Sandstone & Termite

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sandstone & Termite

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:02 am

gregh wrote: ↑Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:19 am That's for the comments everyone. I did wonder if it would be too boring.
Does anyone what to comment on whether some interspersed 'high level' shots would give a better idea of the shunting?
I certainly didn't find it boring, but then as you know, shunting and train movements are my 'thing'.

Not sure if higher level shots would add anything new. However, I'm very familiar with your railway and the set up at Melaleuca, so maybe an establishing shot or two showing how all the bits fit together might be interesting for others.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 am

Like Rik, I didn't find it boring. Higher shots from a Drone, if that's what you are contemplating Greg, would be great I think and other members would appreciate it also maybe.

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:19 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 am Like Rik, I didn't find it boring. Higher shots from a Drone, if that's what you are contemplating Greg, would be great I think and other members would appreciate it also maybe.
I wasn't thinking of a drone but maybe a view from a few feet above showing the sidings layout, or even a drawing.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:50 am

The only reason I thought of a drone is , Don't you have a mate who did a video with one last year...

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:50 am The only reason I thought of a drone is , Don't you have a mate who did a video with one last year...
You've got a good memory! I did dig out the drone videos and there is a good flyover of the Melaleuca station area. Maybe use it next video :thumbright:
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:44 am

gregh wrote: ↑Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 am
FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:50 am The only reason I thought of a drone is , Don't you have a mate who did a video with one last year...
You've got a good memory! I did dig out the drone videos and there is a good flyover of the Melaleuca station area. Maybe use it next video :thumbright:
Don't tell Anne I have a good memory Greg..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:15 am

Finally a nice day and not too hot or wet. So 3 of us ran a few trains. Not a great day as I had many track problems after all our rain.
But here's an overview without all the problems.

Greg from downunder.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:05 am

Great video Greg. Love all your locos running at speeds that seem like they should be running at. That overhang still leaves me in awe..... :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:42 am

Really enjoyable video, Greg. I do like the look and sound of your #14, especially that shot of her labouring up the gradient.

Rik
------------------------

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:50 am

Animation
An old video of how I made a campfire scene with a man poking the fire and drinking.

Here's a latter pic with his wife and dog too.
IMG_8978.JPG
IMG_8978.JPG (391.36 KiB) Viewed 10709 times

I never did any more animations as the sound of the servos is offputting. Maybe I need an mp3 player in the tent playing Waltzing Matilda?
Greg from downunder.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:19 am

Brilliant. Don't forget your swivelling driver and the stoking fireman.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:25 am

Brilliant!
I really like little touches like this ( hence my waiting room fire!), and at exhibitions they are always a crowd pleaser, especially with wives and kids.

In 4mm I once did a traction engine powered threshing machine with a motor in it, plus an elevator, and the pulleys linked by rubber bands, all flying round. The thing that really got interest though was a little man in a smock ( balloon rubber) with a pitchfork who would bend in the middle, arm move forward and flick up, to throw hay up on to the top of the machine ( he's at the front in the pic below).
Unfortunately that was before the days of affordable video cameras ( and mobile phones hadn't even been invented!) so I've only got a couple of not very good stills.
Thresher.jpg
Thresher.jpg (361.58 KiB) Viewed 10201 times
Philip

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:48 am

philipy wrote: ↑Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:25 am .....In 4mm I once did a traction engine powered threshing machine with a motor in it, plus an elevator, and the pulleys linked by rubber bands, all flying round. The thing that really got interest though was a little man in a smock ( balloon rubber) with a pitchfork who would bend in the middle, arm move forward and flick up, to throw hay up on to the top of the machine ( he's at the front in the pic below).
Unfortunately that was before the days of affordable video cameras ( and mobile phones hadn't even been invented!) so I've only got a couple of not very good stills.
Wow, to do that in HO is really pushing the limits! Too bad there's no record of it - I'd love to see the 'man in the smock'.
Greg from downunder.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:12 am

Yes, I've often regretted not having better records of him. I've just checked through my photos but there is nothing any better than the one above and certainly no video - we are talking around 1982-ish! The layout didn't actually belong to me although I did most of the scenic stuff but funded by the actual owner, so when it was scrapped I didn't get to salvage anything.

FWIW, this quick sketch shows roughly what was under his smock. The balloon rubber was flexible enough to not impede the movement. The head to toe height would have been about 23mm.
CCF_000017.png
CCF_000017.png (130.87 KiB) Viewed 10191 times
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:25 am

Great idea and job with the fire Greg. Just shows what we can do with some thought, whilst we ponder away with our hobby.....

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Greg, the noise of the servo is normally down to the drive train (plastic makes loads of noise) so maybe try a servo with metal gears?

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:14 am

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:03 pm Greg, the noise of the servo is normally down to the drive train (plastic makes loads of noise) so maybe try a servo with metal gears?
I know you're correct, but it always seems funny to me that plastic is noisier. I think some of the noise with the man is the slow speed of operation. I had to drive the servo sort of 'one step at a time', for the drinking action, with a small 30ms time delay between. Anyhow, that's my explanation. :shock:
Greg from downunder.

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:03 am

I usually like to make my videos look as realistic as possible, with 'sensible' train operations. But with my daughter and 2 grandkids visiting from USA, it was time to just 'PLAY TRAINS.
Here's a video that gives views of the train and (ugly) yard and 5 of us having fun. For a bit of a laugh, the kids' favourite was driving the road traction engine.
Greg from downunder.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:14 am

Great video Greg. Not only does it show your railway in its entirety, it shows how a garden railway can be a wonderfully unifying family affair...

Rik
------------------------

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:46 am

Thanks Rik. It was great fun. Maybe I've been concentrating too much on Operation and not just 'playing'.
Greg from downunder.