York Model Engineering Society

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:34 pm

That's the running days for 2014 done and dusted. Minnie was out as I wanted to test her out following the replacement of her chuff pipe with two straight through pipes and she sounds better (a very subjective matter however) and looks better with a pleasing plume of steam.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pQuSaUN6ucQ?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pQuSaUN6ucQ?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Some great photos there! Looking forward to seeing what comes next :)
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Nice photos and film of Minnie. I think the chuff sounds fine.
What an amazing array of articulated locos. The Mallet looks amazing. What on earth is the blue monster with three driving bogies?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Sorry its not a Mallet, its a Meyer.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:42 am

Looks like you had a productive end of the year running day.

Due to the weather our Group's last running day tomorrow has just been cancelled so I'm left with my Edrig which was oiled, watered & gassed up for the running day earlier this month which was also affected by the weather.

Chris Cairns

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:55 am

Thanks guys. :D

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Somehow we braved the cold today to play trains, as my meths fired machine Dylan was out. The old girl was running well until a derailment dragged the whole train off the line, including Dylan. There doesn't appear to be any major damage fortunately although her cab roof is bent and missing one of the brackets, there are scratches & chips out of her paintwork and the loco tender drawbar is a bit out of kilter now. :crybaby:
On the bright side I've wanted a loco of mine lined out for a while & this might just be the opportunity to send Dylan's body off for some TLC & lining.

Good thing I have another of these lying about!

There should be a video up by the end of tomorrow

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:28 pm

looks like an interesting machine, did you make it? im looking forward to the video.

cheers
Joe
Steam is highly under rated

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:42 pm

Nice frosty pics there. At least the damage is not to severe. I look forwards to seeing the repainted loco. Any ideas on the colour?

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:22 pm

Joe:107510 wrote:looks like an interesting machine, did you make it? im looking forward to the video.

cheers
Joe
Thanks Joe, Dylan is a Roundhouse loco from about 30 years ago, and Tich is a Barry Milner build
Big Jim:107520 wrote:Nice frosty pics there. At least the damage is not to severe. I look forwards to seeing the repainted loco. Any ideas on the colour?
My plan is to stick with blue, it's not often seen on a Dylan and it's part of the loco's history

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:43 pm

And as promised (or perhaps threatened) here is the video.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pQuSaUN6ucQ?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sd6EzDinyQw?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:48 pm

Well, after a long spell without 'proper' internet (long story, not my fault) I'm able to share photos from 15th February, a mere 3 weeks after I wanted to! Hopefully normality has been restored but I wouldn't bet on it.

After works attention from her attempt at flight including bending the roof straight and squaring the chassis 'Diving' Dylan was back!

I'd finished my P-Way coach after fitting a 12oz fishing weight to it's floor, finding a source of suitable lead proved to be one of the most difficult jobs of the whole build! I'm not too sure how well the steps will last, but if they need replacing I've got something more heavy duty albeit not as elegant in mind.

Dylan was having a hard time getting the full P-Way train up some of the gradients so she was put in charge of a lighter train, with the heavy resin stock making sure I'd have a siding to retire to.

A Peter Angus Sentinel took the rest of my p-way train for a couple of laps

An old grimy Merlin shuffles along, trying to keep a safe distance from the slow but steady Sentinel

And to end this somewhat delayed post, a couple of locos from America (well China & Doncaster, but who cares?)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:05 pm

An interesting variety of live steam locos. Thank You for sharing them.

Our 16mm Group's 1st running day of 2015 was cancelled at short notice at the beginning of this month, so fingers crossed for this Sunday's running day. Just been preparing my Edrig for it's first outdoor session.

Chris Cairns

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:40 pm

Here's the selection from today's running day.

After handling the first two running days I left Dylan at home and unleashed Minnie with my P-Way train.

