Crowfoot Light Railway 2020 spring clean in progress

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Crowfoot Light Railway 2020 spring clean in progress

Post by andymctractor » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:56 pm

Just a quick showing.
The Hungry Dragon pub is a 16mm/ft resin kit from Pendle Valley though not constructed in accordance with the instructions. The photo shows it in its planned location after the winter has been washed from the railway and the fresh spring growth has yet to fill in some of the gaps.
There are a number of accessories that together with this model and others were intended to see the light of day at our May 2020 open day, which of course has had to be postponed.
The small building in the foreground is a crossing keepers cottage also make from a Pendle Valley kit. The crossing gates are missing in this photo.
3.jpg
3.jpg (424.42 KiB) Viewed 9587 times
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Crowfoot Light Railway 2020 spring clean in progress

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:25 pm

This is the first time I have seen the Crossing Keepers Cottage kit as supplied from Pendle Valley, it is made from parts of their Station building kit which I modified and sent an image to them to show the changes made. It was agreed they could market the new design and they have done so.
This is the one I made.....
IMG_5747.JPG
IMG_5747.JPG (178.66 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
The rest of the station building ended up like this....
IMG_4088.JPG
IMG_4088.JPG (183.27 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:13 am

The pub certainly looks right at home there Andy, good to see another railway coming alive again.
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:49 am

Nice job Andy, thanks for showing us.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 am

The pub looks excellent, and it really suits that location. The locals must be looking forward to being able to visit again...

Andrew.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:06 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 am The pub looks excellent, and it really suits that location.
Andrew.
The original plan was for this location to be used for a Cain Howley church but that is still unfinished and will now be elsewhere on the railway.
Thanks all for the comments.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:05 am

What a great looking railway. Even though the stone buildings are a bit 'foreign' to my antipodean eyes, I'd love to visit that pub and maybe have some scrumpy.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:34 am

Fantastic looking building Andy. Really is looking the part in the location.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:37 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:25 pm This is the first time I have seen the Crossing Keepers Cottage kit as supplied from Pendle Valley, it is made from parts of their Station building kit which I modified and sent an image to them to show the changes made. It was agreed they could market the new design and they have done so.
This is the one I made.....
IMG_5747.JPG
The rest of the station building ended up like this....
IMG_4088.JPG
Once again Peter, your'e skills at turning things into a work of art are outstanding. Truly someone who has a magic touch when it comes to builds..

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:44 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:25 pm This is the one I made.....
Looks good.
A niggle I have with Pendle kits is the downpipes cast on as part of the walls especially when the casting isn't very effective. Previously, with the engine shed and goods shed I have hacked off the cast on versions and cleaned out the mortar courses to smarten this up. Where this idea falls down is where I need to construct rainwater goods at a later date and haven't.
The downpipes on the pub were left on and they don't look too bad.
Regards
Andy McMahon

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:53 am

gregh wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:05 am What a great looking railway. Even though the stone buildings are a bit 'foreign' to my antipodean eyes, I'd love to visit that pub and maybe have some scrumpy.
Coming from you that is a great compliment. Thanks.
By the way, The Hungry Dragon pub is located 'somewhere in Wales' and while they will probably sell cider, if you wish for some real scrumpy, you might be tempted to venture south of the Severn Estuary and find some seedy joint in one of the port areas of Devon. At least there were some there in the 1970s. The real stuff is probably illegal now. :shock:
Regards
Andy McMahon

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:54 pm

Andy, agreed about the cast down-pipes, although if the building is constructed to plan they should be in the correct position, plus they are stronger than separately attached ones.
My only criticism about any resin structure is they tend to shed paint, unlike HIP structures which retain even acrylic, without varnish, with no problems.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:52 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:54 pm
My only criticism about any resin structure is they tend to shed paint, unlike HIP structures which retain even acrylic, without varnish, with no problems.
I don't have a problem with shedding paint but this could be because I take my buildings into storage at the end of an operating session or a few days of operating. This involves a lot of effort but I enjoy setting things up differently each time and I also have the problem of a large golden retriever who does a nightly patrol through everything that is left out. I know you put yours away for the winter but you leave them out in the warmer months, as I understand anyway.
Other than this I always file and sand clean all resin castings and other parts (even if the manufacturer says it isn't necessary) and wash with sugar soap before construction. After basic construction I then prime them with car primer and then use either enamel or acrylic paints to finish and often matt varnish over any decals or small details.
I do have three buildings that stay out all the time. One is a Cain Howley pill box another is a jigstones built hut I painted with masonry paint tester pots and the third a Cain Howley church which I have had for years and haven''t fitted all the bits to and haven't painted yet. They've stood the test of time.
Regards
Andy McMahon

