More HGLW Wittenberg-Schafer!

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

More HGLW Wittenberg-Schafer!

Post by Chris Bird » Wed May 09, 2018 9:48 am

Another little video - more sunshttps:

//youtu.be/l0AX_GfQ48s

Cheers
Chris

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Re: More HGLW Wittenberg-Schafer!

Post by Chris Bird » Wed May 09, 2018 9:49 am

Let's try that again!

https://youtu.be/l0AX_GfQ48s

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Chris Bird wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:49 am Let's try that again!

https://youtu.be/l0AX_GfQ48s
Great looking video - and loco, Chris.
The music is good too. Is it part of the video editing package or something you've downloaded?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Chris Bird » Wed May 09, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks Rik! The music is a Youtube freebee from their Creator selection - as are the others I have used recently.
Cheers
Chris

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 10, 2018 7:53 am

Chris Bird wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:34 pm Thanks Rik! The music is a Youtube freebee from their Creator selection - as are the others I have used recently.
Cheers
Chris
That's useful to know, thanks.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 11, 2018 7:14 am

I agree the video is great, but please why is the music so load. I understand that you may be putting onto the video because of trying to get rid of wind noise, but can it not be put on at a lower level.

Keep the videos coming though, I love your’e line and the pulling power is brilliant of that little Diesel…1.6kgs, that is impressive. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Chris Bird » Fri May 11, 2018 11:48 am

Well Rod - the music is added at 35% of normal volume, as is the ambient noise. I am afraid that the whirr-whirr of the little loco does not make for relaxing viewing and nor does the wind noise. On the other hand I find the music very pleasant!

When I first started making steam videos I tried adding music, but found that folk preferred just the Chuff (and the occasional birdsong) which suited me. The downside is that I always need to film on a still day and it can take hours of work to film and edit a three minute film. Using music I can make a quick film when it is windy and need far less takes for a decent edit.

I will certainly bear your comment in mind though......
Cheers
Chris

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri May 11, 2018 12:08 pm

I must admit I hadn't realised there was so much work involved in making a video. I hadn't really thought too much about the music either. I was too engrossed in the line and the loco.

The music doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the video. With or without music? As far as I'm concerned if the video has interesting content I don't mind music. I suppose if I come across a video with music not to my taste or too loud I can always use the volume control :lol: .

Ian
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri May 11, 2018 12:37 pm

If you don't like the music use the mute button.

Thanks for the video Chris, garden is looking great.

Tom

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 12, 2018 6:34 am

Wait on a minute you lot, I was just making an observation. :scratch: :scratch:

I don’t mind music as you can see in the thread “What Music do you like” But sometimes people do what to hear the whirl whirl of the gears and other stuff. :roll:

Has for the making of the videos, I love watching videos of garden rail or any thing connected to trains, take note, I said anything, meaning it could be something that doesn’t show a train, but it is connected in some way to it.

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Chris Bird » Sat May 12, 2018 8:59 am

No offense taken here Rod - I am always interested in feedback and discussion about production styles :D
Cheers
Chris

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 12, 2018 9:04 am

No problem Chris. I love seeing your videos. I have subscribed to your channel, so it doesn’t bother me really, but sometimes videos have so much load music it does distract the enjoyment of them. :thumbright: :thumbright:

And no I don’t want to mute them…. :roll: :roll:

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat May 12, 2018 10:58 am

I've been giving the whirring of gears some though as I found the sound annoying. It can be quite obtrusive if the gears are poorly meshed. Introducing a second gear stage would probably lessen the noise if the worm is used in the first stage of the gearing. There would be less load on it and therefore less noise. I have loads of double gears in different sized to experiment with. With a higher gear ratio it would be possible to run the motor at a higher voltage, more suitable for some R/C equipment.

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Chris Bird » Mon May 14, 2018 9:30 am

Michael - I don't think noisy motor/gears is a big issue with the HGLW locos. I have this one and another based on their chassis and do not find it obtrusive at all. The thing is that I film mostly at scale driver eye level with close-to-camera passing shots, so the sensitive mike appears to amplify the sound.
Cheers
Chris

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 14, 2018 10:52 am

Chris Bird wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:30 am Michael - I don't think noisy motor/gears is a big issue with the HGLW locos.
I fiddled with the gear meshing on my recent HGLW loco until it I thought I'd got it perfect. It travels forward as sweetly and quietly as we'd all like - but sounds like a badly silenced moped in reverse. Now why might that be?

Rik
------------------------

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon May 14, 2018 2:56 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:52 am
Chris Bird wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:30 am Michael - I don't think noisy motor/gears is a big issue with the HGLW locos.
I fiddled with the gear meshing on my recent HGLW loco until it I thought I'd got it perfect. It travels forward as sweetly and quietly as we'd all like - but sounds like a badly silenced moped in reverse. Now why might that be?

Rik
When I build 4mm locomotives I often have the same experience with a single worm and wheel drive. In one direction all is well. In the other not so good. Whenever I can, I use a two stage gearbox and the running is always quieter and smoother. I too would be interested to know what others think.

Ian
Ian

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 pm

I designed the chassis so I'm well aware what noises it makes ;) They are not obtrusively loud if used outdoors, I'm just not a fan of the sound they make.

RIk, I think part of the problem is that the spur gear is not really a proper match for the worm gear. Look at proper worm/spur gear sets. The area of contact is larger. Anyway, the lighter the load on the worm gear the better, hence why I'm pursuing a two stage gearbox.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 pm I designed the chassis so I'm well aware what noises it makes ;) They are not obtrusively loud if used outdoors, I'm just not a fan of the sound they make.

RIk, I think part of the problem is that the spur gear is not really a proper match for the worm gear. Look at proper worm/spur gear sets. The area of contact is larger. Anyway, the lighter the load on the worm gear the better, hence why I'm pursuing a two stage gearbox.
Thanks. The noise is not a problem - I was just concerned that noise might equate with wear.

Rik
------------------------

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Mon May 14, 2018 7:55 pm

I've thought for a while now that the different sounds in each direction was something to do with the end play in the motor - in one direction the rotor always falls due to gravity and the worm drive pulls down as well, in the other direction the worm drive pushes the rotor up, the spur rotates and the rotor falls again and this rattle causes the odd sound.

However, I've just tested our HGLW loco and it sounds worse running forwards where the worm is pulled down, which I guess throws that theory out of the window. :D

By far the quietest chassis we have is one from Essel, with a horizontal geared motor and bevel drive - no worms at all seems to be the way to go.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 15, 2018 10:59 am

Or have sound cards….. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: