Anyone building platforms?!!!

What is your latest project?
pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Anyone building platforms?!!!

Post by pippindoo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:53 am

Greetings! Have a nosey at this link, marble mosaic floor tiles on ebay, reduced from £11.99 to £4.98! Each tile provides 64 2cm x 1 cm pieces which to my eyes, would make ideal platform edging stone. Theyre 1cm thick and everyone always has half a pot of tile adhesive tucked away somewhere, it would be a simple job to lay a line of them and then infill with cement etc.Gotta be a bargain! Mine are en route already...

Struggling to copy and paste the link but the ebay item number is 162106560169

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:37 am

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TUMBLED-E ... 2106560169

I would be interested to see your results once you have built the platform.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:44 am

Hi, I've used these tiles for my platforms and they are very good.  They are made of some kind of hard italian stone.  I stuck mine to the concrete/brick track base using builder's SBR but I imagine many other weather proof adhesives would work.
Once the tiles are removed from the backing webbing it helpful to clean off most of the glue from the base.  I used an old wood rasp and held the tiles upside down on my bench between two scraps of wood in a jig like set up.
I glued the edge tiles in place forming a complete boundary then filled in with mortar topped with SBR and chicken grit.
My platforms have been in place for a number of years now.

Take a look at my website to see the result.  
The picture on the home page shows them.
Also all the stations on the STATIONS page except Bramley Bank and Sequoi Falls uses them.  The picture of Temple Halt shows a platform with the tiles glued down but with no infill.
These tiles may also be used to represent block built walls.  Take a look at the wall that extends behind the station building at Bramley Bank and also at Crowfoot Hall Station with the wall near the telephone box.

www.crowfootlightrailway.webs.com

PS  I bought my supply from a local tile supplier who had a box of rejects they were selling very cheap.  Some of the tiles had fallen off the original backing web.  No problem for me of course and I didn't have postage to contend with.  Worth a look if you have a local tile supplier.

Another view of the railway that has been shown on here a few time before.
https://youtu.be/Gfqa_6PtOQs

Good luck
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

planty
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by planty » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:26 pm

Used them on my platform for the brickwork using the short edge and then for the platform edging itself.

--
The Methley Joint Railway - http://www.jasonplant.com/Pages/Railway.aspx

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:05 am

I have used thin white onesfor platform edging, I seem to recall I soaked the sheets to make removal easier. Some would come clean some a small brush off. Stuck to a concrete tile for the upright with green tube gripfill, pink will give future disasters....

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:08 am

andymctractor:119187 wrote:I glued the edge tiles in place forming a complete boundary then filled in with mortar topped with SBR and chicken grit.
My platforms have been in place for a number of years now.
Just a word or two of warning. This may seem obvious but this did catch me out. On Crowfoot Station platform the top of the edge tiles were not levelish. i.e. at one end they were slightly lower as the trackbed it was built on was on a very slight slope. This was not obvious when I poured in the SBR chicken grit infil. This mix and some others takes several hours to solidify and a couple of days to fully harden. I left this one overnight and woke up to find lots of the infil material had overflowed the edge tiles and gunged up my trackwork.
A way to get round this would be to use a thick and good mix of mortar then dust on the chicken grit in a peddle dash fashion.
I do like the SBR chicken grit though as it dries to a hard resin like finish and can be walked on provided the sub structure is up to it.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)