PLR - the pickup goods

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

PLR - the pickup goods

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 26, 2019 8:37 am

My latest offering - before the rain set in.

I hope you enjoy it.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: PLR - the pickup goods

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 26, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks for sharing Rik, interesting as always.

One day I would like to run a Slomo loco along with your electric ones to throw some steam in there!

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sun May 26, 2019 10:27 am

A great way to spend my Sunday evening - watching your line go about its business. You sure have plenty of sidings and industries for business now.
The camera on the back of the train view is interesting, but it is hard to keep those pesky house scenes under control isn't it?
Off topic, but there must be some way to reduce the 'width' of the scene. Would zoom help I wonder?
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 26, 2019 11:21 am

gregh wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:27 am The camera on the back of the train view is interesting, but it is hard to keep those pesky house scenes under control isn't it?

Hard to get a balance between interesting bits of the line and views of the house. I cut out some of them, but others seemed unavoidable :? The most difficult job was trying to keep myself out of view - sometimes meant hiding round corners or ducking behind bushes.
gregh wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:27 am Off topic, but there must be some way to reduce the 'width' of the scene. Would zoom help I wonder?
It is quite a wide angled lens - there's some fisheye effect which can be seen on some of the shots. There is a digital 'zoom' feature on the camera but I've not tried it as I assumed it would reduce the quality of the video. I might give it a go next time I try onboard shots.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 26, 2019 11:22 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:48 am One day I would like to run a Slomo loco along with your electric ones to throw some steam in there!
There's always a welcome for visitors any time you venture North (West), Tom ...... ;)

Rik
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun May 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Absolutely fantastic Rik. I watched that and was impressed from start to finish, I just love the way you run your railway, the scale speeds and the fact that they actually do something, just amazing to watch :thumbup: :thumbleft: :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 26, 2019 12:51 pm

-steves- wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:36 pm I just love the way you run your railway, the scale speeds and the fact that they actually do something, just amazing to watch
Thanks Steve
I must admit that the operational side of railways has always been my fascination - ever since my first 00n3 layout, and then through various 009 and 00 layouts. I know some people derive great pleasure from watching their trains pass by, but I think I would become quite bored if my trains weren't run for a purpose and I didn't have to solve logistical problems of shunting and now, with the sand quarry, fitting-in other services around the copper ore and sand trains. I think traffic on my railway is probably more intense than a rural narrow gauge light railway would be in reality - but somehow, there isn't enough room in my garden for Liverpool Street Station.

I would have loved to have built a model of the Isle of Man Railway system in its heyday - now that would have been interesting.

Rik
------------------------

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon May 27, 2019 12:04 am

Yet another brilliant Peckforton video. :thumbup:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 27, 2019 9:12 am

Enjoy it !!! I loved it Rik. :thumbright: :thumbright:

The whole video put me in another world. Every bit of the running along the line makes you feel like you are there. The way all of your elements work together, even down to the cobwebs under the tunnel, or was it the bridge... :lol:

The fence at Peckforton looks like it's been there for ever and when you are shunting your trains, you can see all the effort you put into the weathering of your buildings. Like when you stopped by the woodworks, the iron work can be seen as if you are next to it.

I could go on, but..... :lol: :lol:

This has to be one of the best lines on the forum....Please keep posting more of you excellent work Rik.. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Mon May 27, 2019 11:19 am

fabulous video Rik, What video editing program do you use? your railway sets the scene fablously and you have inspired me to build a few sidings for my line too.

Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:41 am

Risk another enjoyable video to watch. I really like the watermill area excellent modelling.
Regards
Kevin

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 27, 2019 12:37 pm

Mitch stack wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:19 am ..... What video editing program do you use? .....
Mitch
Hi Mitch
I use Corel VideoStudio. Have done so for years. I like it because I'm used to it and it seems fairly stable. On the rare occasion that it crashes, when reloading it lets you carry on from where you left off. It must autosave frequently. There are all sorts of features which I never use (eg picture in picture), but I have used it for timelapse. It's not cheap, but then you get what you pay for - and they let me upgrade every so often for a modest fee.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Thanks folks for your encouragement and support. I really enjoyed making and editing this video. I haven't tried onboard video for a while so following the pickup goods seemed to be a good excuse. I've probably got twice as much footage as I used - a couple of possible outtakes (eg the marvellous swivelling tractor) might make it to YouTube - but too many shots with the house in the background to usefully use. If only I could give the house (and sheds and bird feeder) an invisibility cloak....

