DMLR - Yesterday

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

DMLR - Yesterday

Post by -steves- » Sun May 26, 2019 8:59 am

Just a two photo's and a little video, but I thought I would share them anyway :)

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: DMLR - Yesterday

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 26, 2019 9:50 am

Lovely weather there Steve, I was jet washing all day unfortunately.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun May 26, 2019 11:50 am

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Sun May 26, 2019 9:50 am Lovely weather there Steve, I was jet washing all day unfortunately.
It was indeed cracking weather, had another BBQ and decided it best to get some trains running while I had the opportunity :thumbup:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 26, 2019 12:59 pm

Nice little video, Steve.
Sounds like you (or someone) kicked the bucket near the beginning.
All it needs now is a soundcard.
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 27, 2019 8:43 am

Great video Steve. The photos look good too. :thumbright:

Can you please tell me what you used for the boards. Are they marine ply or something else.?
And how did you cover them?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon May 27, 2019 6:14 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Mon May 27, 2019 8:43 am Great video Steve. The photos look good too. :thumbright:

Can you please tell me what you used for the boards. Are they marine ply or something else.?
And how did you cover them?
Hi Rod

They are simply patio decking boards painted with external garden paint. In the planted areas they have a thin layer of weed screen on to stop the mud going through, but in hindsight I should have done all of it in weed screen as even the smaller gravel falls through the gaps on the straights.

I recently did the same thing for my parents railway and managed to cover all the boards with a weed screen which has worked out much better than my own. We live and learn new things every day, lol :)

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:24 pm

Great video and pictures steves. I like your layout and that decking boards have been used to build the baseboards.
Regards
Kevin

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon May 27, 2019 7:49 pm

Thanks for the update, things are looking good - I love those carriages!

Scrabbling around on my hands and needs with various bits of shrubbery poking at me as I try to progress the landscaping on my ground level line can sometimes make me wish I'd gone down a similar route to you - your layout looks great.

All the best,

Andrew.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon May 27, 2019 8:16 pm

steamer68 wrote: ↑Mon May 27, 2019 7:24 pm Great video and pictures steves. I like your layout and that decking boards have been used to build the baseboards.
Thanks Kevin. Glad you like it. To be fair it was done as a cost efficient option and I count myself very lucky to have bought some nice loco's while I was working. I am a full time carer for my wife now and everything will either be home made or at very least, traded in some way, shape or form. :thumbup:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon May 27, 2019 8:27 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Mon May 27, 2019 7:49 pm Thanks for the update, things are looking good - I love those carriages!

Scrabbling around on my hands and needs with various bits of shrubbery poking at me as I try to progress the landscaping on my ground level line can sometimes make me wish I'd gone down a similar route to you - your layout looks great.

All the best,

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew.

The coaches were purchased from a local club member at the Peterborough club. I believe they are Brandbirght 5 compartment coaches with extra fittings on them. He painted them all up himself and has been using them for a number of years but decided to go for smaller ones and has purchased either the 3 or 4 compartment coaches now. They are quite heavy and take some pulling, but I do like them. My step father had the other two from him, from memory one was red and one was blue, but they make a great rake when they are all together.

The reason for the raised track was exactly that. I love ground railways to look at, in fact I think they are amazing but personally I really struggle with my back and knees, have done for years and figured as I am not getting any younger I would go for the same option as my step father did on his. A few posts in the ground and some decking boards. Obviously not the most realistic of backdrops or layouts, but it is extremely practical and easy to maintain in all aspects, be it line work or the gardening side which my wife also loves doing and I can get here around to much of the layout to help tend to it with me. Clearly all the gardening planning was my wife's work as I have no idea when it comes to these things. :thumbup:

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi Steve’s I’m currently purchasing accucraft wagons along with Peco SM32 track. At the same time I am saving up for a Roundhouse Millie so I will be only be able to afford things as I go along.
I am looking forward to building the garden layout which will be oval in shape with one siding. Plain and simple but once planted around should look great.
Regards
Kevin

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon May 27, 2019 8:47 pm

steamer68 wrote: ↑Mon May 27, 2019 8:35 pm Hi Steve’s I’m currently purchasing accucraft wagons along with Peco SM32 track. At the same time I am saving up for a Roundhouse Millie so I will be only be able to afford things as I go along.
I am looking forward to building the garden layout which will be oval in shape with one siding. Plain and simple but once planted around should look great.
Hi Kevin

We all remember the first loco and rolling stock one bit at a time. I was lucky and could borrow the club track and my step fathers track before having to purchase my own and it wasn't until some years later after getting the track that I actually put the boards up, I used to just put the track on the grass and support it with blocks of wood until it was roughly flat. Not everyone has an bottomless pockets and many of us also save up and make things ourselves. :thumbup:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 28, 2019 7:06 am

-steves- wrote: ↑Mon May 27, 2019 8:47 pm Not everyone has an bottomless pockets and many of us also save up and make things ourselves. :thumbup:
Thanks for the reply on the boards Steve. I only asked because of the board I am using around the small tree on our extension to our line.

You are so correct on not having bottomless pockets. That's what so frustrating about our gauge and for the most part all the other gauges, is the price that you would and are expected to pay for most items for our hobby. Besides making stuff is quite enjoyable don't you think.