More on 3D Printing for a complete beginner

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
philipy

Re: More on 3D Printing for a complete beginner

Post by philipy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:16 pm

SimonWood wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:52 pm It's something I would have thought difficult enough to model, but wouldn't having even imagined trying to print!
I agree, very difficult to model, I've tried before without any real success. However, this time the thought process went something like this:

Fireplace----> Needs a fire---> Ebay, LED candles---> Not really the effect I want, Ok, why not get just the components rather than trying to mangle a 'tea light'---> Ooh,they have flickering orange or yellow or red ---> Hmm, by chance I have discount voucher for this sellers own website ---> Orange & Yellow or Orange & Red? Fires don't actually have much red in them, so yellow and orange should do. ---> LED's arrive, tried wrapping in black weed fabric ( black with holes in), Nah, no good. --->Thinks, what I need is a plastic coal wagon load type thing and drill holes, No that won't work. ---> Could cut a piece of perspex and 'distress' it to get a rough surface so the light reflects at different angles - that might work. ---> At this point, bitter experience came into play and I remembered a couple of failed 3D prints with really random rough surfaces, and from there it didn't take a huge leap to imagine how to force it to deliberately print a rough surface. Then it was only half an hour or so with Sketchup to produce the drawing above, and then another half an hour on the printer.
TBH, I wasn't entirely sure how well it would work, but as they say, The proof of the pudding...
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:27 am

philipy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:16 pm
SimonWood wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:52 pm It's something I would have thought difficult enough to model, but wouldn't having even imagined trying to print!
I agree, very difficult to model, I've tried before without any real success. However, this time the thought process went something like this:

Fireplace----> Needs a fire---> Ebay, LED candles---> Not really the effect I want, Ok, why not get just the components rather than trying to mangle a 'tea light'---> Ooh,they have flickering orange or yellow or red ---> Hmm, by chance I have discount voucher for this sellers own website ---> Orange & Yellow or Orange & Red? Fires don't actually have much red in them, so yellow and orange should do. ---> LED's arrive, tried wrapping in black weed fabric ( black with holes in), Nah, no good. --->Thinks, what I need is a plastic coal wagon load type thing and drill holes, No that won't work. ---> Could cut a piece of perspex and 'distress' it to get a rough surface so the light reflects at different angles - that might work. ---> At this point, bitter experience came into play and I remembered a couple of failed 3D prints with really random rough surfaces, and from there it didn't take a huge leap to imagine how to force it to deliberately print a rough surface. Then it was only half an hour or so with Sketchup to produce the drawing above, and then another half an hour on the printer.
TBH, I wasn't entirely sure how well it would work, but as they say, The proof of the pudding...
The creative process :thumbright: :thumbleft: :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Something a bit different this time...
Last weekend, having got the fire and gas light sorted, I realised that the waiting room really needed somebody actually waiting in it. I have a few figures in stock but none of them are seated, which is what I wanted. I went to the 'DSP 3D' website with the intention of buying a couple of suitable characters. However they were displaying a notice saying they were working on the site, "please come back later". This went on for 3 days and in the end I got fed up and went off trawling the 'net. I hadn't realised before but there are loads of companies producing 3d figures for various computer game, CG film, architects and other designers. I think they are intended as the starting point for customisation in the various industries, so needless to say they are pretty pricey. However, a lot of them offer a few freebies to entice the potential customers in. Most of the freebies are standing, arms akimbo, but I did find one rather tasty young lady, sitting down. So this is the result, alongside a fella I got at the same time. It isn't exactly high resolution, but she has been rather viciously scaled down and the printer has given the poor girl a fairly ropey looking face, but it will be Ok indoors where she is difficult to see!
Actually, I had a bit of a problem printing her, because if you imagine the machine working up from the floor, it has to print quite a lot of supports because she is sitting on nothing, with her legs crossed and off the ground, so the first bit of 'her' that it comes to, is the point of a stilletto heel. It was then trying to print the rest of the leg, balanced on that point and it just ain't feasible! In the end I solved the problem by drawing a solid box under that foot, so that the shoe was resting on something solid, and then cutting it off when the print was finished.
DSC_0002 (1).JPG
DSC_0002 (1).JPG (172.14 KiB) Viewed 7170 times
BTW, she is sitting on a lump of BluTak which is why she appears so high.

I have been playing with a few others bits and pieces as well, one of which may be Ok with some more development ( or may be a complete disaster) so I'll expand on that later, and one project which has turned out far better than I thought possible, but isn't ready for public consumption just yet.
Philip

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Very interesting and I like the waiting room bench as well!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Phillip where did you get your figures from? One thing I have been looking for are generic sitting figure stl's.
At the end of this week I hope to post pictures of a customers bridge sides that take 88 hours each to print!

