York Model Engineering Society

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

York Model Engineering Society

Post by williamfj » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:28 pm

As I intend to take more photos and videos of the garden railway, and hopefully the raised and ground level lines, I thought I might as well create one thread rather than create numerous threads every time I've bothered to take a few photos! :lol:

This is what lies underneath the GVT tram body seen in the background, simple and reliable, what more do you want.

A token shot of Minnie, too be fair it is a spot that only accessible either by crawling under the railway or by leaning over the line.

Minnie laid up next to an Accucraft Caradoc that's raring to go while a diesel lurks in the background waiting to pounce.

The RHBR has hired a 2nd crew member for Minnie, all he's in charge of is the gas valve which explained how Minnie was either blowing off or short of steam most of the day!

Another video, it's better than the last one IMO, although I probably filmed too much from one steaming bay.
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/nHlCIB54i4w?hl=en_GB& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/nHlCIB54i4w?hl=en_GB&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:40 pm

Nicely done mate, cheers for sharing with us. Must visit some day :)

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks Doug

I forgot to add a photo of the RHBR's advanced camera crew in operation, one day I will get a full lap on video that is at least acceptable!

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Great stuff, like the GVT!

kes
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by kes » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:07 am

Great to see another Gosling Tram - and a chain drive too. I am lucky enough to own Phurcombe Hall, the prototype of these built for Graham Lamb, which was previously thought to be the only one with a chain drive. The others have a drive shaft & gears instead.

There is a register of Gosling GVT trams being put together with their works numbers by the 16mm heritage association - they would love to hear about yours, it's a rare beastie :-)

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks for the interest in the GVT tram, it's not mine sadly but I should see it's owner tomorrow so I'll ask him about it.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:58 pm

Rather than add another thread I'll simply revive this one to add some photos of the 16mm action during YC&DMES' BBQ. A grand day out was had by all, apart from some cloud early on the weather was fine, the food was good and there were no accidents.

Bicycle race in York, never heard of it!
Bike Race, What Bike Race!? by williamfj2, on Flickr

While I waited for some clear line ahead I decided to have a quick play with the blowdown valve.
Blowing Down by williamfj2, on Flickr

Sammy is a combination of a Beck chassis, Roundhouse pot boiler, and homemade bodywork, lubricator and meths burner.
Sammy by williamfj2, on Flickr

A Roundhouse Sammie based Forney, I had a crack at driving her and found her to be surprisingly quick if a bit touchy.
Rebecca by williamfj2, on Flickr

It's amazing how much of a difference replacing the crude lump that Roundhouse fit to the smokebox makes to the Fowler
Fowler by williamfj2, on Flickr

An Accucraft leader and a Roundhouse Fowler stabled at one of the steaming bays.
Christine & the Fowler by williamfj2, on Flickr

An attempt to show that the YC&DMES line can be more than just a railway on sticks
Railway on Sticks by williamfj2, on Flickr

This photo shows the industrial area seen in the above photo to better effect.
Sightseeing? by williamfj2, on Flickr

A modified Accucraft shay brews up, I like the tower spark arrestor fitted to this one, I wonder how one will look on a Millie!
Shay by williamfj2, on Flickr

A very nice example of Peter Angus' DeWinton ambles by, her driver soaking up the summer sun.
DeWinton by williamfj2, on Flickr

Another Peter Angus loco, this time a 10 year old Lumpy Tom shuffles past
Lumpy Tom by williamfj2, on Flickr

Minnie is photographed with steam coming from her chimney, a very rare shot!
Minnie by williamfj2, on Flickr

It looks like I won't be running at the next running day (20th July) as it it our charity day and I've been volunteered to drive a loco as part of a shunting challenge on the 16mm, so that could be worth watching!  :lol:

DJM
New User
New User

Post by DJM » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:09 pm

Who is the maker of Minnie?
Duncan
---------------------------
Fred (Dibnah) 4 Eva!!!!!!
---------------------------
Currently looking for: A Mamod SL1/2/3 in need of some (not a lot) TLC at a reasonable price. PM me if availiable

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:08 pm

williamfj:91983 wrote:Thanks Doug

I forgot to add a photo of the RHBR's advanced camera crew in operation, one day I will get a full lap on video that is at least acceptable!
I´ll have to remember the trick with the camera for the K&NWLR but I´m still a little worried about clearances ... :shock:

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:38 pm

DJM:103016 wrote:Who is the maker of Minnie?
It looks like Minnie is a Roundhouse Millie, part of their basic series. :D
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:41 pm

DJM:103016 wrote:Who is the maker of Minnie?
Minnie is one of Roundhouse's 'Basic Series' locos, a Millie to be precise.
kandnwlr:103017 wrote:I´ll have to remember the trick with the camera for the K&NWLR but I´m still a little worried about clearances ...  :shock:
That's one benefit of a railway on sticks!

