Peckforton Light Railway - Video Library

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Peckforton Light Railway - Video Library

Post by ge_rik » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:07 am

Thanks chaps. I watched the Southwold and the Leek and Manifold newsreels before making it so you might notice some overlaps ..... 😏

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:15 am

Hi Rik,

Your first video, what can one say but, brilliant. What program did you use to achieve it mate.

The second two vintage films are superb. On the second one at the beginning, what were they doing pushing that wagon onto and why. Not knowing sweet nothing about the runnings of trains it's all new to me and so very interesting....

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:47 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:15 am What program did you use to achieve it mate.
Hi Rod
I use Corel VideoStudio which has loads of fancy features, of which I probably use less than a quarter.
FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:15 am On the second one at the beginning, what were they doing pushing that wagon onto and why.
That's the Leek & Manifold which had transporter wagons for carrying standard gauge wagons on their narrow gauge tracks. They are pushing a standard gauge wagon on to the transporter at Waterhouse's Station which connected to the North Staffs Railway.

Here's a picture of a standard gauge open wagon on a transporter wagon.
IMG_20180823_0003-M.jpg
IMG_20180823_0003-M.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 10358 times
Rik
------------------------

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:18 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:15 am β€œ...What program did you use to achieve it?...”
I recall you mentioning you had a MacBook Pro - and iMovie, which I imagine has similar features to CorelVideo, is free to Mac users. It’s not difficult to use.

Oh, and it’s a lovely video, of course, as we’d expect

Cheers..

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:18 am

Thanks Rik.

It's strange they had to push it on though, wouldn't a loco be easier or am I being stupid.. :dontknow:

BertieB wrote: ↑Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:18 am I recall you mentioning you had a MacBook Pro - and iMovie, which I imagine has similar features to CorelVideo, is free to Mac users. It’s not difficult to use.
Cheers..
Thanks BertieB

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:17 pm

Hi Rod,

Using a loco would require at least one barrier wagon to avoid the risk of the loco running onto the transporter wagon (that would be like trying to put an elephant on a skateboard!). That would be far less controlled than shoving it on by hand. Loco's don't stop on a postatge stamp and the couplings would be all three link, assuming only two couplings were involved that's about 18" of slack. Not much - until the wagon flange had ridden up on top of the rail at the undoubtedly dodgy meeting of the track an the transporter wagon. A shunting horse would have been a reasonable alternative but I imaging Waterhouses didn't posses such a luxury. Hand shunting was (and is) by no means uncommon and nowhere nearly as difficult as might be imagined. Two able bodied blokes can get a short wheelbase four wheel wagon on the move with relatively little effort, once it's moving your over the hard bit. I imagine it was done in most goods yards. Coal Merchants were particularly handy at 'helping themselves like this but could sometimes leave wagons foul of other sidings, catching out unwary guards an shunters! I've seen some footage of this in action on Youtube recently.

It's much less easy with modern wagons and you'd be hard pressed to find a method statement or risk assessment for it on the national network but I'm aware it happens on heritage. I did it myself last year when the shunt engine failed with it's train over the yard exit points, we had to shove about ten wagons, one at a time, clear of the connection to get the rescue engine on top of the failure! By the time we'd finished I felt like a shunting horse myself! :D

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:31 am

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your explanation to something which to me seemed a better way. But as soon as I read the first few lines, I thought it was rather simple when you gave me the reason for doing it that way. To get such things to move on rails by pushing it by hand by to or more people would be a lot better and more controlled, with less risk of damage.

Although what you say about you being like "a shunting horse" would have left you with some aches I bet. :D

By the way, would you be able to find that Youtube video again and post a link to it.

All the best.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:49 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:18 am It's strange they had to push it on though, wouldn't a loco be easier ......
Hi Rod
In addition to Andrew's response, at each station on the L&M was a short length of standard gauge track on to which the wagons were parked for off loading. The wagons would have to be propelled on and off these by hand as there was no real alternative, unless they went in for chain shunting. I'd imagine trying to get a loaded milk tanker rolling would have been a real effort.
Leek and Manifold 1.jpg
Leek and Manifold 1.jpg (22.13 KiB) Viewed 10187 times
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (17.73 KiB) Viewed 10187 times
picture-14.png
picture-14.png (197.19 KiB) Viewed 10187 times
leek-manifold-railway-photograph_360_1d3e9d0a2b7cf988f053499f53dbc18a.jpg
leek-manifold-railway-photograph_360_1d3e9d0a2b7cf988f053499f53dbc18a.jpg (41.79 KiB) Viewed 10187 times
Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:24 pm

Rik,

I don't think I've seen that last picture before, it's a lovely shot. It was rather an unphotographed railway compared to the likes of the L&B, not being in and area of particular tourism I guess. However, it's always been my closest narrow gauge 'railway' (as opposed to quarry or colliery systems) so I do have a soft spot for it. I used to love driving down the track bed on familly outings to Derbyshire.

