Copyright and music for videos

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Copyright and music for videos

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:21 pm

I recently had some interesting correspondence with YouTube. A company claimed that a piece of music I had used on one of my videos was copyrighted to them. YouTube told me I didn't need to do anything but a copyright message would be posted by them on my video. At first, I was inclined to ignore it, but I knew that the music in question has been composed by someone else (Kevin Macleod of incompetech.com) and was licensed for free use provided he was credited. So I got the bit between my teeth and challenged the claim - even though I got dire warnings that my YouTube account would be terminated if I made a false claim.

I also emailed Kevin to explain what I was doing and got a very encouraging email in reply thanking me and saying that most people don't bother to challenge claims like this. In effect, the companies who have stolen his copyright get away with it unchallenged.

A day later, I got a message from YouTube saying the company had withdrawn their objection. Both I and Kevin were delighted.

So, if you also use Kevin's music, don't ignore any claims of copyright infringement from third parties.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Copyright and music for videos

Post by BertieB » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:12 pm

That’s very interesting. Well done. I’ve had one of those, which surprised me for the same reasons. I’d better have a look at doing the same. Thanks

Sandwell Valley Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Copyright and music for videos

Post by Sandwell Valley Railway » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:34 pm

Food for thought.
I also use Kevin's music from time to time. If this happens to me I will now know what to do. Thanks for posting.
Keith