Peckforton Light Railway - Video Library

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: Peckforton Light Railway - Video Library

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:51 pm

I'm always impressed by your videos Rik, not only for your camera work but also the quality of your modelling. Superb stuff as always.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:00 pm

Thanks chaps. The PLR gives me a lot of pleasure. Nice to know others enjoy it too.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:37 pm

A bit of an experiment. I thought I'd try a Road-Rail cardboard loco kit.
Having the parts pre-printed are a mixed blessing. Saves a lot of time finishing off the loco - but it's not so easy ensuring a gluey finger doesn't mar the finish during the construction process.

Rik
------------------------

Harris0169
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Harris0169 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:43 am

Really glad you did this build Rik to show what it's like. I have exactly the same kit unbuilt. Is this the version with the motor/gearbox and wheels? Just so I know that is what I can expect it to perform like.
All the best
Andy

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:09 am

Mmm, I like the kit and it does look nice, but that whirring is a bit of a nuisance. Would silicon grease help to quieten it down any. I know that if you use too much there is a danger of picking up dirt and debris and will damage the gearing.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:52 pm

I have made a different loco from this range and wasn't happy with the finish (raw edges to colour match etc.) and the noise of the motor and gears is something to live with. The cardboard construction is hollow and very lightweight and acts as a sound-box. If you added sufficient sound insulation I wonder whether the motor could cope with the additional weight?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:55 pm

Hi
Yes - I agree. I used the chassis which was supplied but it is very flimsy and to my mind too small for the loco. It's exactly the same as that used on their Wickham Trolley kit. I'd imagine it would be fine for that in terms of size and also pulling power (or lack of it). You could extend the wheelbase easily by lengthening the side members of the chassis moving the unpowered set of wheels further forward. Seems strange to me that they didn't consider doing this.
IMG_3063.JPG
IMG_3063.JPG (634.46 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
I'm intending to rebuild the model. I want to strengthen up some parts which don't seem to have sufficient reinforcement and also improve the detailing - eg on the chimney. I also want to add extra details (ie a dome). I happen to have a spare Bachmann motor block which I'm hoping I can fit to give it a lot more oomph!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Rik

PS - I've blogged the build here - https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2023/0 ... -from.html
------------------------

Harris0169
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Harris0169 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:54 pm

Hi Rik.
Thanks for the reply and good to hear some other views, Peter.
The write up you have done Rik is great. Thanks for making this available.
I'm going to post some resources I've collected on cardboard construction for Garden Railways on another post so I don't hijack Rik' one

All the best

Andy

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:20 am

My latest offering. A Beeston Market Retrospecitve

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:36 am

Another superb presentation Rik. The filming of lineside accessories is particularly good and shows the attention to detail you achieve. Excellent work as ever.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Ianm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Ianm » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:01 pm

Thanks Rik - a great video again. :D

I am hoping the WIRL will emerge from an enforced winter slumber soon (hip replacement sort of curtailed ground level outside activity for a month or 3). However, a 3D printer has enabled the development of a few new items of rolling stock - hopefully in time to be completed for an Easter relaunch! I must find a way to post some pictures - back to the Board guides....

Watching Trevor's Tan-y-Grislau development over the past month or two does leave one feeling somewhat challenged though :D :D :D
Ian M
WIRL

Ianm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Ianm » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:22 pm

Obviously better to read the Board Guide before starting a post!

A view of my study window sill with 3D prints scattered and a Signal box in the background. Also a 3D printed stone tumbler for the grandsons.
Wagons in progress
Wagons in progress
20230328_115314.jpg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 4256 times
A more components for a rake of 6 trucks and a guards van.
Trucks with under-carriage - awaiting assembly (and wheels)
Trucks with under-carriage - awaiting assembly (and wheels)
20230328_115308.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 4256 times
The STL files cam from Thingiverse - G Scale Wagons (1/32) by dagnall53 on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2744624. The designs are really nice - with locating lugs and sockets - also drilled for screws for assembly.

