Merlin Mayflower #322, first steam up in 25+years

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Merlin Mayflower #322, first steam up in 25+years

Post by artfull dodger » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:07 am

After getting home from visiting my wife in the hospital(she is getting better slowly, prayers work!)I took to cleaning up and firing up my new Merlin Mayflower #332.  Hasn't been steamed in 25 plus years.  I took the body off and polished up the paint work, made sure all the fittings were tight.  I added 150ml of water(what is the working capacity of this boiler?), filled the gas tank and lit the burner via the chimney.  Flame snapped back right away, sounds like a Accucraft burner.  Had the nice smell of burning dust for all those years of slumber.  Eased the throttle forward and back wards to clear the cylinders and spun her over in each direction for a min or two each way.  Then I shot the short video.  There is a unused tap on the backhead where I can put my Regner whistle, just have to get a second servo so I can control it with the extra RC channel.  I think I like this little girl over my Argyll!  The steam plume is way better than the RH, must have something to do with the narrow chimney. Can't wait to try on the track with a load.  Supposed to be around 50'F later this week, if the rain holds off while I am home, I will give it a go.  Cheers   Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!