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:41 pm

JMORG wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:28 pm Phillip where did you get your figures from? One thing I have been looking for are generic sitting figure stl's.
At the end of this week I hope to post pictures of a customers bridge sides that take 88 hours each to print!
Now you are asking! I spent an evening trawling Google for " free 3d printable figures" and variations on that theme, and got odd ones here and there as I went. However I only found one or two seated figures.

You could try https://www.artec3d.com/3d-models/healthcare which is where the chap in my piccy came from.

There are thousands of amateurish scans on https://3dprint.com/138134/redwood-data-3d-scan/ but not sure if there are people.

These two are statues that I thought could be customizable https://www.myminifactory.com/object/ca ... razil-5111 and https://www.myminifactory.com/object/ma ... gium-13699

This one is a sort of search engine/catalogue site with all sorts on it http://www.yeggi.com/q/3d+scan/?s=tt

A guy called fredini has a number of scans on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:102202

These look to be quite good but I had a prob with the downloads. http://www.cgvray.com/3d-scanned-people-free-models/

These are nice freebies but not seated. They do a pack of about 8 nice looking seated figures - if you've got $299 going spare! https://www.hdri-hub.com/hdrishop/freesamples

There are probably more, I just got those by going back through my browser history.

Looking forward to seeing the bridge pictures.
Philip

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:59 am

Bridges anyone?
The two faux bridges being made are made up from several printed parts, both based on WHR bridges. For a group member...
The assembled one is 20" long, the glaslyn style one being printed will be 30" when finished.
WP_20170823_20_27_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20170823_20_27_30_Pro.jpg (516.09 KiB) Viewed 6874 times
WP_20170823_20_27_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20170823_20_27_20_Pro.jpg (591.42 KiB) Viewed 6874 times
Wagon strapping?
WP_20170823_20_27_52_Pro.jpg
WP_20170823_20_27_52_Pro.jpg (584.8 KiB) Viewed 6874 times
And some finials for a model of Woody Bay station (another group member).
WP_20170823_20_28_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20170823_20_28_11_Pro.jpg (248.58 KiB) Viewed 6874 times
Finally, a picture of the CEL Robox...
WP_20170823_20_29_33_Pro.jpg
WP_20170823_20_29_33_Pro.jpg (797.93 KiB) Viewed 6874 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:18 pm

They look interesting ( and big!). What filament are you using?

I do like the wagon strapping, very nice.

The finial I am jealous of, I haven't manged anything that complex yet. What material do you use to support the overhangs?

I'm currently wrestling with a 'wrought iron' fence. The verticals are about 1mm x 1.5mm but I can't get the two sides to print as one piece together i.e I get two vertical strips about 0.4mm wide with a gap in the middle which is about 0.2mm wide. The drawing comes up as perfect, when I've checked it, so it must be my machine settings.
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:49 am

I mentioned previously that I was struggling with something that might be a disaster and then a few days ago I said I was struggling with a wrought iron fence. Well, it's still not perfect, but with the 6ft Rule in play I think it's just about acceptable.
Printed in ABS so its reasonably flexible and hopefully will withstand the attentions of Sparrows if not Pigeons and @*&%$! cats.
DSC_0005 small.jpg
DSC_0005 small.jpg (246.35 KiB) Viewed 6818 times
DSC_0003 small.jpg
DSC_0003 small.jpg (434.69 KiB) Viewed 6818 times
The fence panels will slot into the holes in post faces. The gate hinges do work atm, but I think I will probably glue them when its all in place on the platform.
Philip

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:48 am

Brilliant - the effort you put in on these is definitely worth it
Where did I put that uncoupler?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:47 am

Wish i had the brains to do things like this, even if i just did a a box, it would be an achievement for me. :lol:

Some really fantastic work, love the wrought iron gates. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

planty
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by planty » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:25 pm

These are all fantastic, so tempted now!
--
The Methley Joint Railway - http://www.jasonplant.com/Pages/Railway.aspx

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:05 pm

The certainly makes a 3d printer look more tempting . I must have a practice at the drawing side first. It does look like you have mastered it :)

Very tempted by them them lately but thinking i need a need car first, and a single fairlie...........
'Professional Bodge artist '

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Well, I am now approaching the end of my new station project, which all of these items ( and others) are destined for. I've just done a quick tot up and there are currently approx 24 different items, not including the internal stuff, and some of the items have multiple components.

So should be a major ( and final ) update, soon.
Philip