The Last Days of the Sandwell Valley Railway

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Sandwell Valley Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

The Last Days of the Sandwell Valley Railway

Post by Sandwell Valley Railway » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:28 pm

The photographs that make up this video were taken in January and February 2017. The railway had been abandoned over the winter months and then due to an impending house move the track was lifted. For every one of my garden railway videos I had always tidied up the garden, mowed the lawn, trimmed the vegetation and cleaned the platforms and buildings. This shows the railway abandoned and then dismantled. Putting the film together evoked bittersweet memories but has also bought closure to that era of my life.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: The Last Days of the Sandwell Valley Railway

Post by LNR » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:16 am

A very scenic railway, funny how railways can look so good when let to run down a bit. Maybe just my warped view!
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:31 am

Very evocative. Did you have to demolish the trackbed and all those viaducts and bridges as well?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Sandwell Valley Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Sandwell Valley Railway » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:58 am

Hi Rik,

I've still got all of the aluminium bridges and I managed to salvage most of the concrete viaduct sections with not too much damage. The embankment walls also have been reclaimed and are in storage. Unfortunately the tunnel mouths and low walls along with the rest of the trackbed had to be smashed up.
I've still to cut the first sod on the new railway I'm planning but the possible location of a new viaduct will be on a double track section so I will not be able to use the old viaduct bits. The bridges will need modifying but that's a fairly simple job.

Keith

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:23 am

Sandwell Valley Railway wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:28 pm For every one of my garden railway videos I had always tidied up the garden, mowed the lawn, trimmed the vegetation and cleaned the platforms and buildings. This shows the railway abandoned and then dismantled.
A great pity, but if its any consolation, your "abandoned" railway looks much better than mine in it's normal state! :D
I do hope you'll post pictures of the reincarnation as it happens, please.
Philip

Sandwell Valley Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Sandwell Valley Railway » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:12 pm

I do hope you'll post pictures of the reincarnation as it happens, please.
Hi Phillip,

I will and hopefully it will be soon. If you are interested in the provisional planning then it is on my blog at http://wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.com. Of course the plans are subject to change without notice.

Keith