Oil tankers

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Oil tankers

Post by RylstonLight » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:48 pm

The running sheds at Rylston are land-locked from the road. Consequently fuel has always been moved in by rail. The advent of IC engines meant the need for a storage tank and two narrow-gauge tanks to transport the fuel oil in. These were painted in a somewhat fanciful livery in the early heritage era, and it is assumed that neither Shell or BP knew of the appropriation of their branding. Still they do brighten up the demonstration goods from its otherwise ubiquitous grey.
6D3C8ECB-44F7-4C1A-A05B-3C6FCC20AC56.jpeg
6D3C8ECB-44F7-4C1A-A05B-3C6FCC20AC56.jpeg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 6847 times
Andy S.
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Oil tankers

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:57 am

Nicely done. Especially the subtle weathering

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:09 am

Another really atmospheric photo! I have one of those Swift Sixteen tankers, and found it to be ridiculously heavy with the solid resin tank, so I remodelled that part using a length of drainpipe (and copious nail gems as rivets) instead. The resin tank finished up as an above ground diesel storage tank for fuelling locos.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:44 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:09 am . . . and found it to be ridiculously heavy with the solid resin tank, so I remodelled that part using a length of drainpipe (and copious nail gems as rivets) instead.
Thanks for heads up as I did wonder.

Andy S.
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:07 pm

RylstonLight wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:44 am
Lonsdaler wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:09 am . . . and found it to be ridiculously heavy with the solid resin tank, so I remodelled that part using a length of drainpipe (and copious nail gems as rivets) instead.
Thanks for heads up as I did wonder.

Andy S.
If you run on short radius curves as I usually do, putting one in the wrong place in a train would cause it to topple, largely because the centre of gravity of the waggon is quite high.
Phil

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:53 pm

Nice job. A solid resin tank doesn't seem a sensible idea not just the weight it would use a lot of material too.

Don

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:54 pm

I love it, nice work.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:48 am

Comp2020redcolour.jpg
Comp2020redcolour.jpg (8.59 MiB) Viewed 6451 times
Just an example from my collection. A bit of silliness really as I have some MOD type wagons that surface from time to time.

I have three of the Swift Sixteen tankers and yes they are very heavy. I got part way through converting them from 4 wheel wagons into bogie wagons using Swift Sixteen WD bogies but can't remember why the project was postponed. In fact I'd forgotten about them till I saw this post. They will get finished.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:05 pm

andymctractor wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:48 am Comp2020redcolour.jpg
Just an example from my collection. A bit of silliness really as I have some MOD type wagons that surface from time to time.

I have three of the Swift Sixteen tankers and yes they are very heavy. I got part way through converting them from 4 wheel wagons into bogie wagons using Swift Sixteen WD bogies but can't remember why the project was postponed. In fact I'd forgotten about them till I saw this post. They will get finished.
Nice. Is the brake gear home made Andy, or from a kit?
Phil

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:20 am

Nice. Is the brake gear home made Andy, or from a kit?
[/quote]

This was a kit I bought near the start of my 'garden railway time' so 10 years plus ago. There were other 32mm gauge wagons in the range including some RN armament depot style flat wagons that I have.
The brake gear was cast in the same resin like material as the rest of the wagon but required quite a lot of careful cleaning of the castings on the smaller parts. This tanker was also a solid casting but being smaller than the Swift Sixteen's one, it is less obvious.
Sadly I believe the manufacturer passed on. Perhaps one of our members with better memories might remember him?
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:10 pm

andymctractor wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:20 am Nice. Is the brake gear home made Andy, or from a kit?
This was a kit I bought near the start of my 'garden railway time' so 10 years plus ago. There were other 32mm gauge wagons in the range including some RN armament depot style flat wagons that I have.
The brake gear was cast in the same resin like material as the rest of the wagon but required quite a lot of careful cleaning of the castings on the smaller parts. This tanker was also a solid casting but being smaller than the Swift Sixteen's one, it is less obvious.
Sadly I believe the manufacturer passed on. Perhaps one of our members with better memories might remember him?
[/quote]

Thanks Andy. I initially thought it was a Swift Sixteen tanker that you had embellished. Not sure that he's passed on, but could it be an Andel Models offering?
Phil

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:19 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:10 pm
andymctractor wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:20 am Nice. Is the brake gear home made Andy, or from a kit?
Thanks Andy. I initially thought it was a Swift Sixteen tanker that you had embellished. Not sure that he's passed on, but could it be an Andel Models offering?
You are right. Andel Models it was. Apologies to the guy concerned. I wasn’t predicting an early demise..
Regards
Andy McMahon