Staple Hill Railway - New Line

What is your latest project?
James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:01 pm

Here is the latest update from Staple Hill.

I had this week off work and I had planned how much I would be able to get done in the garden. The weather, however, had other ideas and since we have now reached the monsoon season, most of the week was spent in the workshop. Managed a couple of runs and by the end of the week, a certain new kit built loco was in steam :)

A lot of this update is some smaller details and workshop jobs but hope you like it:

A Modeltown warehouse takes shape:

The Warehouse in place at Ashbusket along with the station name board which is made with Slaters plastic letters on a plasticard back panel, with plasticard strips around the outside. The whole thing is then glued between 2 aluminium tubes with fishing beads superglued on top!

I managed to progress a few items of rolling stock in the workshop, here is a Swift Sixteen well wagon more or less finished but awaiting weathering:

And this is second MOD powder wagon from IP underway (fitted with swift Sixteen wheels)

Coaling stage with detail on the track. I am trying for realism around the engine shed.

I have been trying to make the floor around the sheds look realistic. Having coated the area with dyed black cement, I have been crushing coal, mixing the dust with thick oil and brushing it on every few days for a a few weeks...this is how it looks, I am pretty happy with this.

Signs on Staple Hill Station wall:

And last but not least...please welcome our new arrival:... I have started a new topic over on the steam loco forum to cover the build of this loco :)

As always, thanks for looking and thanks for all the feedback and support, it makes a huge difference!

Cheers

Jim
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:11 pm

Excellent James.... great work on all of your projects. You have nailed the appearance of the track in the shed area, it looks most convincing.
Everything looks just right, despite the weather trying to put a stop to it.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:34 pm

Hi James,

Well, you've made some excellent progress there. The shed yard looks fantastic, the size of the material it's surfaced in is spot on. I can only hope to come somewhere close when I reach that point myself.

I was on holiday in Devon at the start of the week before last and not a little disappointed by the weather. It sounds like we had a better deal than last week though so you've made me feel a little better about it. The weather up here in the Midlands has confounded me somewhat this week too, not least today which has been a garden write off, so I can share your frustrations.

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:47 pm

James from Devon:120278 wrote:Image
Superb. My loco yard is due a makeover this winter so method duly noted, thank you.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:57 pm

Soar Valley Light:120282 wrote:Hi James,

I was on holiday in Devon at the start of the week before last

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, your very kind as always...next time, drop in for a steam up and a cup of tea!

:)
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:59 pm

TonyW:120284 wrote:
James from Devon:120278 wrote:Image
Superb. My loco yard is due a makeover this winter so method duly noted, thank you.
A pleasure! thanks for your comments :)

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Peter Butler:120279 wrote:Excellent James.... great work on all of your projects.  You have nailed the appearance of the track in the shed area, it looks most convincing.  
Everything looks just right, despite the weather trying to put a stop to it.
Cheers Peter.

I would lead a very satisfied life if I could control the weather! There is nothing more annoying than watching the sun out of your office window on a Monday when it rained all weekend.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:41 pm

I hear you James regarding the weather. It has been alright this past week in Kent and then this weekend, utter rubbish!

I like the engine shed ground work as well as my efforts using crushed coal and dirt just get washed away!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:51 pm

Wonderful scenic work James, I have an adage when modeling, "If all else fails, do it like the real ones" Been using diesel oil in various places around my track for years. Your shed "ground" looks spot on.
Grant.

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:50 pm

Really short mini update. Not much happening in the garden as the weather is pretty bad and I have been focusing on workshop projects which can be seen in other threads but a milestone was reached on Sunday with our first visitors. Mark and Malcolm brought along a car full of locos and a great afternoon was had by all!

I didn't take many pictures and my videos are not great but Mark did take some video so we will get hopefully have some to upload soon.

Image[/url]

A garden line full of lovely locos and great mates...perfect sunday afternoon!

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:21 pm

Tiny update! Not much if anything done in the Garden now its colder but plenty happening in the workshop. I have added a new video of the Roundhouse Katie over on the live steam page and here is a little video of Mark and Malcolm's visit to the line last month.... Mark made a better video... I shall try harder!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkBEMXJ-oA8[/video]

Enjoy and thanks for looking.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:13 pm

Very impressive James, your railway has become well established with the planting and structures, everything looks just right.
Some nice trains there too!

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:40 pm

I can't believe its been 3 months since the last update. Been pretty much confined to the workshop over the winter but with some lovely weather in Devon this weekend I ventured out to awake the garden and railway from their winter slumber.

I am hoping to get the heavy work in the garden more of less done by Easter so I can focus more on the railway.

Hope you like the pictures:

The coal train in Staple Hill station:

New rake of coaches finished off over the winter. They are the IP engineering basic range but with end steps, passengers, Swift Sixteen roof vents and interior lights. I was after some coaches that would run with Accucraft locos and the Shelly Tram and be roughly right scale:

"Mind Your Own Business" planted at the back of platform 2, hopefully, this will finish off this area nicely:

Starting the stonework for the higher level area of the balloon loop, this will form the base for the village:

Overall shot of the lower end of the garden, just a little paving to be completed. The points going to nowhere are for a future extension:

Almost 12 months to the day after I started digging a trench here for the railway foundation and the line is starting to mature nicely and the moss is finally starting to grow:

Last shot of the station:

Thanks for reading my posts and lets hope for good weather this spring. Happy steaming people!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:13 pm

All looking very well established now, the planting is developing nicely. I am waiting to see how you get on with your village as I am working towards installing mine during this year.
Please keep us informed.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Well done James. Your line is looking good. There's is some clear evidence of it settling into the landscape. I take great encouragement from it. I've been out in the garden myself today working on construction but I'm still very much at the civil engineering stage. Tracklaying is still a little way off for me yet.

Keep us posted on your line. It looks great.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Great photos James , line has settled in nicely. I like the first shot, passengers waiting for their train, only to find a coal train pulled up!
I imagine it won't be long before you'll be out with the shears cutting back the MYOB.
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:05 am

As the others have said, it is all looking rather tasty.
Philip

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks for all the lovely comments guys... If any of you find yourselves in the wilds of Devon then feel free to message me and do pop in for a steam up. :)

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:36 pm

I decided to have a run of a couple of trains today:

Video for anyone who's interested:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHDIQzs ... e=youtu.be[/video]

Happy steaming

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:52 pm

Lovely shots on a beautiful day James. The line looks quite spectacular now and your stock fits in just right.