Thomas at the End of the Line

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Sandwell Valley Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

Thomas at the End of the Line

Post by Sandwell Valley Railway » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:52 pm

The Sandwell Valley Railway used to be very busy transporting both passengers and goods, but recently traffic has all but dried up. What will happen to the railway, Thomas and his friends?

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xxxxxxxxxxx?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/REBl3BVpU34?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Very impressive. Mind you you would have thought with the gas axe looming the engines of Sodor wouldn't be looking so happy about it.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:07 pm

A bit of time spent on that sequence I imagine, nice work. While working for ABC TV doing drama, we shot chroma key work to be cut into the series we were shooting. I had always believed the camera never lies, but it doesn't always tell the truth either.
Grant.

Sandwell Valley Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Sandwell Valley Railway » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:57 pm

LNR:123398 wrote:A bit of time spent on that sequence I imagine, nice work. While working for ABC TV doing drama, we shot chroma key work to be cut into the series we were shooting. I had always believed the camera never lies, but it doesn't always tell the truth either.
Grant.
Thanks Grant.
From initial idea to finished video it took about 7 weeks. However a lot of that time was taken up by waiting for people to grab to appear in the film.
Last edited by Sandwell Valley Railway on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:01 pm

That is absolutely superb, looking forwards to part 2, very well done :)
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Sandwell Valley Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Thomas at the End of the Line

Post by Sandwell Valley Railway » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:16 pm

-steves- wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:01 pm That is absolutely superb, looking forwards to part 2, very well done :)
Thanks, and here at last is a link to the eagerly awaited second and concluding part of the video - https://youtu.be/_kKMqEGuDqA.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:05 am

Nice ending, I guess we can expect more episodes on a new railway when you get settled in. Thanks for sharing.
Grant.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:41 am

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I am not sure why more people have not commented on this, it is by far one of the best things I have ever seen done with a garden railway. It made me quite sad to watch it and I hope the new line comes to fruition as quickly as possible :D
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:13 am

Entertaining, if poignant, and a novel way to signal the end of an era :( Will the Wychbold and Stoke Prior Railway still offer Thomas the chance for heroics like his involvement in the great cave rescue? :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Sandwell Valley Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Sandwell Valley Railway » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Thanks for all of the really nice comments. Sorry I haven't replied sooner but I've only just got internet access connected. Work on the new railway will not start until next year but Thomas and his friends will be involved in helping me with the work and I'm sure that their adventures will be recorded, so there will be more heroics like when he took the poorly caver to hospital.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:50 am

Very poignant - especially the last bit of Part 2. Looking forward to seeing the new railway develop. I assume the garden was a critical factor in the selection of the new house.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Sandwell Valley Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Sandwell Valley Railway » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:04 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:50 am Very poignant - especially the last bit of Part 2. Looking forward to seeing the new railway develop. I assume the garden was a critical factor in the selection of the new house.

Rik
The size of the garden and the fact that it only has a relatively gentle slope did help us decide on the property. Although making the video was tinged with sadness filming it was a cathartic experience which helped me leave the old railway behind with no regrets.