A Cardboard Engine

What is your latest project?
oldblindpugh
Cleaner
Cleaner

A Cardboard Engine

Post by oldblindpugh » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:08 pm

I spotted a site on the interweb which advertised garden railway stock to be made from cardboard. http://www.rail-roadmodels.co.uk/. The Corris Hughes loco at Β£25 looked like a good on to have a start on and so same was duly bought.
Its taken me several weeks to assemble the body (no chassis included) and I'm quite pleased with the result. The loco looks good and is quite solid. It is varnished but I won't be running it in damp conditions. As seems to be the way, the instructions contained errors and vagaries, but these were sorted fairly easily. I certainly had my money's worth of fun.
Next up will be a scratch made chassis. The main problem here is finding 40mm -ish diameter 32mm gauge driving wheels that don't bankrupt me. The R/C gear is all ready and tested. (Planet R7M, micro Viper ESC and 9.6V Ni-Cd).
Anyway, here is a photo of the beastie:
OBP
Cardboard Corris
Cardboard Corris
CLR 5.JPG (106 KiB) Viewed 4773 times

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: A Cardboard Engine

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:48 pm

I always under rate card but that looks really good. I was reading a thread on the 7/8th this morning and there were some beautiful card railbuses. The builder actually used cereal packets laminated with pva. I would never leave models outside anyway so makes you wonder whether a bit of card here and there could be useful. Good luck with the chassis.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:20 am

Looks a cheap way of adding to the stock. :thumbright: :thumbright:

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:33 pm

I have used card a fair bit in the past, usually for passenger vehicles. Somewhere I have a IMR 'A' coach that I laminated up in card to 5.5mm scale 25 years ago, and it was still looking pretty good the last time I saw it. The main thing to remember with card is that it needs to be waterproofed. Shellac was the favourite in times past, with us I think plenty of glue and then paint and varnish the finished product would be sufficient, especially if we are quite clear that we are not going to run them in the pelting rain.

Cheers,
+Peter in VA
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:44 am

Is Shellac available still.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:04 am

Is Shellac available still.