I also printed Riks SWB Van - which is the workshop waiting for painting. :geek

I have also been playing with Sketchup - example of a little Pot-bellied stove for the Guards van and Signal box :salute:
Pot bellied stove
Pot bellied stove
20230328_121923.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 4256 times
I know this should probably be in the #D section (I guess the moderators will move if necessary) but I wanted to respond to Rik's latest post.
Ian M
WIRL

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:00 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:20 am My latest offering. A Beeston Market Retrospective

Rik
Another excellent video Rik, and good to see Beeston Market in relation to the rest of the garden and house. Brought back memories of seeing your posts regarding the ballasting and cattle dock at the time you did the work too. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:08 am

Another professional made film Rik. That's a thought :idea: you could make a really good living being a film maker, how about getting in-touch with Channel 4, they are always on the lookout for brilliant filmmakers such as yourself.

I love they way you started with the area which was truly a mess, you made it a lot neater and tidier. Played the video on the 52" HD TV, the details are outstanding and pin sharp.

More please mate. :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:20 am

Sorry about the wording. It should have been ( "professionally " ) in a bit of a rush. Need to slow down :roll:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:31 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:00 pm Another excellent video Rik, and good to see Beeston Market in relation to the rest of the garden and house. Brought back memories of seeing your posts regarding the ballasting and cattle dock at the time you did the work too. :thumbup:
Thanks
It was quite therapeutic going back over old videos and blog posts to see what happened when. I'm often so busy thinking about the jobs which still need to be done that I sometimes forget what I have already achieved. I'm not sure I will ever reach the stage where I can tick the 'job done' box.

FWLR wrote: ↑Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:08 am Another professional made film Rik. That's a thought :idea: you could make a really good living being a film maker, how about getting in-touch with Channel 4, they are always on the lookout for brilliant filmmakers such as yourself.

I love they way you started with the area which was truly a mess, you made it a lot neater and tidier. Played the video on the 52" HD TV, the details are outstanding and pin sharp.

Thanks Rod
I'm not sure my little videos are anywhere near the standard Ch4 and others would consider, but thanks very much for the compliment . I do enjoy tinkering about with video editing.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:42 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:08 am Another professional made film Rik. That's a thought :idea: you could make a really good living being a film maker, how about getting in-touch with Channel 4, they are always on the lookout for brilliant filmmakers such as yourself.

Thanks Rod
I'm not sure my little videos are anywhere near the standard Ch4 and others would consider, but thanks very much for the compliment . I do enjoy tinkering about with video editing.

Rik
[/quote]

Do you remember that series with Mark Pound, I think that’s his name. He did it with Channel 5 I think it was and some of them were debatable on the filming. I enjoyed watching them and his enthusiasm went a lot of the way for me to get into garden railway. I’m pretty sure when people see your videos Rik that will have the same result. And yours are very watchable with nothing that says β€œ look at me aren’t I good β€œ.

Ianm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Ianm » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:51 am

I agree that Rik's videos are both super quality and also inspiring. Although I enjoyed Mark Pound's series - I find the Peckforton series more informative and with the huge backup of Rik's blogs and shared materials a strong foundation for my tentative efforts in the workshop and garden.

Keep them coming Rik - :salute:
Ian M
WIRL

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:28 pm

That's very kind of you, chaps.

I certainly intend to keep my videos coming - just so long as I can think up ideas to try and avoid repetition.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:15 am

Ianm wrote: ↑Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:51 am I agree that Rik's videos are both super quality and also inspiring. Although I enjoyed Mark Pound's series - I find the Peckforton series more informative and with the huge backup of Rik's blogs and shared materials a strong foundation for my tentative efforts in the workshop and garden.

Keep them coming Rik - :salute:
[/quote]

Do you remember that series with Mark Pound, I think that’s his name. He did it with Channel 5 I think it was and some of them were debatable on the filming. I enjoyed watching them and his enthusiasm went a lot of the way for me to get into garden railway. I’m pretty sure when people see your videos Rik that will have the same result. And yours are very watchable with nothing that says β€œ look at me aren’t I good β€œ [/quote]

Did you read my comment Ianm. This is in the comment. I’m pretty sure when people see your videos Rik that will have the same result. I have been reading Rik's Blog too and there is nothing to compare with it, so yes I agree with you Ian, Rik's Blog does give people so much information and it will encourage more to start running and building 16mm, even though Rik runs 45mm :lol: :lol:

Hope you are well Ian and you are really enjoying running 16mm and of course building stuff also.
Take it easy and hope we can meet up someday. Because I think we are of the same mind in many ways...:thumbright: