Setting up a MyLocoSound steam soundcard

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Setting up a MyLocoSound steam soundcard

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:38 am

After a request about how I set up MyLocoSound steam soundcards so they will go into 'coasting' mode when slowing down or coming to a halt, I've made a little video demonstrating the setting-up process. I hope others find it useful.

Rik
PS - This was set-up using a combined Deltang Rx65b receiver/ESC. Other ESCs might give different results.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Setting up a MyLocoSound steam soundcard

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:51 pm

Look out live steam...... your days are numbered!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Just seen this Rik and I must say what a brilliant video, although I have seen it 4 times today now, it is still a little bit confusing, but I am getting somewhere to understanding it because of your video.

Thank you. :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 pm

P.S Rik,

What Deltang Tx and Rx do you recommend, I want to have separate TX and Rx for my Battery locos. I am thinking of getting some sound cards in the future, so would it be better with a Tx and Rx that can do them functions 1st or would it just be advisable to just get the TX. Or would the Micron systems be better, it is just a little bit of a mine field at the moment for me.

Sorry for going on with the question’s... :|

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:32 pm

In his post he states he is using a Deltang Rx65b.

Use can use whatever Deltang Tx you want depending on how many sound functions you want to trigger although the MyLocoSound unit does automate most of sounds by the looks of it.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 pm P.S Rik,

What Deltang Tx and Rx do you recommend, I want to have separate TX and Rx for my Battery locos. I am thinking of getting some sound cards in the future, so would it be better with a Tx and Rx that can do them functions 1st or would it just be advisable to just get the TX. Or would the Micron systems be better, it is just a little bit of a mine field at the moment for me.

Sorry for going on with the question’s... :|
No problem with asking questions - especially if they're ones I know the answer to.

As Tom says, I'd use the Rx65b combined receiver/ESC as it gives the greatest range of outputs and can handle a load of up to 3A. I've managed to squeeze my Rx65s into even the smallest locos.

The Tx20 gives the greatest number of buttons for triggering sound effects but I find that the Tx22 (which has fewer buttons) is quite sufficient for the effects I tend to use most (eg the whistle, safety valve and one other effect such as the guard's whistle or brake pump). The Tx22 has the advantage that it can control up to 12 locos independently.

Of course, I would say the RC Trains Txs are the best but I am probably heavily biased - to be fair the Micron controllers are likely to be just as good as they will be using the same circuity. I can't tell from their blurb though whether their cases have a battery compartment. Although the PP3 battery lasts ages, it is a bit of a fag if you have to unscrew the case to replace the battery.

It looks as if Phil at RC Trains is not taking orders for Txs at the moment and so, as far as I know, the only other sources of Tx22s are Micron or Yatton.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:04 pm

FWIW, I have a Tx22 /Rx65b/MyLocoSound setup, which works fine for steam sound plus loco whistle plus guards whistle
Philip