Amongst the other locos was one of the earlier Stanleys

And a brand new Argyle NA class, a lovely model although it's hard to see all the detail when it's running! ;)

Providing further American motive power was this Sandy River

To round this post off a very striking and impressive beast.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:37 pm

I've finally got round to uploading the video of the last two running days. It's not my best video I fear, cobbled together and modified so much it's more like Frankenstein's monster now but who cares? :dontknow:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lt3_lONkayY?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lt3_lONkayY?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

https://youtu.be/lt3_lONkayY

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:32 pm

Once again I've left this thread slip, whoops! :oops: Here's some snaps from the last few months.

Image[

Image[

These were empty upon arrival, a great disappointment!

This loco had the loudest chuff enhancer I've ever heard, imagine a cannon firing with every chuff!

robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by robc_wa » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:28 am

Some great pictures there Will. Can you tell us anything about "Columbo"? Looks to have a Baldwin ancestry. Is it a one of?

Rob

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:18 am

Thanks, unfortunately I don't know much about Colombo, but she looks to have been built using bits of a Roundhouse Fowler. As for the inspiration your guess is as good as mine.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:04 pm

It was a busy week last week with Beddgelert on an away day on the Tuesday and Dylan running 'at home' on Wednesday afternoon plus a portable 7.25 track event on Saturday. Now that Beddgelert's regulator has been tweaked so that she can stop without having to put her in neutral and Dylan has had drastic surgery, with 'new' (2nd generation Roundhouse) cylinders fitted to make her more controllable and give her a bit more power to boot I'm getting towards having all 3 locos at full health, once Minnie is back then choosing which loco to play with will be even harder!

Beddgelert takes on water during her first lap of the line

Accucraft shays were out at times to keep us all running at sensible speeds!

This model of Talyllyn isn't to scale but more importantly it looks right and runs very well

Finally a photo of Beddgelert in motion, now to try taking video footage!

I've tried finding the prototype for this Peter Angus loco to no avail, if only I'd asked the man himself!

Big Bertha was on the prowl, looking for any loco that had run out of steam

This forney just looked right parked under a canopy

Which Beddgelert tried to steam clean later in the day

An ant's eye view of the big Hunslet taken when stuck in a traffic jam

On Wednesday afternoon Dylan was put through her paces with my opens eventually loaded with gravel and I'm pleased that she can do lap after lap without attention now, although it's a bit boring at times!  :twisted:

Earlier on Wednesday the step over the garden railway was covered over making it safer for people using it and the machines on the railway plus it should develop into a more interesting scenic section, I'm looking forward to winter when the steam plumes are greatly enhanced!

After being put through her paces Dylan waits to propel her train back into the steaming bay

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Here's a selection of photos from the most recent running day back to October last year.

To make life easier for those with meths fired engines a firing line has been added which required moving one siding and the addition of another.

Dylan hits on of the gradients with steam to spare, what makes this photo for me is the light breaking through the greenery

Minnie takes a turn with the NWNGR stock, rather suits her I think

Snowdon Ranger, an Archangel loco of 1983 vintage rolls past

Some more vintage Archangel motive power, this time a coal fired Jack

A beautifully work stained Accucraft shay ambles past.

Tich, one of Barry Milner's builds blows up in preparation for a few more laps.

With the wind trying to blow out her fire Dylan plods along

A Regner Willi potters along with a rake of empties

Gordon Bennett stutters along, she was running very poorly which was because one of the exhaust pipes had become blocked.

Due to poor rail head conditions Mountaineer required some assistance with a heavy stone train

I know it looks like Dylan was doing most of the work but Mountaineer was doing her share too.

Mountaineer recieves more assistance, this time unwanted, from an errant Mamod

Speaking of Mamods here's Baz on test having been fitted with RWM cylinders & reversing block, transforming her into a fiesty little machine.

Rosie, a much modified Millie shuffles past

Dylan struts her stuff

Even with Roundhouse's equivalent of a chuff pipe Beddgelert can produce a good plume of steam when working hard on a damp day

Running light engine Beddgelert emerges from the tunnel

Posing for the camera

At the end of a very chilly day Beddgelert blows down