Running at Guildford Model Engineering Society

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Running at Guildford Model Engineering Society

Post by angr607 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:56 pm

Seeing as there might be a few people that might want to keep posting in here, time for a load of images from my running at GMES! Mainly focusing on steam on Gauge one at first (planning to run 16mm when I'm next down for a change).

Starting with the first open day my Gauge one stock ran at in August 2020 -

First Sentinel with a short Passenger set

Baguley with the goods

Baguley with the Passenger train

After a swap of stock, both engines with each others trains.

Another member ran his Western with my stock. Shows the difference between 10mm scale (engine) and 1:32 (coaches)

Another image of both engines crossing each other

Baguley working one of the last trains of the day.

Both engines ran on one battery pack all day including running before the public showed up.
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Running at Guildford Model Engineering Society

Post by angr607 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:06 pm

September bought yet more shunter running (at the time the only two engines I had) with the rest of the compartment coaches alongside the Push Pull set making its first appearences. The two PDF Models powered shunters proving their strenght and sheer pulling power.

A fully painted goods train running behind the nearly finished baguley.

Sentinel Mark 2 with a mixed train.

Sentinel passing the Baguley in the sidings.

Stock sat in the front sidings on the gauge one layout.

Push-Pull set on its first run with a extra 100 seater and PMV. It now has its own dedicated 100 seater and PMV in matching Crimson.

First of many double headings between the two shunters proving it can be done using locoremotes!

The then full SR set of 4 Compartment coaches and PMV running with the Baguley. Since joined by a extra 100 seater.

4 SR Compartment and 2 Push Pull coaches rounding the layout over the access bridge. I think the Baguley/Sentinel could manage 7 but 6 seems to be the right maximum if I want the Battery to last!

The then maximum length train ever run on the Gauge one layout with my own stock

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:09 pm

October's running used the full 5 coach SR Compartment set. Certainly looks the part which is good!

Rounding the rear curve.

All 5 in the front sidings.

Sentinel and the set running towards the front of the layout

Baguley getting ready to run round at the front (I tend to do shuttles around the outer loop with a run round on each end if the main tracks are busy)

Baguley on another trip round.

The points allow for interesting runs to heres the set leaving the rear 'loop' running back towards the front.

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:12 pm

Small Jump to December as due to lockdown I wasn't able to get to the club in November.

Baguley with the then new Thanet stock on its first runs. Probably going to end up repainting the entire set Maunsell Green to match the rest so it doesn't stick out when running.

Continentals on their first run. The increased wieght of each coach compared to teh corridor coaches was at this point not fully appreciated.

Ruston 88DS on one of its first runs. Probably not a major performer going forward but due to its motor, a very capable shunter for the front of the layout with a number of wagons.

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:16 pm

Again due to lockdowns, not much more club running until the end of March when the Schools went down for its Boiler test and some extended running. Again, the issues re steaming weren't quite known at this point with it being suspected to be needing running in. Its only with heavier loads did the issues rear their head.

The then new SR goods stock completing another long held wish on the list.

Schools on what was referred to as a 'express goods'.

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:23 pm

April and May 2021 are covered together. While the Schools and Shunters saw a lot of running at the April open day, the schools steaming issues were becoming more of a issue and it wasn't until the GMES delayed christmas barbecue in June with another member gave it a MoT completely transforming its steaming ability. Now we can't shut the thing up and maintaining pressure with nearly any load isn't a problem with 8 coaches being the longest tried to date. It now also runs forwards as the front bogie was adjusted to keep it on the track!

Single Image from April's open day. A short 3 coach train which is all the schools could manage and maintain pressure on reliably.

The new GWR stock behind the trusty Baguley

The pending testing Scenery Van and Maunsell Coaches. Still not painted at the time of writing but will be going into Maunsell Green along with the Thanets during the next painting session.

Schools with the Maunsells. A little stop start but better than before.

At the time, the entire working fleet including the coffee grinder 33 as it was called (its replacement is well in hand with a second Fosworks powered one being built)

33/2 on test. 6 proved to be its limit with its gearing.

Rounding the curve towards the front.

Schools trying to maintain pressure with 6. Sometimes it would do it, sometimes not.

All 4 of the Battery fleet together (since grown)

Schools on another test run

A I'll admit posed image of the schools running smokebox first on the outer track.

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:30 pm

June 2021 time! The first open day where the schools truly started to perform like it should with 8 coach running all day. The 33/0 also made its first appearance pulling a 8 coach plus schools test train for the first time. Not the longest its pulled though......

33/0 towing a dead schools and 8 coaches.

What I'd call a more normal load, 33/0 and a 8 coach train.

Nearing the front of the layout and making light work of its train.

Schools with a 8 coach train. The image not showing the fact the safety valves were feathering.......

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:40 pm

Gala time! All 3 steamers in use alongside the 33/0. 33/2 having been withdrawn pending replacement and sale.

The entire working fleet together. For now. J70, 33/2, 73/0 and Class 201 to follow!

Radial on one of its many runnings with its matching coaches. Which spent the entire weekend outside proving MDF coaches can take one hell of a soaking unprotected (do as I say not as I do).

Radial and 33 crossing each other on the Saturday evening.

Radial passing the front sidings with its train.

Victory with a tame 5 coach train.

Victory proving why they're known for being very powerful. 12 Coaches and not breaking a sweat.

Just showing the sheer length of the train. Filling over a quarter of the end curve. While climbing a gradient.....

Class 33/0 proving it can also put its power down. Still not above 40% power but that was to start the train before dropping down to 25%.

Radial getting ready to go out again after another shower.

Victory again on a shorter train. Fortunately shorter train means longer run.

Schools doing its thing. Fortunately starting to get used to it which is making running easier as is the two lines I put on the regulator and blower knobs to know what setting they're at!

33/0 on one of its thunderbird runs pulling another members Mark 1s.

Taken early on the saturday before the weekend's running had started.

In the rain, Radial running with another member's steel (I think, or might be brass) bodied stock

The gala was a weekend of running with other stock. Knowing these coaches to be some of the heaviest in the club, naturally the victory gave it a go. With 7. Class 33/0 had a minor strop which was put down to a dying battery!

33/0 crossing off the main onto the front loops so someone else can run.

The schools doing the same thing abet at the end of the Saturday getting ready for a break.

Rebuilding the Railway!