Winter projects

What is your latest project?
Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Winter projects

Post by Snailrail » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:33 pm

Hi everybody,
It's a long time since I've posted anything on here. I keep up with what's going on but I just haven't had anything to contribute. Construction of the railway ground to a halt some time back, mainly because the workforce (i.e. me) keeps getting hijacked onto other non-railway projects. Hopefully this will change as soon as it warms up a bit. I am determined to make some major progress this year before the old knees and hips get too creaky.

Anyway I have managed a couple of railway projects which could be done in the warm so I thought I would write a few lines for those who may be interested.

First was the Roundhouse Garratt, which I wanted to treat to some lining. I had thought about having it professionally done but, having lined a loco before to my satisfaction, I thought I'd give it a go. I ordered it in Crimson Lake hoping that it would match my Accucraft NGG16 (I like Garratts !) but have to say I was rather disappointed when it arrived as it looked more brown to me - not my idea of Crimson and quite different from the big Garratt.

However I didn't want to go as far as respraying the whole thing. It looked like a lot of dismantling would be necessary to be able to do the boiler, so I got on with the lining. I use a Peter Spoerer lining pen which seems to produce excellent results with a bit of practice. My first attempt on the front tank I wasn't very happy with. I find for best results the lines need to be done in one continuous movement at a steady speed. I couldn't manage this - I think it was the thought of ruining a £3.5k loco causing my hand to shake !

I wiped it all off with white spirit and started again and eventually finished the job to my satisfaction. I also sprayed the rear of the front tank and the front of the rear bunker, and the insides of both, satin black. The factory finish is excellent but I do think a loco looks a bit toy like when everything, inside and out, is all the same colour.

Then disaster struck. I prefer a satin finish to a high gloss so I thought I'd give it a spray over with satin varnish. I didn't know that Humbrol acrylic varnish is not compatible with Humbrol enamel paint. As soon as the spray touched the rear bunker all the black bits turned into a crinkle finish, like an old MGB dashboard. I was a tad displeased ! Fortunately I managed to remove it all back to the base colour with plenty of white spirit and start all over again. The upside is that I think I made a better job of it second time around. And it's going to stay shiny !

So here is the finished article, maybe not quite up to a professional job but I'm happy with it

You may also notice a couple of modifications. I didn't really like the large lamps front and back. I'm not worried about it being prototypically correct, I just bought it because it's a nice little Garratt. So I made a new top for the front tank and a new shorter cab roof and stored the originals away in the box. I think it looks better.

And here it is with its big brother. I'm happy that I've matched the lining pretty well. Just a pity it's not crimson . . . .

Brian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Looks like a very good job to me, one I would certainly be proud to show off myself. Beautiful locos just to see static.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:38 pm

that's very very impressive a good job done

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:29 pm

The RH Maroon would've been a closer match... The RH Crimson lake is essentially Madder lake which is a lighter shade. Two of my own engines are in the Crimson lake colour.

I like the lining on it! I too would be a bit shakey on a loco like that!
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Snailrail » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:42 pm

Thanks for the comments.
For my next little project I decided to go to the opposite extreme, in size and age, and give my rather neglected meths fired Lady Anne a bit of attention. This was my first loco, bought new around 1984, before I even had any proper track laid. I steamed it a few times up and down a few yards of track laid on the garden path and then lost interest in the garden railway thing.

For a few years it sat on a shelf in the shed gathering dust until my interest returned. I have steamed it a couple of times in recent years but it has still hardly been used in its 33 years. It was however looking rather scruffy and uncared for so it was time to smarten her up a bit.

All dismantled for respray. As it's had so little use the mechanics are fine so I didn't touch the chassis apart from giving it a good wash down and some fresh oil.

Boiler and body resprayed and brassy bits polished up

One (almost) brand new 1984 Lady Anne. I was planning a bit of simple lining but I think I'll leave it as it is.

Must try to give her a bit more exercise from now on.

Brian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:16 am

What a transformation, she looks gorgeous!
Lovely job.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Winter projects

Post by GTB » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Snailrail:122482 wrote: So here is the finished article, maybe not quite up to a professional job but I'm happy with it.
The little Garratt looks very nice. The lining is nicely done and the modifications have considerably improved it's looks.

I'm not a fan of the DHR Garratt in it's later years, especially the headlights, and had wondered what the model would look like if taken back to as built condition.

It now has the look of a ng version of the industrial Garratts used in the UK, like the preserved William Francis from Baddesley Colliery. Although that cab would be a bit draughty in a british winter I should imagine.

My avatar indicates my preferred shade of red....... ;)

Regards,
Graeme

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:11 am

That Lady Anne makeover has come out very well Brian.

What is the oval shaped ring at the bottom of the combustion chamber (in the 2nd photo) - a coiled main steam pipe?

Chris Cairns

Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Snailrail » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks for the kind comments.

Graeme,
Agreed, apart from the outside frames and the draughty cab, they look very similar. Here, looking a bit sad at Bressingham in 2014

Chris,
Yes that's correct. In much the same way as today's gas fired locos reheat it in the burner tube. I suppose they looped it round to get a bit more heat out of the meths burners.
Brian

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:19 am

Thank You for your reply Brian.

When I first started looking to 'raise the bar' with my Garden Railway fleet, the modern 0-6-0 Lady Anne just did not do it for me, although these earlier meths fired locos were tempting, but not found one at the right price so far.

Chris Cairns