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:45 pm

Today saw the annual visit of the Yorkshire Area Group to the York line, as you'd expect it was busy for most of the day, although as per usual my camera saw little action! :roll:

The visitors were certainly prepared, I'll give them that! :lol:
Snowplough by williamfj2, on Flickr

Peter Angus brought this little(!) stunner with him, a 7/8ths scale Hudswell Clarke based on a Roudhouse Karen chassis
Maisie by williamfj2, on Flickr

I wish I could have taken this home with me!
Leeds No.1 by williamfj2, on Flickr

While I don't think any member of the B class has been lined like this it does look good
Tenzig by williamfj2, on Flickr

Another eye catching visitor was this model of the Brecon Mountain Railway's Jung
Kilnsey by williamfj2, on Flickr

I've added 2 more opens to my fleet, a part built IP freelance example (No.60) and a plastic bodied open of unknown provenance (No.45). The new couple are the 3rd & 4th wagons from Dylan in this photo, while I did take a snap of them my increasingly annoying camera decided that they were white.
Coals to Dringhouses by williamfj2, on Flickr

During a quick pit stop I noticed smoke coming from the gap between Dylan's boiler & saddle tank, moved her back and saw that I'd managed to set the track on fire. In my defence I'm by no means the first to do it and I only damaged one sleeper! ;)
Dylan at the end of the day, no parts lost, no collisions, only 1 small fire so all in all a good day
Dylan by williamfj2, on Flickr

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:00 am

Really must get round to visiting one day! :lol:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:07 pm

Lovely pictures, especially Maisie the 7/8 tank. I had a smile at the fact that only one fire adds up to a good day! :lol:

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:07 am

bazzer42:103743 wrote:Lovely pictures, especially Maisie the 7/8 tank. I had a smile at the fact that only one fire adds up to a good day!  :lol:
Yesterday was even better with no fires at all! ;) I'd decided to take Minnie & Dylan although Dylan would be arriving later as she'd been away for modifications to her meths tank that should make it harder to start fires, although I'm sure I'll find a way!

While I didn't have Dylan at the start of the day I did have Minnie & Dylan's tender.

As I steamed up in a different steaming bay I decided to take my tools & a crippled wagon to my normal haunt by rail, but I'm not sure if the water bottle & gas can were strictly speaking within the loading gauge!

Minnie & Dylan in steam together for the first time

Which naturally lead to this

One of the earliest Dylans around, fitted with larger cylinders and a modified meths tank. The plate on the frames moves exposing holes that are used to make lighting, checking and blowing the fire out easier.

Dylan and Dylan then double headed for a few laps.

This fine model started life as an Archangel VoR

This Accucraft shay pottered around for a while

Take some brass sheet, a Bertie chassis and some castings and you get a Sir Hadyn!

I must try this photo style again, the view from Dylan's footplate as she, Minnie & Sir Hadyn rest.

Dylan pauses for thought...
...twice

Minnie & Dylan cool down at the end of the day.

I should have enough video clips from the last two running days to be able to make a short video.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Nice pics, you don't half seem to get some interesting locos at York MES, although the Owain Glyndwr would seem to give a reason why, I noticed the BLR roundel which would mean that it is or was owned by Barry Milner, who has a lot of interesting and weird locos.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:53 pm

The Roundhouse Darj "B" in blue seems to have almost identical lining as mine. Not totally prototypical but good to look at!

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:52 pm

laalratty:104150 wrote:Nice pics, you don't half seem to get some interesting locos at York MES, although the Owain Glyndwr would seem to give a reason why, I noticed the BLR roundel which would mean that it is or was owned by Barry Milner, who has a lot of interesting and weird locos.
It still is one of Barry's, as are most of the locos that are seen on the line, I'm still not sure where they're all coming from!  :lol:

The video I threatened to put up is finally ready. I would have posted earlier but I had to wait a long time for Youtube to upload it, I'm glad it's only a short video now!

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/DIcd9GDPAno?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/DIcd9GDPAno?version=3&hl=en_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Nice little video :)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Excellent video. I especially like the end-of-summer sunlight at the beginning ... with the inevitable shadows towards the end. :?