Price Meyer Class Arb

What is your latest project?
tuppenced
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tuppenced » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:44 pm

Gralyn:115503 wrote:Watch out if you ever go to vari-focal. no more straight lines.   :(
Nah!
I do know what you mean, but there are no straight lines on a spherical retina anyway - straight lines are all in the mind, literally. Although I desperately resisted Varifocals as long as I possibly could, once I'd got them, my braincell soon adapted, just as it had to the distinctive distortions of each previous new pair of specs.
(Except to working on ceiling electrics, where I need close vision above my head. THAT's where Varifocals let one down big-time. Sometimes I put my specs on upside down - luckily I have enough hair to hold them on - and a big enough conk.)

David

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:59 pm

That's what I found too when I went to vari-focals or progressive lenses as they are sometimes called. At first I found them strange, but very quickly my brain learned to work with them. I think I shall have to go and get my eyes looked at though because I'm having problems and I'm not sure if It's a result of having been ill or something else going on.

The Price Meyer is slowly progressing, - no pictures as yet, but hopefully soon.
What has Reality done for you lately?

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:33 am

My eyesight has "gone west" in the last year or so. I have always been 20-40 one side, and 20-200 the other, but now I also have problems with short range vision. As my arms are not extendable, I have had to go to bifocals, which are OK, but there are times when I need the short range vision up, not down, and I cannot turn them over as my eyes are so odd legged!

However, it is not too bad with 16mm, but I am very happy I am not modelling in OOn3 anymore. I think 5.5mm scale on 16.5mm track would be a stretch now - at least for scratch building. At least ballasting and track work do not need good eyesight, and that is the major task now the snows are over.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:32 am

I've started doing some On16.5 modelling just lately, but if I really want to get stuck into something that has a bit more heft and detail it's 16mm all the way. I certainly couldn't see myself getting involved in any modelling smaller than 7mm scale as it's just too darn small.
What has Reality done for you lately?

railrev59
New User
New User

Price Ar

Post by railrev59 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Snailrail:115072 wrote:Hi Annie, I am fascinated by articulated locos too, though the number of different types and variations can be quite bewildering. I think this is what is often known as a Kitson Meyer with the bogies separated to allow the firebox in between. The bogies are powered by their own cylinders so I guess the geared drive would be for the reversing mechanism ?

It's one decidedly odd looking loco with that large front overhang, I think your shortened version makes it into a really nice looking well- proportioned engine. Would be great to see a model of it.

Brian
Hi Snailrail

No, the gearing was to reduce the gear ratio from direct drive to something approaching (in this case) 2:1. The jackshaft (i.e. the one running between the axles, which is the one the cylinders drove) had 22 teeth and the cogs on the axles had 45. The reversing mechanism was the standard steam loco reverser, sometimes called the 'Johnson bar' in the USA.

The articulation was indeed of the Meyer type, and it's true that Kitson did build most of the Meyers that have ever existed, but other manufacturers (e.g. Hunslet) also built Meyers, so technically, this loco was a Price-Meyer. ;)

Happy New Year!

railrev59
New User
New User

Post by railrev59 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Annie:115086 wrote: I did consider a Price 'Cb', but I didn't want to get into the complication of building a geared locomotive, - or at least not yet anyway.
Hi Annie

I hope you are well

Actually, the Ar was a geared locomotive. The cylinders drove a jackshaft which ran across (or maybe only part-way, so as not to foul the bogie pivot?) the middle of each bogie, which then drove the axles via spur gears. There were 22 teeth on the jackshaft and 45 on the countershafts. The comparative lack of complication came from the fact that there was no longitudinal driveshaft as per the C and its derivatives, and the solitary Heisler-based V (and all Shays as well, for that matter - although of course we never had any of those in NZ), although that was offset by the need for high-pressure flexible steam joints, to supply steam to the cylinders.

I'm fairly certain this was the only geared Meyer ever built in the world.

Regards
Steve

phelum
New User
New User

Re:

Post by phelum » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:10 pm

railrev59 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:04 pm
I'm fairly certain this was the only geared Meyer ever built in the world.

Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

I've just PM'ed Annie because I have a working 5" gauge model of the AR and I'm trying to find any details about it. Price no longer has the drawings. I've found three blurry photos and mention on a TrainWeb page but that is all. Are you aware of any other mentions of this loco ?

I never realised it is the only geared Meyer. This makes it more special I think. Price did come out with modified bogies with angled cylinders (better ground clearance ?) and compensated brakes I believe.

I can post pictures of this model if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Steven (Sydney, Australia)

dudeface
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Price Meyer Class Arb

Post by dudeface » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:49 pm

Hi Steven and welcome to the forum. :hello2: If you click on anyone in this thread's profile and check the "last active" date, you'll notice that they haven't logged in for years, so Annie isn't going to see that PM. That's why replying to old threads like this generally isn't well accepted...

I know nothing about this loco, but it sounds very interesting, please do post pictures of it. :thumbup:
https://m.youtube.com/@Dudeface167
Miles-- Trains are fun. With the exception of track power. Argh!

phelum
New User
New User

Re: Price Meyer Class Arb

Post by phelum » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:46 am

dudeface wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:49 pm Hi Steven and welcome to the forum. :hello2: If you click on anyone in this thread's profile and check the "last active" date, you'll notice that they haven't logged in for years, so Annie isn't going to see that PM. That's why replying to old threads like this generally isn't well accepted...
Hi,
Point taken about the age of this thread but I was hoping it might be worth trying. This A&G Price loco (incorrectly numbering 115 I believe) certainly was a rare and virtually unknown beast and it's a credit to Price for making it. I'm not sure why the original builder of this model ever decided to make it because i is much more complicated than a normal 5" loco and too slow for use with other trains on club tracks. I've now got it operational and when I saw Annie's port I figured she might have some knowledge of the plans and other details.

I've just discovered that railsoc.org.nz are the custodians for the old Price drawings so I'm chasing them to see what I can get. It's a great relief to find that the drawings have been saved rather than discarded.

I attach a photo of the model. There are more details at http://banool.phelum.net/Arnie .

Cheers,
Steven
Attachments
DSCN4130.JPG
DSCN4130.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1475 times