York Model Engineering Society

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Nice pics, you don't half seem to get some interesting locos at York MES, although the Owain Glyndwr would seem to give a reason why, I noticed the BLR roundel which would mean that it is or was owned by Barry Milner, who has a lot of interesting and weird locos.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:53 pm

The Roundhouse Darj "B" in blue seems to have almost identical lining as mine. Not totally prototypical but good to look at!

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:52 pm

laalratty:104150 wrote:Nice pics, you don't half seem to get some interesting locos at York MES, although the Owain Glyndwr would seem to give a reason why, I noticed the BLR roundel which would mean that it is or was owned by Barry Milner, who has a lot of interesting and weird locos.
It still is one of Barry's, as are most of the locos that are seen on the line, I'm still not sure where they're all coming from!  :lol:

The video I threatened to put up is finally ready. I would have posted earlier but I had to wait a long time for Youtube to upload it, I'm glad it's only a short video now!

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/DIcd9GDPAno?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/DIcd9GDPAno?version=3&hl=en_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Nice little video :)
"What the hell is that?"

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Excellent video. I especially like the end-of-summer sunlight at the beginning ... with the inevitable shadows towards the end. :?

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:24 pm

I'd purchased a new camera earlier this month, so I was playing with that and have also got a fair amount of video footage to sift through and lump together.
The day started with Dylan running round with a mixed freight/permanent way working.

Blue is simply the colour this season!

This nicely grimy 1st generation Sandy River was put to work hauling 9 bogie coaches.

It was quite a testing day on the garden railway with 3 locos out on test after receiving attention from Barry Milner, this impressive model of Monarch being the star of the show.

Another loco on test was this Peter Angus modified Garratt.

The third loco on test was one of Peter Angus' Glyn Valley Tramway Beyer Peacocks.

Here I am stuck in the middle with you...

This recently revived tram made of a Roundhouse boiler & chassis and a Brandbright(?) body has recently been put back together after a long time in storage.

This delightful model based on the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway's 18in gauge Horwich Works locos pottered about leisurely.

Despite my liking for 'action shots', steam & speed etc I think this is my favourite photo of the day

Speaking of steam & speed... ;)

Hopefully the December running day won't be snowed off, as I want to see and hear what Minnie's like now that she's been refitted with straight pipes instead of a chuffer.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Some nice photos, and interesting locos. That grimy Sandy River looks lovely, but strange that its got a Mull and West Highland badge on the tender.
"What the hell is that?"

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:08 pm

Coor - plenty of interest. How many burners did the monarch have to keep up with those engines?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:31 pm

laalratty:105772 wrote:Some nice photos, and interesting locos. That grimy Sandy River looks lovely, but strange that its got a Mull and West Highland badge on the tender.
I pondered that, although it slipped my mind to ask her owner
Mr. Bond of the DVLR:105773 wrote:Coor - plenty of interest. How many burners did the monarch have to keep up with those engines?
From close investigation (zooming in on one of my photos!) it looks like it runs on 1 burner. I hope that the person who built her will write something about the construction as it's an interesting model, and not something one sees often.

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:58 pm

Peter must have been there in person. That Sentinel "Noah" is his personal one!

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't think Peter was there.

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:00 pm

I am near certain he will have been, not knowing anyone else with a sentinel called Noah. He's one of those people where you can totally pass him by unless you know he's there.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:20 am

Here's the video from Sunday, once again trying to embed videos on this forum has beaten me! :evil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C429j9WGLvw

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Your Dylan sounds very nicely set up. The whistle on the tram wants the mouth making longer to stop the oversounding. Your wagons look very well together with their white walled tires. I've just noticed the industrial buildings in the background of some shots - any more info?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks to the advice from Chris I've managed to embed the video at last!
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about9208.html

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C429j9WGLvw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C429j9WGLvw?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Cheers Zach, I'll pass the message on about the whistle. The industrial buildings have all been made by one member of the society mainly using wood & scrap found at the club, it even has a rope railway!

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:34 pm

That's the running days for 2014 done and dusted. Minnie was out as I wanted to test her out following the replacement of her chuff pipe with two straight through pipes and she sounds better (a very subjective matter however) and looks better with a pleasing plume of steam.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pQuSaUN6ucQ?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pQuSaUN6ucQ?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Some great photos there! Looking forward to seeing what comes next :)
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Nice photos and film of Minnie. I think the chuff sounds fine.
What an amazing array of articulated locos. The Mallet looks amazing. What on earth is the blue monster with three driving bogies?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Sorry its not a Mallet, its a Meyer.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:42 am

Looks like you had a productive end of the year running day.

Due to the weather our Group's last running day tomorrow has just been cancelled so I'm left with my Edrig which was oiled, watered & gassed up for the running day earlier this month which was also affected by the weather.

Chris Cairns