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon May 27, 2019 7:58 pm

I really enjoyed that, thank you! You've got a lovely line, and the realistic operation really brings out the best in it. I love the huge selection of wagons too, some of them are wonderfully decrepit looking but still working hard!

Although my line doesn't quite offer the operating potential that yours does, your video has inspired some great daydreaming about future services...

All the best,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 28, 2019 7:22 am

Andrew wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:58 pm I really enjoyed that, thank you! You've got a lovely line, and the realistic operation really brings out the best in it. I love the huge selection of wagons too, some of them are wonderfully decrepit looking but still working hard!

Although my line doesn't quite offer the operating potential that yours does, your video has inspired some great daydreaming about future services...

All the best,

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew
I must admit that, in the early days, I went for quantity over quality because I wanted to be able to start running a realistic freight service asap. One day, I will get around to detailing (or replacing) each wagon. In the meantime, decrepitude is a means of covering up some of their inadequacies. Camera close-ups aren't always too kind but, from a distance with eyes half closed, I can happily believe the railway is a fair representation of what might have been ...... :)

Rik
------------------------

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Tue May 28, 2019 5:57 pm

Interesting viewing, especially as I decided to wait and watch it on the TV rather than the laptop.
Thinking my memory was as good as when I was 20 I ended up watching Follow the Freight, from 2017 :roll: , although it did show how much your line has changed over the last 2 years. It does seem rather more sparsely populated the before, but I assume that's either down to austerity or because it's early in the season and you hadn't put out all your usual figures.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue May 28, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks Rik, this is what it's all about.

I love watching a railway at work and yours does this admirably. I'm getting to know it so well I'm begining to recognise one or two of the staff!

There doesn't seem to have been much traffic into the mill sidindg lately, mind you, if MYOB grows at the same rate as some of my Thymes that growth over the track may be the work of days rather than weeks.

The cobewebs under the first bridge on the way back looked very much like some of the trash nets that we've had over the Tottenham lines between Carlton Road JCt and Junction Road Jct. However, I suspect the residents of Peckforton and Beeston are rather less prone to dumping rubbish on the track!

THanks for taking the time and trouble to entertain us.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 am

BorisSpencer wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:57 pm Interesting viewing, especially as I decided to wait and watch it on the TV rather than the laptop.
Thinking my memory was as good as when I was 20 I ended up watching Follow the Freight, from 2017 :roll: , although it did show how much your line has changed over the last 2 years. It does seem rather more sparsely populated the before, but I assume that's either down to austerity or because it's early in the season and you hadn't put out all your usual figures.
I wondered if anyone would notice..... Can't get much past you lot :)
I decided (afterwards) that there would be very few passengers around at the times the goods train was going through the stations - apart from when the afternoon passenger passed through Peckforton. Always a less frequented service that one ;)

The real reason was that I snatched some operating time between forecasts of rain - so did minimal prep.
Soar Valley Light wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:12 pm There doesn't seem to have been much traffic into the mill siding lately
Wrong time of year for grain harvesting (he said unconvincingly ..... :? ;) )
Soar Valley Light wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:12 pm The cobewebs under the first bridge on the way back looked very much like some of the trash nets that we've had over the Tottenham lines between Carlton Road JCt and Junction Road Jct. However, I suspect the residents of Peckforton and Beeston are rather less prone to dumping rubbish on the track!
Well, you know what kids are like when they don't have enough to do ..... Interesting, just realised that, as yet, there are no members of the constabulary in the Peckforton area population. Something I'm going to have to remedy... :shock:

Rik
------------------------