Following the Freight

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Following the Freight

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 11, 2017 7:02 pm

My latest offering. It follows a typical pick-up goods train during one of my operating sessions. Decided to make the most of the weather over the last couple of days. Hope you enjoy ..............

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Following the Freight

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu May 11, 2017 9:57 pm

The stream running along your railway Rik is brilliant, does it need a pump to circulate the water?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Wonderful stuff Rik.... I loved everything about it, particularly the natural surroundings which add such realism.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu May 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Great video Rik. Using the manifest gives a running session a real sense of purpose, wagons placed in order in the train, instead of randomly. Wagons in appropriate places to be picked up. I imagine a real sense of satisfaction when completed successfully. I used to do a similar thing in HO.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 12, 2017 7:36 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 9:57 pm The stream running along your railway Rik is brilliant, does it need a pump to circulate the water?
Hi Tom
Yes, quite a hefty one which I then split into two - a smaller pipe for the narrow upper stream and then a larger one which adds to this stream under the bridge.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 12, 2017 8:16 am

Peter Butler wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 10:12 pm Wonderful stuff Rik.... I loved everything about it, particularly the natural surroundings which add such realism.
Thanks Peter. That's very encouraging. I do try to pay attention to the background when framing shots - don't always get it right and sometimes it's difficult to get the house or the garage (or the bird feeder) out of the background.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 12, 2017 8:26 am

LNR wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 11:59 pm Great video Rik. Using the manifest gives a running session a real sense of purpose, wagons placed in order in the train, instead of randomly. Wagons in appropriate places to be picked up. I imagine a real sense of satisfaction when completed successfully. I used to do a similar thing in HO.
Grant.
Hi Grant. Thanks. It's always been an ambition of mine to create an entire railway system from the days when I created my first 'proper' 00n3 railway (must have been in 1965). Never managed to achieve this indoors but the garden offered a solution. For me, the operation of the railway is my great joy. I tend to turn half a blind eye to the inaccuracies of my modelling (I really admire the quality of your modelling techniques BTW) in favour of having sufficient stock to run interesting train movements at realistic speeds. One day, I might start replacing some of my more inaccurate models with more realistic versions, but for now as long as I can have an interesting operating session, I can live with the anomalies.
Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Lovely Rik, thank you.
It took very nearly an hour to download over my unbelievably slow Egyptian hotel connection, but well worth waiting for.
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri May 12, 2017 8:15 pm

Rik, I could watch your railway running all day long. It really is a railway in the proper sense of the word. I'd never appreciated from previous clips just how much 'on the collar' it is in some places on your line!

I particularly loved the shot of the train coming over the swing bridge. I also love the way the train composition changes, because of the way you generate the loadings it makes it all real.

I take it that's MYOB growing on the banks of the Gowy.

Thanks for sharing,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 12, 2017 9:33 pm

philipy wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:39 pm Lovely Rik, thank you.
It took very nearly an hour to download over my unbelievably slow Egyptian hotel connection, but well worth waiting for.
Thanks.
Hopefully, a taste of home while you're in foreign parts
Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:15 pm Rik, I could watch your railway running all day long. It really is a railway in the proper sense of the word. I'd never appreciated from previous clips just how much 'on the collar' it is in some places on your line!
I particularly loved the shot of the train coming over the swing bridge. I also love the way the train composition changes, because of the way you generate the loadings it makes it all real.
I take it that's MYOB growing on the banks of the Gowy.
Andrew
Hi Andrew
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, plenty of MYOB - it all started from one very small pot of it from the garden centre
Rik
PS - What does 'on the collar' mean?
------------------------

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sat May 13, 2017 5:48 am

Great video Rik :thumbup: - love the way the system throws challenges up to you as the operator - I just need more sidings on my line - planning the first one for a brewery!

I also would be intrigued to know what "on the collar' means!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat May 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Hello Rik,

I've been warned that MYOB can take some restraining :shock: Still it looks like great ground cover and is nicely in scale.

'on the collar' is one of those old railway sayings that I suspect came from either coaching or carting. It refers to the weight of a horses load being on the head collar when working hard or more particularly going up hill. Thus, the work was always said to be 'on the collar' when a loco was working hard up hill.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 14, 2017 7:23 am

Soar Valley Light wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:13 pm Hello Rik,

I've been warned that MYOB can take some restraining :shock: Still it looks like great ground cover and is nicely in scale.

'on the collar' is one of those old railway sayings that I suspect came from either coaching or carting. It refers to the weight of a horses load being on the head collar when working hard or more particularly going up hill. Thus, the work was always said to be 'on the collar' when a loco was working hard up hill.
Aha, all is revealed..... It makes sense now you've explained it.

Yes, MYOB does spread spectacularly well. However, it prefers shady areas so the few patches of my garden which are shade-free also tend to be MYOB-free. It's shallow rooted and so can be easily pulled up when it encroaches too far (eg in the stream, across the tracks).

Rik
------------------------