Riverdale Locomotives Peterborough April 2015

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Riverdale Locomotives Peterborough April 2015

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue May 05, 2015 9:39 am

One of my main reasons for attending the National Garden Railway Show was to watch the coal firing demonstrations by Joep Janssen (Riverdale Locomotives) and Tag Gorton, as I was also picking up my Riverdale Elke boiler kit.

I recorded some video using my new camera hand held so it is somewhat amateurish but the Riverdale presentation is still very watchable.

After a lot of frustration leading to failure in trying to convert the .mov files to a format that Windows Movie Maker could use, and also failing to successfully upload the .mov files to OneDrive, I eventually persevered with 2 days of uploading & editing online to get a working YouTube video.

It is some 46 minutes long and you need to set the quality to 480p to get the best image. I tried to increase the audio level with the YouTube editor but that seems to have done nothing. So you may need to crank your volume up to hear some of the questions from other visitors to this excellent demonstration.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kragxU23Ptk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kragxU23Ptk?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Chris Cairns

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue May 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Thanks Chris, great video. The Riverdale boilers are very refined, aren't they? That looks like lots of fun. Living in Canada, I have never been to a garden railway exhibition. I think I would be overexcited if I went to a show like that and saw all those steam engines and vendors at once. My bank account would spontaneously self-annihilate in a glorious explosion of over-spending. I have never seen a garden steam engine other than the one I have. :(

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue May 05, 2015 8:32 pm

Keith S:110614 wrote:I think I would be overexcited if I went to a show like that and saw all those steam engines and vendors at once. My bank account would spontaneously self-annihilate in a glorious explosion of over-spending. I have never seen a garden steam engine other than the one I have. :(
I think we'd have to scrape you off the (very high) ceiling!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed May 06, 2015 6:03 am

It's remotely possible I may be visiting England late this summer. Keep your scraper handy!

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed May 06, 2015 4:36 pm

very interesting, thanks for sharing :)
Steam is highly under rated

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi Keith,

I like the simplicity of the Riverdale design. No onboard axle or crosshead driven water pumps to take away any of your power.

If you are around at the time the Llanfair Caereinion Garden Railway Show (05 & 06 Sep 2015) is well worth visiting, with the added bonus of the adjacent narrow gauge Gala at the WLLR.

Chris Cairns

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri May 08, 2015 4:49 pm

Flagg Fluorspar will be there, too!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri May 08, 2015 5:59 pm

The boilers must have a relatively voluminous firebox to be able to run as long as they are claimed to without servicing the fire or topping up the water.

I would very much like a coal fired model, but I feel like I need to get farther down the road in terms of building a railway and getting a gas-fired train running before I spend any more money on locomotives.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 08, 2015 8:42 pm

Here are some very quick images of my Riverdale Elke boiler.

Chris Cairns

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri May 08, 2015 10:04 pm

Fascinating. Look at the depth of that fire-box. It appears to have a "dry" back, with the domed top of the firebox protruding into the water-space, and the pressure vessel overlapping it! The sides must be "wet", judging by the location of the glass.

I don't suppose it would be dreadfully difficult to build one of these after getting a good look at one.