A different 3D printed diesel

What is your latest project?
philipy
Director
Director

Re: A different 3D printed diesel

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:00 pm

Thanks Richard.
I've been doing some playing this morning, using Meshmixer following the basic tutorial in Rik's link and it *says* it's fixed various holes, but I haven't been able to try it yet. I also managed to sort the scaling in MM at the same time, so thats a bonus!

Somewhere along the way I found a pointer to the Netfabb online repair tool. I've heard of it before but didn't realise there was standalone free version! Anyway, I've tried that as well and it says it has fixed things but again I haven't actually tried it.

Both repaired versions still show the blue area's and I was coming to much the same conclusion, that it simply shows the 'underside' areas ( Soles of his shoes are blue as well.)

It has been in my mind to try to print the heads separately, so that, as you say, there isn't so much to reprint if there are problems, plus the body wouldn't be in the way of any filling and filing.

philipy
Director
Director

Re: A different 3D printed diesel

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:06 pm

Ok, so I've now done a 'fixed' mesh print, using the Netfabb online repair tool.

First the latest Dr Who monster, before his support was removed:
DSC_0001.JPG
Next with the support roughly removed, from this side it looks virtually identical to my original, unfixed mesh, print, including the hole in his face:
DSC_0003.JPG
Finally, from the other side, the 'fix' seems to have left the poor chap with a major break to his leg which he didn't have before - the cure seems to be worse than the disease.
DSC_0004.JPG