More HGLW Wittenberg-Schafer!

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: More HGLW Wittenberg-Schafer!

Post by IanC » Mon May 14, 2018 2:56 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:52 am
Chris Bird wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:30 am Michael - I don't think noisy motor/gears is a big issue with the HGLW locos.
I fiddled with the gear meshing on my recent HGLW loco until it I thought I'd got it perfect. It travels forward as sweetly and quietly as we'd all like - but sounds like a badly silenced moped in reverse. Now why might that be?

Rik
When I build 4mm locomotives I often have the same experience with a single worm and wheel drive. In one direction all is well. In the other not so good. Whenever I can, I use a two stage gearbox and the running is always quieter and smoother. I too would be interested to know what others think.

Ian
Ian

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 pm

I designed the chassis so I'm well aware what noises it makes ;) They are not obtrusively loud if used outdoors, I'm just not a fan of the sound they make.

RIk, I think part of the problem is that the spur gear is not really a proper match for the worm gear. Look at proper worm/spur gear sets. The area of contact is larger. Anyway, the lighter the load on the worm gear the better, hence why I'm pursuing a two stage gearbox.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 pm I designed the chassis so I'm well aware what noises it makes ;) They are not obtrusively loud if used outdoors, I'm just not a fan of the sound they make.

RIk, I think part of the problem is that the spur gear is not really a proper match for the worm gear. Look at proper worm/spur gear sets. The area of contact is larger. Anyway, the lighter the load on the worm gear the better, hence why I'm pursuing a two stage gearbox.
Thanks. The noise is not a problem - I was just concerned that noise might equate with wear.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Mon May 14, 2018 7:55 pm

I've thought for a while now that the different sounds in each direction was something to do with the end play in the motor - in one direction the rotor always falls due to gravity and the worm drive pulls down as well, in the other direction the worm drive pushes the rotor up, the spur rotates and the rotor falls again and this rattle causes the odd sound.

However, I've just tested our HGLW loco and it sounds worse running forwards where the worm is pulled down, which I guess throws that theory out of the window. :D

By far the quietest chassis we have is one from Essel, with a horizontal geared motor and bevel drive - no worms at all seems to be the way to go.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 15, 2018 10:59 am

Or have sound cards….. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: