Lets see your Pearse live steam locos

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Lets see your Pearse live steam locos

Post by artfull dodger » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Lets start a Pearse photo collection. Post up your Pearse live steamers, be they in the garden or sitting on the kitchen counter. Here is one of my two Pearse engines(waiting on FedEx to deliver #2). W&L #1 The Earl, works number 108, lined, RCS 2.4ghz RC control and very worn but still a strong runner. Will be off to Wee Bee Loco Works shops after the new year to get side rods bushed as they are quite ovaled out from years of running.

My other piece is technically will be my wife's locomotive, a USA style 0-4-0 switcher. Pics once it arrives on our railway.
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Lets see your Pearse live steam locos

Post by steamgeorge » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:37 pm

Good idea.....

Here's my Dads Auric awaiting a rebuild - hopefully it will be running in the spring. He thinks he has all the parts bar a bracket to hold the boiler to the chassis.

George.
Attachments
IMG_3783.jpeg
IMG_3783.jpeg (96.56 KiB) Viewed 7521 times

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:49 am

Very nice, I'm actively looking for a other Pearse engine to buy, either UK style or USA. But is has to be 45mm gauge/dual gauge for my line

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:23 am

Here is my new Pearse 0-4-0 Switcher, slowly coming back from the dead. Frame took a hit on the front corner which bent it over and bound up the front axle. I took her somewhat apart and "adjusted" things to free up the bind. She now runs well, frame is stil tweaked a bit, will require a full tear down to the bare frame rails to totally fix the damage. Right now I cannot figure out how to get the boiler off the front of the chassis as the steam line keeps it from lifting clear. Very different "T" flue boiler that lacks the more common smoke box we are all used to. But it gives the model a massive water capacity since the water goes all the way to the very front of the locomotive. I will get pics on the railway soon, the tender is apart to clean up the RC install and fit working lights. Mike

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:32 am

Here is a better picture of the whole Switcher with its tender. Got the decals installed and the front/rear headlight bulbs and wiring done. Still need to repair the hood hinge, one end arm is missing. Need to find a big enough piece of sheet brass to form up a new one. So right now the roof wont stay put when running as it just slides around. She is works number 396 Mike the Aspie

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:58 am

I like that switcher very much!

I've always liked that type of loco, perhaps because bigger US engines are so massive compared to those we have here in the UK. I like those wedge-shaped tenders too - is that a visibility thing, to allow the driver to have a better view when travelling tender-first?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing it running. It's certainly an unusual shed-mate for The Earl, but I guess no more so than the German, Austrian, Romanian or Finnish locos that the real thing's encountered at Llanfair!

All the best,

Andrew.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Our railway is duel theme, being W&L on one side and USA shortline/logging on the other. The slope back tender was for engine driver to better see his brakeman's hand signals in the days before radio control. This type of engine would have spent her days breaking down and building up road freight trains in the yard. With the occasional switching job in the industrial tracks thru the city. I am slowly trying to standardize on Pearse engines since I have a supply of spares that I got from ANG when Earl was purchased. Although I do have a RH on order for late 2020, but I may shift which model I have on order to one due in May if there are any slots open on that model, or cancel it if someone offers up a nice Pearse model for me to purchase! RC control will be on all of my engines as well. Really helps with my anxiety when a manual control engine decides to go to warp speed as it approaches a curve with a 4' drop to the ground should it derail. Mike