Video of Merlin Midas on the first section of the VoDLR

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Video of Merlin Midas on the first section of the VoDLR

Post by Joe » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:40 am

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8mtIg1ioXE4?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8mtIg1ioXE4?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Steam is highly under rated

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:32 pm

I got dizzy following the Loco round that first bend. :)
Regards Graham.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:00 pm

That's running really well - and the layout's coming on nicely too. Is that the upper loop taking shape? It's going to look marvellous when it's landscaped...

Andrew.

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks Andrew, its the upper loop in terms of distance from the bottom of the garden however it could also be classed as the lower loop because the spiral will go around that and over the track like at Ddualt :lol:
I will raise the soil height so "ground level" will be at the height of Ddualt station area meaning most of the lower loop wont actually appear raised like it does at the moment. Heres an updated plan and a pic of the viaduct (on right hand spur):

note that the ffestiniog station will be by no means entirely accurate however as its an island platform i aim to make it similar.

Also the two spurs either side will be raised, the right hand one loosing height down the spiral (before that the track will be on a 30ft viaduct! which i hope to add wooden trestles to) and the left hand spur gaining height from the junction to ffestiniog.

As people have suggested it would be nice to have more curves and less straight sections but this really isnt that practical in the space i have to work with however the spiral will have a very nice flowing curve which should look great with some FR bogie coaches on
Steam is highly under rated

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:09 pm

You're off to a great start there Joe, the scheme looks to be quite ambitious but you seem to have it all worked out. I'll be interested to see it progress.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi Joe,

Great stuff! Your wooden superstructure looks like a really quality piece of work - well done!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"