Double-headed cane train

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Double-headed cane train

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:06 am

With little current work to contribute to the forum, here's some photos I took last May at the Zillmere club track in North Brisbane.
The visiting Roundhouse Fowler is owned by one of the very few 32-millers in Aust, and if I recall correctly, was fitted with a Slomo.
At the time, my Fowler and cane trucks were on 45mm. In fact this was the trucks' first and only run on 45mm, before my decision to convert them to 32mm.
We had no problems running them together on the dual-gauge track.
IMG_9797.JPG
IMG_9797.JPG (251.32 KiB) Viewed 4659 times
IMG_9813.JPG
IMG_9813.JPG (179.82 KiB) Viewed 4659 times

Accidentally snagged Ben G. in shot. :lol:
IMG_9799.JPG
IMG_9799.JPG (239.2 KiB) Viewed 4659 times
IMG_9798.JPG
IMG_9798.JPG (247.23 KiB) Viewed 4659 times

IMG_9820.JPG
IMG_9820.JPG (192.35 KiB) Viewed 4659 times
Weather was touch-and-go, (I always bring light plastic dropsheets!) but a great time was had, well into the night. I had to leave early as my batteries died (mine, not the loco!) and I knew the two hour train ride home would finish me off. Looking forward to being free of public transport, and doing this sort of thing more often.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Double-headed cane train

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:38 am

Looks like a really enjoyable session.
Is the lead loco subtly or just naturally weathered? Whichever, it looks very effective.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:53 am

Great photos, thanks for posting!

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:29 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:38 am Looks like a really enjoyable session.
Is the lead loco subtly or just naturally weathered? Whichever, it looks very effective.

Rik
Not so subtly, I think he used enamels. Danny does all his locos like that, lends them a "fleet" appearance. The Fowler 0-4-0T at the bottom of Dazza's page is another of Danny's weathering jobs. I quite like his work, if you haven't guessed. :lol:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:37 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:29 pm
ge_rik wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:38 am Looks like a really enjoyable session.

Rik
Not so subtly, I think he used enamels. Danny does all his locos like that, lends them a "fleet" appearance. The Fowler 0-4-0T at the bottom of Dazza's page is another of Danny's weathering jobs. I quite like his work, if you haven't guessed. :lol:
It's very good indeed.

You've made me think of "Danny's Bull", even though that's sort of the opposite. Danny Someone-or-other was shedmaster at Aberystwyth during the last years of steam, and used to brighten up the tired old Manor class locos that pulled the Cambrian Coast Express by cleaning them as much as possible, then painting the buffers plus the smokebox dart and hinges in white...