Dual mode vehicle (DMV) tested in Japan

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Dual mode vehicle (DMV) tested in Japan

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:12 pm

I guess the new hybrid train-bus system got inspiration from the garden models. But here, it is testing in Japan.

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14055442

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dual mode vehicle (DMV) tested in Japan

Post by ge_rik » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:49 pm

This wikipedia article suggests they have been around since the 1970s, but I'm sure I've seen an even earlier version somewhere.... :?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road%E2%8 ... rail_buses

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:59 pm

I seem to recall a system somewhere in the West Midlands area, possibly Birmingham, around the '70's (?) where road buses had dedicated routes defined by parallel concrete walls, where they were guided by side-mounted castors(?) of some sort, so the driver had no need to steer the bus. They didn't need to swap over running wheels from tyres to bogies. Short lived as I remember!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:43 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:59 pm I seem to recall a system somewhere
Yes, I definitely remember seing it on tv. I thought it in demo form but may have been a real system, I can't remember the detail. Was probably on "Tomorrows World" at a guess.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:54 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:59 pm I seem to recall a system somewhere in the West Midlands area, possibly Birmingham, around the '70's (?) where road buses had dedicated routes defined by parallel concrete walls, where they were guided by side-mounted castors(?) of some sort, so the driver had no need to steer the bus. They didn't need to swap over running wheels from tyres to bogies. Short lived as I remember!
There is a guided busway in operation between Cambridge and Huntingdon, it was only finished in the last 10 years or so and runs all the time. As mentioned above, a standard bus fitted with side guide wheels that run inside a concrete wall, a car would just fall down the middle holes. the bus driver does nothing except line it up on the entrance to the guided part and then does the forward and stopping bit only.

Example of typical Merc driver who thinks the rules don't apply to him.
Attachments
March-2016.jpg
March-2016.jpg (61.25 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:00 pm

How about this from 1932 (coincidentally the year the PLR is set in)
https://www.therailwayhub.co.uk/11791/f ... by-events/

RM-Archive-Feature-2018-February-Road-Rail-p22.jpg
RM-Archive-Feature-2018-February-Road-Rail-p22.jpg (99.54 KiB) Viewed 2308 times

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:40 am

The Japanese system is a standard Hi-rail chassis, which have been around since Adam was in short pants. They are more commonly used with a truck body for track maintenance.

There's at least one narrow gauge Hi-rail truck around. Puff Rail use one on 2'6" for the fire patrol that follows steam hauled trains during the fire season.

The guided buses look like an O-Bahn. The germans invented it in the early 1980's, there's one in Essen and Adelaide has had a line since '86. The O-Bahn was developed by Daimler-Benz, so presumably the dropkick in the Merc thought that meant he would be able to drive on it as well...........

Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:32 am

Ah, now, the problem there is that the guided busway is clearly broad gauge, whereas a Mercedes is standard gauge:

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:13 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:59 pm I seem to recall a system somewhere in the West Midlands area, possibly Birmingham, around the '70's (?) where road buses had dedicated routes defined by parallel concrete walls, where they were guided by side-mounted castors(?) of some sort, so the driver had no need to steer the bus. They didn't need to swap over running wheels from tyres to bogies. Short lived as I remember!
It was in Birmingham, and called Tracline 65 but as you say, short-lived, mainly due to deregulation of bus services, and the operator who won the Sunday service on the route didn't want to fit their fleet with the necessary running gear. It was the first guided bus way in the UK, although many cities now have similar systems - Bradford is one I'm most familiar with now.
Tracline65-info-sign-1250.jpg
Tracline65-info-sign-1250.jpg (685.88 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077