Russell on my garden line

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Russell on my garden line

Post by Simon-m » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:43 am

I've been slowly making progress on my little garden railway over the past 12 months & heres a video of russell on the slate train.

https://youtu.be/ojOSPLS_RFM

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Re: Russell on my garden line

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi Simon,

That's a lovely bit of footage. Your line is very well engineered and it pays dividends in nice smooth running and lovely smooth curves.

Your planting is interesting too. In 12 months time it will have filled out tremendously and the view will be very different. That's one of the lovely things about garden railways (or rather the world they inhabit), it grows and changes all on it's own!

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:54 am

Simon, very nice, simplicity when starting is often the best way, and what you have done blends nicely into your garden, I know my Mrs B would approve :)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:17 am

Very nice - and Russell's running beautifully!

Is that the Ffestiniog beer wagon at the front of the rake? Since watching your video I've added one to my "to build" list!

Cheers,

Andrew.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:36 pm

Andrew wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:17 am Very nice - and Russell's running beautifully!

Is that the Ffestiniog beer wagon at the front of the rake? Since watching your video I've added one to my "to build" list!

Cheers,

Andrew.
Beer? Did he say beer?

As others have said, very nice.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:30 pm

sjrixon wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:36 pm
Beer? Did he say beer?

That's what I thought...... what is the story behind the beer wagon, and who makes the kit?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:48 pm

Here we go: https://picclick.co.uk/Sm32-Sm45-16mm-s ... 23467.html

It's a Ffestiniog open wagon - I believe it's known as that because it's carrying barrels in an old photo. I might be wrong, but I think the building of a replica (Google "Ffestiniog beer wagon" for pictures) was sponsored by Purple Moose brewery, and have read that it was them that specified the current deep purple colour scheme - it would originally have been in brick red with black strapping.

I think I'll buy a kit soon - at £16 it's hard to resist! And the inside axleboxes will make an interesting change. Plus, I've got a consignment of barrels that has sat on the platform at Clarach since the wagon that used to carry them was requisitioned for the plum harvest several autumns ago!

Cheers,

Andrew.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:54 pm

And I've enjoyed the supplies from purple moose a few times. Tempting classic little kit that.

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon-m » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:16 pm

Hiya chaps

Thanks for the kind replys. The ffestiniog beer wagon is a Phil Sharples kit. He lives 5 minutes away from my house & I'm good friends with his son jack & I can tell you they are excellent quality kits for the money. You can spend more on a wagon kit that's nowhere near as good in quality.

The plan for the railway was to make it blend into the garden with plants, the gaffer only gave the green light for the railway as long as it looked nice & not just tracks & a mess in the middle.

I have never been a titchmarsh type but I have enjoyed the gardening side of the railway it's nice to look at.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:35 am

Very nice line and the Russell does run smooth. The greenery will add even more when in full bloom, even if your'e not AT...."Alan Titchmarsh" :thumbright: