One for our Australian friends

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

One for our Australian friends

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:01 pm

A great video of Australian railways filmed in 1962, with wonderful views and informative narration. Unfortunately, bl**dy annoying background music typical of its day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKs5yUebT3M
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: One for our Australian friends

Post by Tropic Blunder » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:48 am

Some excellent footage particularly the shots of the 400 class Garratt with ore train running from Broken hill. We chased the line from there back to Peterborough a few years back and it boggles the mind how little is out there!
Jake

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:03 am

an Interesting Video, good to see Mt Lyell in action same with the old CAR line from Alice springs
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:27 am

Thanks for this video Peter, a very interesting film on the progress of Australian trains and the working of them up to 1962. Those men hand balling the goods brings back loads of memories for me when I helped dad in the loading and un-loading of his wagons. It was blooming hard work I can tell you, but enjoyable when he got me some lemonade and maybe an ice cream.... :D

The statistics just kept on coming too. 330 mile straight track, wow, can you imagine what speeds could be achieved on it. 4000 years supply of coal, the Aussies can enjoy steam engines for ever it seems. But they are also moving to Diesel Electric, so the supply in years will increase dramatically won't it.

Thanks again Peter and yes the music was very annoying, they still do it on a lot of programs today too. David Attenborough's Blue Planet and other programs are constantly bombarding us with annoying music, so much so you can't hear what he is saying most of the time....