Loco lamps

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Loco lamps

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 01, 2017 11:23 am

A short video showing how I made some lamps for my Stainz loco conversion

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Re: Loco lamps

Post by philipy » Mon May 01, 2017 2:21 pm

Looks good Rik.
Clever idea videoing in the dark so we can't see there is no little man running back and forth to switch the red and white lamps between front and rear! :lol:
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:41 am

Just come across this video and even I think I could do one of those and I am rubbish at soldering. Thanks Rik. :thumbright:
Last edited by FWLR on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:57 am

Your a whiz with electronics Rik, and video making. Also enjoyed the making of the swing bridge, and the resin wagon builds, great work.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Just had a go at making one.... how the heck do you get your fingers unglued, it was a little bit fiddly and it didn’t come out right so binned it... now got to try and get the flipping glue off πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:22 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:00 pm Just had a go at making one.... how the heck do you get your fingers unglued, it was a little bit fiddly and it didn’t come out right so binned it... now got to try and get the flipping glue off πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I tend to use one of these when I need to use solvent sparingly
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks Rik, will have to get some more of that stuff..I have used it for my N Gauge modelling, but I thought it wasn’t water resistant.

Been using some other stuff that has the much wider spouts, which you need to cut back, therefore you get to much out after you have to try your hardest to unblock it. This is what I have been using and it’s a pain to try and keep free flowing.
M546513P01WL.jpg
M546513P01WL.jpg (31.89 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
I bought a batch of 8 a few months ago and I have had to throw 3 of them when still half full because I just couldn’t get them to run out of the nozzle. :cry:

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:42 am

Rod,
If you are using superglue for tiny plastic parts, it's no wonder you get it everywhere! Try using a proper solvent, as Rik is suggesting, and you'll get on much better. Solvents by definition ARE water resistant, since they weld the two separate plastic pieces into one homogenous mass and then evaporate. IMO superglues are always a last resort for a temporary fix, and never on plastics.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks Philip, I have taken your’s and Rik’s advice on board. :thumbright: :thumbright:

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:31 pm

Yes - the old liquid poly is best for little bits of plastic to plastic - BUT if you want/have to use superglue in small places, perhaps where plastic doesn't feature (and to use up your superglue in those tubs)

a) chop off the 'gummy' top of the superglue nozzle to get a clean edge
b) size a screw to screw into the hole - keeps it sealed and you can extract with a screw diver going forward - take screw out again
c) now get a small amount of glue out onto an throwaway-able plastic surface - I use old milk carton plastic screw lids (spot the tight yorkshire man)
d) get a cocktail stick or similar small wooden off cut
e) collect a bit of superglue on the end and apply carefully a smear/blob onto the area you want it
f) repeat as necessary on surface and item to be stuck
g) bring together (using tweezers/pliers) to avoid your fingers joining the party

Stand back and admire your handiwork
Where did I put that uncoupler?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:06 pm

If I can get glue on my hands or fingers start to stick I just apply water.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:29 am

markoteal wrote: ↑Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:31 pm Yes - the old liquid poly is best for little bits of plastic to plastic - BUT if you want/have to use superglue in small places, perhaps where plastic doesn't feature (and to use up your superglue in those tubs)

a) chop off the 'gummy' top of the superglue nozzle to get a clean edge
b) size a screw to screw into the hole - keeps it sealed and you can extract with a screw diver going forward - take screw out again
c) now get a small amount of glue out onto an throwaway-able plastic surface - I use old milk carton plastic screw lids (spot the tight yorkshire man)
d) get a cocktail stick or similar small wooden off cut
e) collect a bit of superglue on the end and apply carefully a smear/blob onto the area you want it
f) repeat as necessary on surface and item to be stuck
g) bring together (using tweezers/pliers) to avoid your fingers joining the party

Stand back and admire your handiwork
Thanks Mark thats brilliant advice.... :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: