Without a paddle...

What is your latest project?
laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Without a paddle...

Post by laurence703 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:36 pm

So for a few years now there has been a modular layout at the National Garden Railway show in Peterborough. I've always liked the idea of making my own module to go into the layout but my wood working skills aren't the best so making a module from scratch (for the time being) was out of the question. I had one baseboard from a past N gauge layout left over in the garage which was a bit narrow and slightly too short to be used in its original state.

So out with the jigsaw and other powertools... I ended up with this...

The plan was to have a culvert originally but like all things, subject to change which it did.

The bridge was made of electrical conduit and then the tops claded with wood. A footbridge has been made in a similar fashion.

Track was dropped on top to make sure the top of the bridge was level with the top of the board before the sleepers were cut three at first but then I opted for five as it looked better and made the bridge look longer.

A platform was dropped in to see if it would look good with my leek and manifold waiting room / toilet on it.

A L&M coach was used as a "if this fits, everything will fit" but then I read the specs on the 16mm page and pushed it back further... the Roundhouse VoR is really wide!

While all this was going on I made a Foamboard Culvert to fill the hole...

and then painted it and glued rocks in...

I also made the classic mistake of ballasting the track before doing the main ground cover...

So thought I'd better do something about that and painted the board green... its amazing how far a tin of Humbrol Enamel goes...

I then had a moment of madness and ripped the foam board culvert out to replace it with an actual working water feature...

This was made using a piece of plastic guttering, some stones from the garden and a few lumps of ballast from work, a plant pot, some jenga bricks, a length of hose, a stack n store and a pond pump.
It took a fair bit to get it to seal resulting in using half a tube of silicon at one end and a lot of hot glue at the other end.

But it sealed eventually! and so making it less obvious what it really is had begun...

A few odds and sods were thrown in to make it look natural or as natural as you can get with a coopercraft wheelset and a peco sleeper in a stream... but its not unknown!
I had planned on having a little goods loading bay on the end of the platform with a pick up truck collecting some milk urns... but the steering wheel is on the wrong side and its a very american car so its now been removed in favour of a wide path to the station.
Had a bit of a photo shoot because the stream was now disguised...

The fencing is our favourite material... coffee stirrers! Painted brown

and the foot crossing is a mix of balsa wood and foam board.

Again, painted brown...

I found a coarse sand that isn't far off scale for a gravel so a tub of that later and I have made a few footpaths from it. It may get a bit of paint on it to tone it down a bit but I kinda like it as it is.

It's even good for creekbeds...

But overall it looks good!

Now I'm starting on the small details to add that little bit of extra wow... and I've started with an old saying. The Station is called "Upchit Creek" and has a Paddle stand for the local water sports centre at the end of the footpath... unfortunately the Paddle salesman is out of stock so those who don't bring their own are up a creek without a paddle...

Now there's one corner of the module that is a bit barren at the moment... well it was until earlier today when a piece of oo gauge track was laid to represent 15" gauge with a small loco and two wagons. There's also a water tower. If and when I build more modules then this will get longer and indeed work.

At present all it needs is grass and platform furniture and it can be called finished but I have plans to put a real plant on it somewhere as well if I can get it to fit without compromising the structural integrity of the module.
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

JCSteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by JCSteam » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Superb, I really like that stream :)

Also a 15" gauge mini ride on railway sounds pretty fun, and relatively easy to do :D

I look forward to seeing the modules increase ;)

Would the mini ride on stuff not be 12.5" gauge?? That was always my thought :|
Jon

Have fun steaming
Now put the kettle on....sit back and browse my webpage  http://fwpl.webs.com/

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:56 pm

I am seriously impressed! There is a lot of thought and experience involved in this and it has paid dividends. So far I haven't seen a modular layout assembled but looking forward to it.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:58 pm

I'm not really sure but in terms of scale it could be either for example:

This is the Cagney... its really small on 15" gauge and would be quite happy on 12.5" or 10.25" gauges. It was also built to run on 16" gauge.

Locos used on it will be of no particular scale... even though they'll be standard gauge outline...

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:00 pm

Peter Butler:119738 wrote:I am seriously impressed!  There is a lot of thought and experience involved in this and it has paid dividends. So far I haven't seen a modular layout assembled but looking forward to it.
I have literally been making it up as I go along! lol!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:05 pm

Nice job

JCSteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by JCSteam » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:07 pm

laurence703:119740 wrote:
Peter Butler:119738 wrote:I am seriously impressed!  There is a lot of thought and experience involved in this and it has paid dividends. So far I haven't seen a modular layout assembled but looking forward to it.
I have literally been making it up as I go along! lol!
It looks brilliant and very natural, you should give yourself more credit :)
Jon

Have fun steaming
Now put the kettle on....sit back and browse my webpage  http://fwpl.webs.com/

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:25 pm

I dont think the indoor photos do it justice Laurence.

Would it be possible to get it outside in the sun tomorrow to take extra photos please?

Using the OO scale stuff as 15" is a brilliant idea, could of done that with my stuff but all sold now.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:35 pm

If it's not raining I could do... means emptying the sump of water first otherwise its rather heavy.

It still needs grass of some sort and is still a WIP.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:25 am

I really like that Laurence. How long did it all take ( not including the carpentry)?
Philip

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:56 am

I already had the baseboard but modified it to suit in an hour or two... on and off its taken about a month so far... roughly... got a few more bits to do yet.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:19 pm

A few pics of it outdoors. It's not a light module... it's bloomin heavy and that's with the sump empty.

Few bits to do still...

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:15 pm

Superb job Lawrence. I love your stream detailing, the low level shots are very realistic. It was well worth the effort of taking it outside, the improved lighting really brings it to life, there is a lot more to see in the more natural condtions.

A waybeam bridge is an unusual subject and you've captured it very well. Model ones are the best sort, the real thing are a pain in the proverbial. I had four of the things when I was a Pway Section Manager and they made my teeth itch!

The footbridge is also a very interesting piece of work, I love the construction, it's another very convincing feature.

Where did you find the sand for the ballast, I like that a lot too, although I suspect it may be prohibitively expensive for the quantities i would need it in outside!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:27 pm

I do like the miniature railway, although if anyone is going to be sitting astride the brake van, the chimney might give a nasty surprise :lol:
Last edited by Big Jim on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:28 pm

The sand is another work special... discarded sander sand from multiple units... The waste is in two piles outside the test bay.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:57 pm

Big Jim:119762 wrote:I do like the miniature railway, although if anyone is going to be sitting astride the brake van, the chimney might give a nasty surprise :lol:
That will be addressed in time... I'm looking for a cheap one of these:

so I can turn it into this: (yes that is a much younger me)

And make some of these with it:

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:00 am

Wonderful, much better outside. The light really lifts the detail. Marvelous what you can get into a small space. Well done.
Grant.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:36 pm

It's really not far off now... just a few more minor details like platform stuff and then it's pretty much done.

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5849BED1

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Laurence, Hornby did a Toy Story train set and I believe the loco supplied would suit your needs:

I am sure you can buy one second hand cheaply from somewhere...

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:55 pm

I did look at the Toy Story one but it lacks the rods from cylinder to lead driver and there's no tender. It's effectively a toy so it comes out much too big scale wise as well.