Just dropping in

What is your latest project?
RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Just dropping in

Post by RylstonLight » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi guys, havn't been around for some time as (real) work has been limiting leisure time. Nice to see that most of you are still here. However had few days off so there has been some progress on Rylston Station. Don't hold your breath for the finished article! It will probably be years.

Image[/img]
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Liking the sand

Post by markoteal » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Welcome back

I like a long project - always chance for it to develop

Quick question - what did you use for the scale sand? - I have some fire buckets that I need to top out with sand
Where did I put that uncoupler?

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:26 pm

The station is under a plate glass mirror to ensure its level, but I thought to dress it up with ladder and wheelbarrow etc. to make it look less a model in construction. Thought a pile of sand would look nice.

It's sculpted from plasticene, then dusted with kitchen salt. The I used Silgum to form a mold then cast in Isopon type resin. The salt tends to stick in the Silgum mold but warm water soon dissolves it.

It was a bit wasteful for a gimmick, but I thought that a line of sand piles along a stretch of wall might feature on any resurrected Rylston Light Rly.

At present I thought I have a few projects to add to my meagre stock of buildings. One day I might plant an "instant" railway.
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Thanks

Post by markoteal » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:17 pm

Thank you for sharing your approach - you are right, piles of sand are useful, especially around many NG railways, especially freight and loco depots
Where did I put that uncoupler?