You make a good point about the loaded milk tankers. If the sidings were laid with a bit of gradient it would be possible - but then the empties would have to be pushed up hill! I suspect the use of a pinch bar was employed to get them moving, although there is no sign of one in any of the photos. They were very common and they will get a loco moving!

Rod,

I'll see if I can find the clip I mentioned, it was one of Youtube's random suggestions to watch so it might take some finding!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:59 pm

I'd say that the Leek & Manifold is probably one of my favourites, after the Southwold and the Welshpool & Llanfair, of course. But then, there's the Ashover .... Spoilt for choice!

I've walked half the trackbed. The plan is that once the lockdown is lifted, I'll take my bike on the back of the car and then cycle the whole line, there and back. I can just about manage the round trip in a day from here even though Staffs seems to have the highest density of speed cameras in the country!!

It's quite surprising the photos which pop upon the net.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:47 am

Thank you Rik and Andrew for your information, it's been another very educational read and great seeing those photos. It's why a now have a love for railways from the vintage years of industry.
I think I may have said it before, without the railways it would have been a lot slower in it's advancement in technology.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi Rod,

You are so right there. Railways really were (and to a point still are) world changing.

Rik,

How could I forget the Ashover! :oops: My closest line by a country mile growing up in Mansfield. My newsagent when I first started work remembered going over there as a youngsterand riding on the trains when the chance arose - and that was long after the passenger service ended! I've always tended to think of it as a quarry railway but it was more than that in reality, even if quarry traffic was it's lifeblood. It did have a more 'industrial feel' though, unlike the L&M, L&B, W&L, V of R, WHR, Southwold and Campbelltown & Machrihanish and to a degree the Festiniog which always had a bit of a 'railway feel' to them to me. (that list just kept growing - I hadn't realised the re were quite so many).

I do believe that the fledgling MRT acquired an Ashover turnout but I believe it was lost in either an official scrap drive or one sponsored by thieves! The same fate befell some Burton & Ashby track. If I remember correctly the Golden Valley Light Railway, based at the MRT, now have the remaining Ashover carriage. When I was young quite a lot of the Ashover trackbed was still evident. The section alongside the mainline still is if you know where to look. We had a flooding incident down there a few years ago, it was partly mitigated by a low bank between the stream and the top of the Network Rail cutting, my colleagues didn't believe me when I told them it was a railway embankment - out came old Ordnance Survey maps again to prove the point!

All the best,

Andrew

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 01, 2020 8:32 am

Fascinating stuff, Andrew. The Ravenglass & Eskdale also has an interesting history, starting life as a three foot gauge railway serving the quarries at Boot before it was retained by Bassett Lowke as an experiment to test the feasibility of 15" minimum gauge railways.

There is a plaque on the fire station at Southwold which is on the site of therailway station claiming that the Southwold was the only three foot narrow gauge railway in England. As much as I love the Southwold it irritates me. What about the Ravenglass and Eskdale and the Rye and Camber I mutter whenever I see it! One day I might get around to constructing one of the delightful little Rye and Camber Bagnalls.
COL-RCT3.jpg-for-web-large.jpg
COL-RCT3.jpg-for-web-large.jpg (50.15 KiB) Viewed 10453 times
Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 01, 2020 8:35 am

My latest offering

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 01, 2020 8:50 am

Always great to see your working line Rik. More please if you will. :thumbright:

Puddlejumper
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Puddlejumper » Fri May 01, 2020 11:15 am

Another great video, thanks for sharing :thumbleft:
Doug

Hopelessly bodging stuff into some sort of semblance of a railway up in the frozen wasteland of County Durham.
16mm(ish) scale NG on 32mm track

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Fri May 01, 2020 12:29 pm

Wow!

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Sat May 02, 2020 8:35 am

Yes, keep them coming..

So when you shunt the sawn wood loads, are they removable? That goes for most of the rest of the loads, do they come out, or do they not return during a standard operation session :)

The tippers going from full to empty is inspired! They are the kind of small truck that I'd knock off trying to take out a removable load. Which is what I'm going to do :)

I'm trying to imagine similar movements on my modest railway, but still fishing for inspiration.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 02, 2020 11:00 am

sjrixon wrote: ↑Sat May 02, 2020 8:35 am So when you shunt the sawn wood loads, are they removable? That goes for most of the rest of the loads, do they come out, or do they not return during a standard operation session :)
The vast majority of loads are removable - eg the timber, the coal, the sand, and miscellaneous loads in the open wagons. The chains holding the logs in place just dangle. Hopefully that's not too obvious.

The exceptions are the ore skips because, as shown in the video, I have a rake of empties and an rake of full wagons which I interchange. Some of the other loads don't need to be removable. For example, the milk churns and the beer barrels - as empty barrels and churns look the same. Also, it's handy having some tarp covered opens as they could be empty or full beneath the tarp - though I imagine in reality they would fold the tarp to send the wagon back.

Rik
------------------------

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sun May 03, 2020 1:46 am

Keep them coming I have a big teapot to drink.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html