Semi-scale BR: double loco control fail

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Semi-scale BR: double loco control fail

Post by BertieB » Thu May 13, 2021 12:42 am

Nice sunny day; deckchair, cup of tea, chocolate digestives; train quietly trundling round. Why not try running two locomotives together? — Deltang transmitters can do that. Shot more-or-less as it happened.

With added noisy soundtrack.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: Semi-scale BR: double loco control fail

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu May 13, 2021 11:44 am

Oh dear! :cry:
From the beginning of the video, there is a noticeable wobble on the brake van. Has something happened to the trueness of the axles? :dontknow:
But yes, difficult to get two engines of such differing characteristics to work well together :D
Where do you get your 'train' sound effects from?
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 13, 2021 2:50 pm

It is possible to reprogram a Deltang Rx65 receiver to increase the speed at which a loco starts - eg 10% of full power. This might enable you to speed up the Bulleid a bit. There isn't any way of slowing down the 2MT though unless you shove some diodes into the Rx output - but then you'd need to have two top to tail in parallel to get forward and reverse.

Alternatively, you could invest in another transmitter and then adjust their speeds independently (or put them each on different Tx22 Selecta channels - now that would be fun ..... :shock: )

Probably not worth it for the odd occasions when you want to double head or have a banker.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Fri May 14, 2021 9:50 am

Phil — You’re right about the brake van. It’s actually been wobbling in previous videos too, I’ve now noticed. I wonder what I’ve done to it? (It’s in the shed and I haven’t checked). I’ve collected train audio from loads of sources, including stuff I’ve shot myself! But image library (I’ve been fortunate to have access to several) and online downloads mainly (I imagine the audio of the final prang was a tray of wine glasses being dropped).

Rik — Thanks for the Deltang info. Honestly, the whole thing was more-or-less spontaneous and I’m afraid I didn’t think about it technically at all (my understanding of electronics and related fields could be written on the back of a diode anyway). Initial motivation was that it was a nice, sunny day and the bluebells were looking good… The shot at 3.10 was probably as much as I hoped for — pleased with that.

The Bulleid (two motorblocks, in series, heavily weighted) meets my prejudices perfectly, in that it’s not fast but runs very smooth and steady and (I imagine) would probably pull all my rolling stock if required.

Thanks, to you both. Cheers.