Staple Hill Railway - New Line

What is your latest project?
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Re: Staple Hill Railway - New Line

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:37 pm

Hello Jim,

What a great little video. Your line runs through a very attractive landscape and your planting is really lovely. Nicely established and well managed.

Rik's quite right about the video of the goods too!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:02 am

Have to agree with Andrew your landscaping is classy and we'll maintained. I do like regner models, had a hankering for a Vincent but Baldrig ate the cash.

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:35 pm

Hello everyone!

I can't believe my last post was in June - I should be sacked from the forum!

Here's hoping you all had a wonderful summer with loads of running. Since my last post, things have slowed somewhat, work has been ridiculous in the last 6 months and on my odd days off, we didn't have good weather. The good news is that I managed to get my bosses to hire a couple of new guys so with luck, 100 hour weeks are now a thing of the past and i can get back to my railway next year.

I have managed a few good running days but most other progress has been confined to the workshop - but, there are a few fun projects on the go. If you've been following my posts you will know that I have been experimenting with 3D printing and resin casting and I have got the hang of good mould making for resin models. So far, I have my own axleboxes, a brake van, box van and two small open wagons as well as a small loco nearly ready. I'm selling the odd new wagon on Ebay just to offset the cost of the silicone for the moulds and to make a little to spend on the railway. It's been nice to meet a couple of people who bought from me on Ebay and came around for a run on the line.

A few weeks of dry weather and I should be able to start laying track on the extension around the other half of the garden and I am planning on having that finished by Easter to allow a whole summer of great running with no building work in the high heat.

Anyway, here are a few pictures for now. There is also a link for Youtube of today's running session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnioAiQres0&t=67s

A few images of the railway and how its maturing, I am happy with it for the most part. There are a couple of trackside areas that have not turned out like I planned but I will correct these in the spring with luck:

The blockwork for the trackbed of the start of the extension to the other side of the garden

Brakevans and Box Vans in various stages. The masters for the moulds are shown in the first image. I use wood and plasticard for most of the masters but also 3D printed parts for items like axle holders as well as masters for the buffers and couplings. The roof sections are made from 2 layers of coffer stirrers. My next job is to make a mould for these

New freelance loco underway, the body is more or less finished. Made from plasticard and some 3D printed parts as well as a couple of hundred rivets! This is my first attempt at lining. I am not at all happy with it and need more practice so this will have a rub down and a new top coat. Should be running quite soon.

This is a prototype of a new, freelance small industrial loco destined for my stone works and quarry (when I finishing building the stone works and quarry!) Made from resin and 3D printed parts, it should be a fun little loco. I am fine tuning the chassis design at the moment and obviously, the dangling switches are temporary. The loco will have a corrugated roof on four round posts.

Think that's it for now. If you are in the South West and want a run you are welcome to PM me.

Happy steaming and I'll try not to leave it another 6 moths this time!

:)
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:57 pm

Great to see you back James, your castings look very good, I wish you success with them.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 am

Thought you'd been quiet recently. Very impressive James, I must have a look at ebay!

The layout looks to be bedding in nicely, as well.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 am

I thought I recognised your line on some of those eBay listings.

The line is maturing very well.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:35 am

Welcome back James - as you know, I sussed you out on eBay recently and I've been tempted by your various wagon offerings - the next time you are making a Box Van, let me know - I'll save you some eBay fees!

I think I am suffering from the 16mm garden railway affliction of wagonitus (just can't stop myself from buying/building/making them) but there's always room for 'just one more'!

Cheers

Mark
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Good to see you back James,

I saw your ebay auctions, they looked very good, I hope they sold well.

Your line is look really good now it's settling into its landscape. Things are becoming really well established. I look forward very much to seeing pictures of the new extension.

Andrew

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:48 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:25 pm Good to see you back James,

I saw your ebay auctions, they looked very good, I hope they sold well.

Your line is look really good now it's settling into its landscape. Things are becoming really well established. I look forward very much to seeing pictures of the new extension.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew.

I'm not launching into a stock building business, rather the odd item as I build them. I have a (very) full time job!

If you find yourself on the South Devon Railway, give me a shout...I'm within earshot of Totnes Littlehempston.

Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:50 pm

markoteal wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:35 am Welcome back James - as you know, I sussed you out on eBay recently and I've been tempted by your various wagon offerings - the next time you are making a Box Van, let me know - I'll save you some eBay fees!

I think I am suffering from the 16mm garden railway affliction of wagonitus (just can't stop myself from buying/building/making them) but there's always room for 'just one more'!

Cheers

Mark
Hey Mark.

Nice to chat on Ebay! If you want any bits made, just give me a shout. I make things as and when I have time. I am like you, I really enjoy the process of making stock and locos but I can't keep them all....unless I want to be single with a house full of trains!

Give me a shout next time you are down this way (and likewise, if im in Kent)

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:52 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 am I thought I recognised your line on some of those eBay listings.

The line is maturing very well.
Thanks Tom...Oh god! Is my line getting recognisable??

I had a visit from a guy who has his own line and he confessed a couple of his mates had visited and looked over the fence at the railway.... I don;t mind if they rung the bell and say hello!

Hope you are well

Cheers

J

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 am Thought you'd been quiet recently. Very impressive James, I must have a look at ebay!

The layout looks to be bedding in nicely, as well.
Thanks Phil!

Nice to be back and catching up with the forums.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:14 pm

James from Devon wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:48 pm
Thanks Andrew.

I'm not launching into a stock building business, rather the odd item as I build them. I have a (very) full time job!

If you find yourself on the South Devon Railway, give me a shout...I'm within earshot of Totnes Littlehempston.

I'll definitely bear that in mind. I've been talking to the SDR again recently, including about plans for Littlehempston. I think I've sorted that one out without having to come down but there was talk of some work at Bishop's as well which may well require measuring up on site. If so I shall try and arrange a visit if time permits.

All the best,

Andrew

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:58 am

Great James - will do

The next time you are doing casts of the van, give me a shout

Cheers

Mark
Where did I put that uncoupler?