Sunny Sunday Running

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Sunny Sunday Running

Post by Gralyn » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:15 am

It was a fine day for a steam up yesterday. I ran my Roundhouse Russell for the first time this year. I also ran a recently acquired Regner Vincent. It was not the first run in my possession but on the last run it ran very jerkily and needed a lot of help to keep going on my relatively level track. I eventually realised that I seem to have lost the O ring on the filler cap to the steam oil reservoir. I made a new one out of some black rubber gas pipe of almost the correct ID and we were back to smooth running again.

http://youtu.be/b8wo3-vwk1I

Indecently does anyone know where on the loco the serial number might be and at what pressure I should expect the safety valve to lift?.
Regards Graham.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:17 am

Regner just provide a generic boiler certificate so I do not think there is any serial numbers (not seen one on any of my 3 Regners). There are no specific Vincent instructions but I've attached a copy of the Konrad/Willi ones that came with my Vincent, which has the Vincent Chain addendum (NOTE: The Vincent actually runs OK with the chain slacker than those instructions recommend, and lubricating it with steam oil seems to be better than the recommended 3 in 1 oil).

The Vincent is designed to work at 3 Bar and the Safety Valve operates above 3.5 Bar.

I find the 'O' rings on my Regner fittings (safety valve/lubricator cap/boiler drain plug) have a habit of sticking to the loco when removing those fittings after a run.

Your Vincent runs along nicely. On mine (plus my Lumber Jack) I find the gas well outlasts the boiler water so I need to keep topping up the boiler - the sight glass's are a bit hit or miss sometimes.

Chris Cairns

Click to download file

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply Chris. I had already sussed the gas lasts longer than the water and that frequent top ups are needed.
What did surprise me was how quickly the boiler comes up to a working steam pressure.
Regards Graham.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Mon May 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Now getting used to this Loco. Today was a pull test. The loco happily pulled 18 assorted wagons without any sign of strain. Later two more went on and the loco managed well. In all the loco ran for about 35 minutes with this load with three top-ups (or should it be tops -up).

Short video here.

http://youtu.be/NSdPiQrMfpw
Regards Graham.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue May 05, 2015 11:26 am

That is chuffing along very nicely Graham.

I've not managed to run any of my Regners outdoors yet, but my Lumber Jack & Vincent will be running on our Group's portable layout at the Kyle Model Railway Show weekend after next.

Chris Cairns