A tender for Bertie (with a difference)

What is your latest project?
Joe
Fireman
Fireman

A tender for Bertie (with a difference)

Post by Joe » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Hi, i am just about to start building a tender for my roundhouse bertie. I want something different so have not gone down the standard roundhouse tender kit route but instead thought about a far more unique but far more scruffy version :lol:
anyway my idea is to use the idea of this: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=narro ... qjd8o4M%3A
but obviously a narrow gauge equivalent, ive got some spare swift 16 wheels and axle guards and a lot of lollipop sticks and glue :D
the thing that will be hard is to make the paintwork look good, i am aiming for a similar design to the one on the picture but i will tackle that problem when it arrives.
anyway the materials are assembled so watch this space :D
Steam is highly under rated

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:31 pm

I will watch with interest. I have just bought a Bertie and I had also
thought of fitting a tender.
Regards Graham.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:00 pm

You could always rely on the Coal Board to come up with a make do and mend solution! :lol:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Im getting there thanks to some sheets of ply? (not sure) that i had lying around and some coffee stirrers; its not the best wagon ever made and it isnt entirely measured accurately but i didn't really want it to be as most of these NCB wagons were twisted in various ways. Ive used swift 16 wheel sets and axle guards. I know need to paint it up and put on some finishing details such as corner strengths and couplings (any idea where i can get some decent narrow gauge couplings for this? they have to be able to fit onto a small surface or underneath the wagon/tender)

Steam is highly under rated

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:35 pm

I think it looks pretty good, just like a "make and mend" solution a cash-strapped narrow-gauge railway might come up with. If you don't mind a suggestion, I'd use a wooden block to make a bit of a buffer beam on the back end at least, that would allow you to mount a regular IP engineering coupling on it for one thing, and secondly, one might expect a railway to put some kind of beefier end on a wagon that was meant to stay more or less permanently attached to a locomotive- it will be bashing into things more often than a normal wagon.

That, and I would also put a bit of brass angle on the corners. That is also something you would probably see on a real one. Yu know, to hold it together when people are chucking coal about in it. :D

I like it.