PLR - October running session

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

PLR - October running session

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Just uploaded a video showing shots from my most recent operating session
<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g3CFEkeZ77U?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g3CFEkeZ77U?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

URL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3CFEkeZ77U
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:25 pm

Well, what is there to say?..... lovely! Very restful watching the trains go by. Beautifully scenic and nicely paced.
Once the washing on the line has been banned and dispatched to the laundry there should be no further distractions.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:18 pm

Thanks Rik, it reminds me of my ultimate goal.

Nice to see that freight traffic is holding up on your line.

The line is really blending into the garden now, it looks very natural. I love your stream. I remember reading about it when you were first developing it and being impressed. In fact, I decided on the strength of seeing it that I would have to try and create something myself. Since then I've continued to admire your handiwork and I have to say that it seems more and more natural with every new video.

The blue tits in the final shots didn't seem too impressed by the trains!

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:47 am

Rik,
Inspirational as always, thank you.
So nice to see 'proper' trains at sensible speeds in a realistic landscape - a model OF a railway, not just a model railway.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks chaps, very kind of you.
Peter Butler:113733 wrote: Once the washing on the line has been banned and dispatched to the laundry there should be no further distractions.
Soar Valley Light:113736 wrote: The blue tits in the final shots didn't seem too impressed by the trains!
Blimey - you're eagle-eyed. I spotted the washing in the background in the first shot of the copper mine, but still struggling to spot the blue tits. I noticed the foliage moving but still can't quite make out what's causing it. Must try watching it on a bigger screen.
philipy:113738 wrote: So nice to see 'proper' trains at sensible speeds in a realistic landscape - a model OF a  railway, not just a  model railway.
Thanks Philip. That's been my intention since I was a kid. I think it was Awdry's Isle of Sodor which first inspired me to create a whole railway system since seeing his Ffarquar Branch in action in Central Hall Westminster..... Only took me another 50 odd years to realise

Rik
------------------------

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:22 am

Superb. A lovely mixture of what you and nature have acheived.
Battery powered locos both diesel and steam outline do have the edge over live steam when it comes to close control. :shock:
Didn't notice the blue tits either. :lol:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:08 pm

BTW - If you're wondering why there's a US-type bell ringing before the train departs in the first clip - I'm following Southwold Railway practice ..... :D

https://youtu.be/ygtjCLh4YBs?t=2m10s

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygtjCLh4YBs?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygtjCLh4YBs?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

(see 2min 10sec)

Rik
------------------------

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:10 am

Rik, as always a pleasure to watch your trains in action. :)[/b]

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:33 am

Thank you Rik for a nice remembrance of your garden railway. And a lovely video of your smooth running trains. We'd loved it.
Greetings from Berit and Kjell from Norway. :D
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:06 am

KjellAn:113752 wrote:Thank you Rik for a nice remembrance of your garden railway. And a lovely video of your smooth running trains. We'd loved it.
Greetings from Berit and Kjell from Norway.  :D
Thanks Kjell
I hope you had a good time in Wales and got to ride on a few trains. I think weather remained good while you were there.

Skaal

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:24 am

Dwayne:113750 wrote:Rik, as always a pleasure to watch your trains in action. :)[/b]
Thanks Dwayne
Following this session a friend and his wife came over for a meal. He's a wargamer and for some reason he's never seen my trains running, even though I've been picking his brains for years over painting and weathering techniques. So we had a good hour and a half's running with four trains on the go and had only one derailment (which was down to points failure - ie the blades not switching over fully).

Normally, when visitors come, anything that could go wrong will go wrong (Murphy's Law). But I think the trains were being on their best behaviour.

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:01 pm

ge_rik:113754 wrote:Normally, when visitors come, anything that could go wrong will go wrong (Murphy's Law)
Yes don't they just!

Great looking line as always Rik. I do enjoy the slower speeds you achieve with your electric locos although I am hoping when the Lady Anne SSP slomo is released (anyone heard anything BTW, I do not want to pester Terry again!) I will be able to achieve something similar with live steam.

Keep the videos coming :)