3D printed chopper couplings

What is your latest project?
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

3D printed chopper couplings

Post by JMORG » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:45 pm

I'm drawing up some choppers, based on the small Brandbright brass couplers and to be compatible with them...
Anyone know if they'll be man enough? If not I might print a set and see if anyone is interested in selling them as castings in brass![/b]

tuppenced
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tuppenced » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:54 pm

I can't speak for the "animated glue-gun" type of home 3D printer.

I've had some couplers made in flexible plastic and, like you, I'm not sure how they'd stand up to use.

However I have had some very good results from Shapeways "Steel'. Prints are made from stainless steel dust, initially held lightly together by glue which is then replaced by bronze solder as the glue. It it textured like an iron casting, and it's readily workable with hand and machine tools.

I haven't yet tried their new Aluminium prints which are laser-sintered.

The cost of these prints - or at least the necessary test prints - is dwarfed by the cost of postage. The trick with that is to prepare the models, sign up for Shapeways emails, and wait patiently for one of Shapeways occasional Free Postage weekends.

David

IRON MAN
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by IRON MAN » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:22 pm

Can do some test prints if you like. Its something on the my list to 3d Print.

Dan

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:56 pm

What has Reality done for you lately?

tuppenced
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tuppenced » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:12 am

Here's a picture showing you can rotate the Model in your browser to see other surfaces:

Worth contacting the Designer.

- When  I have bought some nominally 1/24 couplers from another Shapeways bod I found them to be far too small. Maybe worth a check in case.

- Interesting choice of materials on offer. When I used Strong and Flexible to 'prove' my smaller 1/32 scale couplers, they were too bendy and I switched to bronze-filled steel - even looks like cast iron.

- the price is reasonable as long as the couplers work, but quite steep if they don't. Might he consider individual pairs for customers to try out? That's what one can do when designing one's own.

I don't like choppers myself, preferring bell-mouths. For those, I find that Talisman "16mm" brass castings are the right size for 1/24 scale.
http://modelearth.net/couplers%20and%20 ... 016mm.html

David 1/2d