How's this for a project?

What is your latest project?
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

How's this for a project?

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:46 pm

My local Modellers Club, of which I am a founder member, has been offered a vintage railway carriage for use as meeting/display venue.  It will be sited for us and an electricity supply connected, BUT..... we do need to work on it to bring it up to scratch.
It is a Taff Vale, 36 foot, 6 compartment, 1st/2nd class, Brown Marshall of 1885. The troubles with it are several and various but not insurmountable.   There are no wheels so it will be mounted close to ground level with ramp (wheelchair access) through an end door which we will have to fit.  One side is in poor condition but can be panelled as it will be hidden from view.  It does have period features such as panelled ceiling, original doors with droplights and working vents, some partitions are still in place although others have been removed.
This will not be a full restoration, rather a cosmetic rebuild to give a representation of the original, however, inside will be given a sympathetic appearance of old and new working side by side to give a meeting/working/display space.

This is not an everyday opportunity and the work will be hard  but the end result will be spectacular.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:47 am

That's awesome, I hope you keep us updated along the way.

Cant wait to see it come to life :)
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Snailrail » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi Peter, I know you followed my thread a while back about my Great Eastern brake third which I've been cosmetically restoring. You probably didn't think then that you'd have your own to do !

It looks like a similar project in a similar condition, although you've got an extra 9ft to do. Like yours, the other side of mine is in poor condition and I've just got it covered with tarpaulin. As it can't be seen easily it seems a bit pointless to put a lot of work into it.

From your interior shot the roof looks good. If it's been kept watertight that's a great bonus. Anyway good luck with the project and keep us posted with progress reports. I will be very interested to see how you get on.

Brian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Brian, I fear the interior of the roof does show some water damage where there used to be lighting units fitted and now are just open discs about 10" diameter. We are currently fitting a tarpaulin over the coach to help prevent further winter damage. Strange how one side seems to be worse than the other? Possibly this occurred since it was 'preserved' as I have no idea how long it has been open to the elements? In this instance it will be backed against a tall hedge with only the better side and both ends visible. We plan to cover the back with box section steel sheet which will keep the weather out but also not mean destroying any remaining timberwork in case it is ever in line for full restoration (which I doubt).
I will keep posting progress as it happens, although during the winter months this will be minimal.

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:52 pm

Ok ok but what about my newly acquired 1990 ABi caravan, as my man cave for less than the price of a 3x6 shed.......ok not as stylish as your club project of which I have a little green envy

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Good to hear from you Dave. Congratulations on your choice of accommodation, comfortable, spacious, all mod-cons, and portable too!
A wise choice in comparison to a draughty wooden shed.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:30 pm

that is very cool what a great thing to restore