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:09 am

More buildings getting the treatment.
My latest full build in progress is this Kippo model.  Most buildings on the CLR are stone or timber.
My latest full build in progress is this Kippo model. Most buildings on the CLR are stone or timber.
IMG_0392web.jpg (451.97 KiB) Viewed 9231 times
This stationary  steam engine was intended to be viewable from the open door of the mining company offices, but I inadvertently glued up the floor and couldn't get it in.  Ongoing project to find a place where it can be clearly viewed.
This stationary steam engine was intended to be viewable from the open door of the mining company offices, but I inadvertently glued up the floor and couldn't get it in. Ongoing project to find a place where it can be clearly viewed.
IMG_0369web1.jpg (492.68 KiB) Viewed 9231 times
Here is the mining company offices.  A bit to the right can be seen the locations for the buildings on Bramley Bank Stn.
Here is the mining company offices. A bit to the right can be seen the locations for the buildings on Bramley Bank Stn.
IMG_0362web4.jpg (491.16 KiB) Viewed 9231 times
Here can be seen the low profile factory that started life as the background to Crowfoot Stn. but is here on the approach to Bramley Bank, where I think it will stay.  Hope the 12"/ft foliage gets a move on.
Here can be seen the low profile factory that started life as the background to Crowfoot Stn. but is here on the approach to Bramley Bank, where I think it will stay. Hope the 12"/ft foliage gets a move on.
IMG_0355web3.jpg (499.38 KiB) Viewed 9231 times
Regards
Andy McMahon

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:15 am

The paint finish on the factory building is superb! Never heard of Kippo Models, just about to look up now.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:20 am

Agree, the paint is very well done.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:30 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:15 am The paint finish on the factory building is superb! Never heard of Kippo Models, just about to look up now.
The factory building frontage is 3 x Low relief brick factory walls from Pendle Valley. I gave it a bit more depth with foam modelling board covered with plastic corrugated sheeting that I think I bought from Brandbright in the last century. The two main downpipes are plastic knitting needles I convinced my wife she didn't need. The chimney is from Modeltown.
I painted the front wall of the factory after the usual car primer treatement by using a spray red lead from Halfords. When fully dry it was teated with gunk and messy stuff from a Wargame shop. When dry it was then treated with weathering powder and once it looked fine a coat of matt acrylic varnish all over. Then fit the windows. The green foliage was an afterthought but looks ok.
Apologies if I've gone on a bit.
Regards
Andy McMahon

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:52 pm

We all have our own methods and there can never be a 'best way,' just the way we like it. I use Games Workshop for all of my acrylics, including the brown wash to give depth and shade in all of the recesses.
Also, having looked up the previously unknown Kippo Models, they do look very well made and at sensible prices too. Thanks for that.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:35 am

I love the grimy old works. Like Peter, I make use of Games Workshop (Citadel?) acrylics, but also Revell acrylics for large areas of colour.
The Citadel earth wash is ideal for highlighting detail on everything, be it buildings or figures.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:43 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:35 am I love the grimy old works. Like Peter, I make use of Games Workshop (Citadel?) acrylics, but also Revell acrylics for large areas of colour.
The Citadel earth wash is ideal for highlighting detail on everything, be it buildings or figures.
I agree, the Revell acrylics are especially good for colours such as yellow or where otherwise several coats are needed. When figure painting or other painting jobs where several different colours or hues are required the quick drying capability matched with the good covering ability is very useful and time saving. Also while they are not cheap they are widely available.
Also (sorry to go on again) the staff in those Games Workshops are very open to all sorts of advice on techniques and hints at getting the best use out of their stuff. They don't role their eyes when you tell them you do trains. :shock:
Regards
Andy McMahon