Second jigstone building

What is your latest project?
mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Second jigstone building

Post by mymodeltrain » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:21 pm

This is my second jigstone building in progress. It has been several months since I started the project but I will take advantage of Christmas Holidays for a final push.

More update of the progress.

I spent a few hours during the weekend to touch up the outside of the building. Further, I also put in a wood column and panel in the empty room. So far, everything is done for the exterior, now I will focus on interior.

I just add some more decorations for the building. It rained in the past 10 days in Nashville, the weather is wet but I saw some budding plants in the garden railway; I can't wait to see flowers soon.

Last edited by mymodeltrain on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:33 pm

That's going to be a nice building when finished. That could live in the Australian scene with perhaps a corrugated iron roof. (thinking, thinking) Speaking of which, what is the roofing material you have used? I do envy you guys and your stone buildings.
Grant.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:52 pm

LNR:121533 wrote:That's going to be a nice building when finished. That could live in the Australian scene with perhaps a corrugated iron roof. (thinking, thinking) Speaking of which, what is the roofing material you have used? I do envy you guys and your stone buildings.
Grant.
I agree, the roof will be nice if we chose the right material; that is what I always struggle. The roof of the building is the same roof used for my house.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:18 am

I am always impressed with the results from the use of Jigstones. Limited only by your own imagination, the variety of structures is endless.
Either corrugated sheet or slates would be suitable to give a convincing finish on this building and be in character.
Does it have a purpose at this stage?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:00 pm

Worth considering is that the roof is the part of the building most on view even if your railway is ground level and its worth it to get it looking as good as you can.
Brandbright is back in business though their 'Materials' section is still not stocked.  I've used their brilliant roofing sheets before and can recommend them especially their corrugated iron.  I'm assuming they will be producing these sheets again.  
Failing that the National Show is in early April and there will be plenty of options available there.  If you can't wait then I'm sure you will get some advice on building some of your own.  
I would suggest you don't attempt to use the jigstones roofing sheets as they are very small and you would need to assemble the units and camouflage the joins.  

Also, as you add to the building keep checking the weight of the whole thing.  I have a terrace of 2 storey miner's cottages and I need my wife's help to get them onto the workbench.

Here is an old photo of a building I made for a friend. The roof is cut from a sheet of fibreglass moulded roofing slates and is robust enough not to require any supports or sub layer. This makes the job easier, if you can get hold of the stuff.

Good luck
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:34 pm

Peter Butler:121541 wrote:I am always impressed with the results from the use of Jigstones.  Limited only by your own imagination, the variety of structures is endless.
Either corrugated sheet or slates would be suitable to give a convincing finish on this building and be in character.
Does it have a purpose at this stage?
I have no idea yet, but probably a farm house. There is a large opening on the other end of the building, I may fit a tractor in. If you have any idea please let me know.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:42 pm

andymctractor:121542 wrote:Worth considering is that the roof is the part of the building most on view even if your railway is ground level and its worth it to get it looking as good as you can.
Brandbright is back in business though their 'Materials' section is still not stocked.  I've used their brilliant roofing sheets before and can recommend them especially their corrugated iron.  I'm assuming they will be producing these sheets again.  
Failing that the National Show is in early April and there will be plenty of options available there.  If you can't wait then I'm sure you will get some advice on building some of your own.  
I would suggest you don't attempt to use the jigstones roofing sheets as they are very small and you would need to assemble the units and camouflage the joins.  

Also, as you add to the building keep checking the weight of the whole thing.  I have a terrace of 2 storey miner's cottages and I need my wife's help to get them onto the workbench.

Here is an old photo of a building I made for a friend.  The roof is cut from a sheet of fibreglass moulded roofing slates and is robust enough not to require any supports or sub layer.  This makes the job easier, if you can get hold of the stuff.

Good luck

Thanks Andy for the experience. I agree jigstone roof is too thin and too small, not very practical for large building. If use Jigston roof, I guess we must have a support roofing slates since I am afraid they can't stand by themselves if we join multiple pieces.
Yes, it is true, the building is very heavy but strong.
Your building is nice. I will keep learning from you and others.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:01 pm

mymodeltrain:121543 wrote:
Peter Butler:121541 wrote: Does it have a purpose at this stage?
I have no idea yet, but probably a farm house. There is  a large opening on the other end of the building, I may fit a tractor in. If you have any idea please let me know.
Difficult to know what type of structures you need on your railway without some background info. It looks as though it could become a workshop, especially with a large entrance you describe, something like....

Or possibly an estate office if you have open ground to fill?

For my own slate roof effect I use black Plastikard and have described the method elsewhere, but it is simply scribed into the width of slates and cut into strips to be laid onto a flat supporting plastic sheet, which makes it strong but lightweight....

The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:20 pm

Peter Butler:121545 wrote:
mymodeltrain:121543 wrote:
Peter Butler:121541 wrote: Does it have a purpose at this stage?
I have no idea yet, but probably a farm house. There is  a large opening on the other end of the building, I may fit a tractor in. If you have any idea please let me know.
Difficult to know what type of structures you need on your railway without some background info.   It looks as though it could become a workshop, especially with a large entrance you describe, something like....

Or possibly an estate office if you have open ground to fill?

For my own slate roof effect I use black Plastikard and have described the method elsewhere, but it is simply scribed into the width of slates and cut into strips to be laid onto a flat supporting plastic sheet, which makes it strong but lightweight....

Good idea, when I look at Andy McMahon's building I also have an idea of turning it into a workshop. I need to decorate abit inside, specifically, an interior wall should be installed to cover the jigstone wall.