OO Gauge battery power shuttle

What is your latest project?
stevep5b
New User
New User

OO Gauge battery power shuttle

Post by stevep5b » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi all, I would like to convert a Triang DMU to battery power that will run as a shuttle and have worked out the electronics ( I think) but have got stuck with what battery type to use as size is an issue, I'm thinking rechargeable pp9 style.
I'm sure this isn't the first conversion and wonder if other members could help from their experience and whether it will be a success.
Thanks, Steve.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Deltang would be much easier for you as it supports shuttle mode amongst other functions and can be small enough to fit in OO scale.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:23 pm

I agree with Tom, re using Deltang/RC Trains with built in shuttle function.
However regarding battery, unless you are remotoring it as well, I can't see one 9v PP9 having enough Oomph to power an ancient 12v Triang motor for more than a couple of minutes?
Philip

stevep5b
New User
New User

Post by stevep5b » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks Tom and Phil, I can see this route is the easy way to go but remain uncertain due to the cost. I'm not one to throw money at something because it's easy but prefer to get results for as little as £££ possible. This is a project that will run in the background, switched on and left to run and needs to be as low cost as possible.
I never considered the Triang motor to be inefficient and wonder what others you would suggest fitting that will improve the performance and improve running.
Thanks for your comments, Steve.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:58 pm

Is this going to be a micro layout then? If so, then why don't you go down the DCC route and program the decoder (once fitted) on the loco using a SPROG?

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk

If you fancy learning code you could use an Arduino:

https://www.arduino.cc

Have you had the motor apart to see what condition it is in as the brushes may need replacing. Also, is it a 3 pole motor as replacing it with a 5 pole would make a big difference.

Just thought as well if you want the loco to simply go back and forth on DC could the circuit not be on a timer that just changes polarity?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:51 pm

"stevep5b:122719"
I never considered the Triang motor to be inefficient and wonder what others you would suggest fitting that will improve the performance and improve running.
Steve,
Its been 15 years or so since I last scratchbuilt a 4mm loco, so  I have no idea what the current preferred motors are I'm afraid. Back in the day it would have been one of the Portescaps, or perhaps an Anchorage DS10 or DS12, 5-pole motor, although how you would fit any of those into a Triang motor bogie I dread to think, tbh.

I don't know if you have access to a 00 continuous circuit, but I would suggest doing a lash-up by wiring in a PP9 and just see how long it will run for. That way you'll have some idea whether your basic idea is a goer before spending serious money/time.
Philip

stevep5b
New User
New User

Post by stevep5b » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Is this going to be a micro layout then?  It's a bit of both Tom,  the shuttle will work on a shelf display ( branch line)with the option of moving out into the garden (Main line) when the weather is suitable, so I prefer to have the battery in the train and a "dead track" I'm thinking of triggering a reversing circuit with delay timer by something hidden by the track side .

I will rig up a small circle of track to see what the duty cycle is with a pp9, Good Idea.
Thank you for you ideas, Steve.

stevep5b
New User
New User

Post by stevep5b » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi all, I have had a trial with four AA batteries wired directly to a Hornby R3065 running around a circle of track. After two hours of continuous running I measured the battery voltage with the engine pushing against an immovable object to find it at 4.9 volts. So with plenty of capacity available from these style batteries I'll use these instead of one pp9.
Image[/img]