Steamy testing!

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Steamy testing!

Post by Chris Bird » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi folks
My old Katie has had a bit of an overhaul and has a new SSP Slomo fitted (the previous one was a prototype). Well when it was time for her first test, the sun was shining and the birds were singing, so I made a little video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOaXIF35RJg

Watch out for the low sun steam effects, helped by a certain device :D
Cheers
Chris

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:20 pm

That is a great video of the Slomo in action. Must start saving!.
Regards Graham.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:07 pm

That is fantastic. I've been toying with outing my Katie precisely because she seems so skittish. How easy is it for a beginner to fit?

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Chris Bird » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 pm

bazzer42:109501 wrote:That is fantastic. I've been toying with outing my Katie precisely because she seems so skittish. How easy is it for a beginner to fit?
Well it is pretty easy if your Katie runs on 45mm (non insulated wheels are needed for 32mm gauge). Have a look at the Billy fitting video on the Slomo website www.smallsteamperformance.com.au.

I originally tried changing to the manual rather than r/c regulator and then had some success with the fine regulator spindle from The Train Department in the US (though it is difficult to make it close).

The Slomo gave a total transformation and I was able to switch back to the r/c regulator. There are more videos on my Summerlandsteam channel or you can find a link to my Slomo pages on the Chuffer News page of my website www.summerlands-chuffer.co.uk.

Oh yes - I should say that I am an enthusiastic customer, not a Slomo dealer!
Cheers
Chris

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:58 am

Hi Chris,

Did you here anything back from the provider of the Slomo regarding the Lady Anne version as I am not sure if it will fit a coal fired conversion or even a Silver Lady due to the servo underneath for the simulated drain cocks?

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Chris Bird » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:53 pm

tom_tom_go:109635 wrote:Hi Chris,

Did you here anything back from the provider of the Slomo regarding the Lady Anne version as I am not sure if it will fit a coal fired conversion or even a Silver Lady due to the servo underneath for the simulated drain cocks?
Hi Tom - no I didn't get a reply about it, I will chase him again. I suspect it would be a non-starter though as it needs room to fit even a standard loco, let alone one with all the extra 'gubbins'!
Cheers
Chris

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:19 pm

Tom you could always have a go at fitting one in a tender or a wagon instead of the locomotive itself, this would have the added benefit of being able to use it on all of your locomotives and not just one. In videos I've seen vans and tenders thus equipped seem to give pretty good results. I am in the midst of building one myself.

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Chris Bird » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:42 pm

Keith S:109639 wrote:Tom you could always have a go at fitting one in a tender or a wagon instead of the locomotive itself, this would have the added benefit of being able to use it on all of your locomotives and not just one. In videos I've seen vans and tenders thus equipped seem to give pretty good results. I am in the midst of building one myself.
Keith/Tom - you might like to read my notes on building a Slomo wagon. Gearing, weight and, fundamentally important, loco weight are all crucial to making it work. A coal fired Lady Anne might just be heavy enough, but from my work you need to be over 3Kg unless you significantly change the gearing ratio (a smaller axle sprocket).

You can find them here:
https://sites.google.com/a/gardenrailwa ... lomo-wagon

Cheers
Chris

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Chris Bird » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:59 pm

Tom - Terry tells me that the Lady Anne Slomo will be some time in June. He already has a waiting list for it! It appears that it will not need the space where the servos go so you should be OK.
Cheers
Chris

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:44 am

Thanks for following up Chris, I will contact Terry directly.

I hear what you are saying Keith about putting one in a tender/wagon, however, from observing what Chris has achieved weight/gearing is critical and trying to build one wagon for all locos will not get the best out of the product.