Refreshment building

What is your latest project?
LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: Refreshment building

Post by LNR » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:42 am

Many thanks for the information re the enamel signs Rik. I shall have to investigate the vinyl sheet. I figure you guys should be able to test weathering characteristics of an article far quicker than we can, given your weather conditions. The building is looking very good.
I have been using standard paper printed signs soaked all the way through in varnish, glued onto galv. sheet metal, then 3 coats of varnish. It certainly gives them the high gloss of enamel signs and has lasted well.
Grant.
PS have you managed to sort out your Nippies yet :shock: :shock:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:37 am

LNR wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:42 am Many thanks for the information re the enamel signs Rik. I shall have to investigate the vinyl sheet. I figure you guys should be able to test weathering characteristics of an article far quicker than we can, given your weather conditions. The building is looking very good.
I have been using standard paper printed signs soaked all the way through in varnish, glued onto galv. sheet metal, then 3 coats of varnish. It certainly gives them the high gloss of enamel signs and has lasted well.
Grant.
PS have you managed to sort out your Nippies yet :shock: :shock:
Thanks for the description of your approach to enamel signs. I'll let you know how this approach fares but I suspect they will become delaminated before too long.
No, not thought about the Nippies, yet. I need to makes some tables and chairs and a kitchen for them to run between.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:24 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:37 am
LNR wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:42 am
Grant.
I'll let you know how this approach fares but I suspect they will become delaminated before too long.

Rik
Guys,

FWIW, I've used varnish soaked inkjet printed paper signs in several locations and they don't survive more than about 18 months before becoming unreadable. I redid them by laser printing on vinyl sheet and so far they look OK after about a year.
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:25 am

philipy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:24 am
ge_rik wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:37 am
LNR wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:42 am
Grant.
I'll let you know how this approach fares but I suspect they will become delaminated before too long.

Rik
Guys,

FWIW, I've used varnish soaked inkjet printed paper signs in several locations and they don't survive more than about 18 months before becoming unreadable. I redid them by laser printing on vinyl sheet 'paper', and so far they look OK after about a year.
Philip

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:00 am

Maybe it does depend on the weather, this sign has been hanging on the fence for 8 years now, and since looking at this pic. I see it is just starting to deteriorate at the top right.
P7140003.JPG
P7140003.JPG (503.52 KiB) Viewed 5305 times
This one is more recent, been there for 4 1/2 years.
P7140001.JPG
P7140001.JPG (56.92 KiB) Viewed 5305 times
The last one represents a paper sign that I figure would be replaced every so often in real life anyhow, it was Bushells Tea before this.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:54 am

It's been a while since an update on this project. The main reason being that I have been awaiting the delivery of the laser-cut filigree panel which goes above the door. That arrived last week and so I've installed it and finished off the roof (which is only temporarily fixed in place until I finish off the interior)
IMG_6788.JPG
IMG_6788.JPG (129.48 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
-
IMG_6790.JPG
IMG_6790.JPG (134.79 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
-
IMG_6792.JPG
IMG_6792.JPG (134.75 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
-
More info on the build on my blog - https://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... -room.html

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:56 am

That is sublime, Rik. Absolutely fantastic.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Excellent work Rik, superb detailing and finish. Paper based signs will certainly have limited life expectancy but can be protected by first sticking to plastic card with double sided adhesive then wrapping with sticky-back plastic, in true Blue Peter style! As long as all edges and corners are well covered to keep moisture at bay they should last. I have some in use which have survived our wet 'Summer' this year.....
IMG_4318.JPG
IMG_4318.JPG (120.26 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
IMG_4414.JPG
IMG_4414.JPG (144.51 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
A final coating on the reverse with impact adhesive will help seal the joins and bond to the structure.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Beautiful Rik, Well done. Can we see a shot of it in situ, please?

P.S... Love the "Nippy" :D
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:05 pm

I like how you have made the roof Rik and I might use that method as it's easier than using bake bean cans for buildings I bring in over the winter.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback, chaps. Makes it all feel worthwhile.

Thanks, Peter, for the tip on signs. I'll see how long the vinyl lasts and then try your approach when they need replacing.

Philipy - I need to do some landscaping at the intended site before I can take an in-situ photo. I'd like to lay some Jigstones moulded cobbles beforehand - however, I need to cast them first - which I know will be at least a day's work as I have only one small mould and will need quite a few mouldings (probably do it in the garage, with the heater on and Radio 4 on in the background).

Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Hello Rik,

Very nice indeed, I love every aspect of it. It's great to see the progress.

ANdrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"