New Photographic Competition

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here

Would you be interested in taking part in a Quarterly Photographic Competition for the forum.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 28

Andrew

Re: New Photographic Competition

Post by Andrew » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:29 am

Well it's a tentative yes from me, thanks for taking it on Philip! "Tentative" just because I'm not much of a one for competitions, but I'd like to see what others come up with! I think I did contribute the odd entry in the old competition and will endeavour to do so again to support the venture...

Personally, since it's intended as a bit of fun, I think we could allow a little photoshopping if that will encourage more entries, as long as people say what they've done so as not to disadvantage others - eg "I've made the sky a little more blue and removed an overscale daffodil"...

Cheers,

Andrew
Last edited by Andrew on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:37 am

Agree there Andrew, it's hopefully going to be a fun competition.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 am

philipy wrote: ↑Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:53 am
Why does the Photoshop ruling "nobble" you? Do we need to rethink this rule?
You don't need to rethink this rule. I wasn't being entirely serious: It was sort of, a joke...

I've got used to helping pictures along with a bit of Photoshop: spotting, colour balance, darkening the sky, extending backgrounds, all that kind of thing - but, as was suggested in the initial post, if you were really unscrupulous (and highly skilled) you could virtually construct your image from scratch, or at the very least, combine elements from several images to deliver a killer picture. Professionals do it all the time (though not usually with garden railways - or, we hope, in journalism).

But Photoshop 'cheating' has long been an issue in some high-profile photo competitions.

By the way, I don't think people need to worry about not having 'fancy' cameras, either. Current smart phones (and cheap, compact cameras) are way more capable than what most of us would have had to use in the past, anyway.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Thanks. I think the original rule was intended to ensure a reasonably level playing field (or should that be trackbed? :) ). The comp. is not about the technical quality of the photo, so using fancy lenses and artificial digital additions/subtractions are of no value.
We allow straightening, cropping, and resizing, but it's difficult to know where to stop after that. Adjusting brightness, contrast, colour balance, sharpness, removing artefacts etc, are all things I look at when putting a picture up on a post, but not everyone is able to do that, so is it fair to allow in a competition?
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:09 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:33 pm We allow straightening, cropping, and resizing, but it's difficult to know where to stop after that. Adjusting brightness, contrast, colour balance, sharpness, removing artefacts etc, are all things I look at when putting a picture up on a post, but not everyone is able to do that, so is it fair to allow in a competition?
I'd certainly be happier submitting photos if these kinds of adjustments were permitted, some of which are even possible in-camera these days.

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Are we missing the point?
I thought this was a bit of fun on an online forum, there is no prize on offer.
I would suggest that anything goes but is accompanied with an appropriate declaration, people can then judge the result in context.

If someone is determined to 'cheat' then they will.

Edit: As an example Rik's experimentation using a blue screen to add a background. An interesting and worthy photograph in context, but at no point did he try to suggest that his Cheshire garden had uninterrupted views across the East Anglian fens.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:57 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:22 pm Are we missing the point?
I thought this was a bit of fun on an online forum, there is no prize on offer.
I would suggest that anything goes but is accompanied with an appropriate declaration, people can then judge the result in context.
Sounds sensible!

I'd be happy to do that, and aside from the whole competition aspect an explanation of what other people have done by way of processing the photograph would be of interest to me, and something I could learn from.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:18 pm

Call me 'old fashioned' but I believe that we should be sticking with absolute basics here. In order to make it equal for all we should concentrate on the interpretation of the theme and creativity of the entrant, using what is actually in front of the lens, not any magical manipulation of the image. If this is to be a competition amongst a small and friendly group we should just have fun and enjoy it, if it turns out to be more serious and acrimonious then I'm out and will not bother to enter any pictures at all, nor will I vote.
I'm sure divorce proceedings have begun over simple matters such as this, I hate to think we could be going in that direction. It is too easy to say 'if you don't like it then don't enter', but that is no way to encourage our members to remain.
Perhaps we should be asking why the previous competition ended?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:18 pm
I think ( and I stress "think") that it ended simply because the last winner failed to submit the theme for the subsequent competition and the person who was running it at that time failed to do anything about it. Having said that, I think that the number of entries for the last competition held, was very low, i.e ONE! The problem was the theme, I think, which was "Inside or around the engine shed " . There was one entry and a thread full of posts saying "I'd enter but I haven't got an engine sghed", which just emphasises the need for care when choosing a theme.
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:53 pm

I must admit that I hadn't anticipated the subject of digital processing causing the dissent that seems to have been generated, but perhaps the problem is in the title? Perhaps it shouldn't be called a "Photographic Competition" which perhaps implies that it is really all about the actual photograph and the garden railways subject is secondary? Perhaps instead we should call it something like "Garden Railway Snapshots Competition" .

Personally I believe that no processing other than basic straightening, cropping, and resizing should be allowed. We want it to be open to all members, not just those few who have the skill and equipment to do RollsRoyce enhancements

The old competition entries can be seen at https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3095 which may give a clue as to the type of photos previously submitted.
The winnesr gallery is at https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3097
Philip

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:02 pm

I'm not really fussed, whatever rules you choose to apply: whether 'rigidly restrictive' or 'anything goes' but captioned with the relevant info, as BorisS suggests. I'll have a go anyway.

I reckon a more problematic issue is likely to be coming up with appropriate, varied but viable topic suggestions (that allow everyone to be eligible), every couple of months. I wouldn't have a clue (not that I'm seriously suggesting I expect to have to make that choice).

But perhaps you don't actually need to have 'themes'?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:13 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:17 am I hope there isn't any "Photoshop" photos in the competition................... The photos should be just has taken and not touched up.......................
It just seems not to be fair on those that don't....
Well said Rod, equality for all.
I have just looked through the past competition entries and found some wonderful images with no explanation attached about making unnecessary alterations, so I have to presume they were as taken, which is perfectly adequate for the level of competition we envisage.
It is also evident that many entrants showed a flair for interpretation of the theme subject and they are the ones who gained success.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:10 am

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:18 pm Call me 'old fashioned' but I believe that we should be sticking with absolute basics here. In order to make it equal for all we should concentrate on the interpretation of the theme and creativity of the entrant, using what is actually in front of the lens, not any magical manipulation of the image. If this is to be a competition amongst a small and friendly group we should just have fun and enjoy it, if it turns out to be more serious and acrimonious then I'm out and will not bother to enter any pictures at all, nor will I vote.
I'm sure divorce proceedings have begun over simple matters such as this, I hate to think we could be going in that direction. It is too easy to say 'if you don't like it then don't enter', but that is no way to encourage our members to remain.
Well said to you also Peter. I wouldn't be entering either or voting too. Has I have mentioned, I do have a "Fancy" camera and "Photoshop" but I have never used them for my Garden Railway photos, well not "Photoshop" has you can see I think in my recent uploads on my threads.

I do have an iPhone and iPad, and they do take great photos and most of them are just for family and fun photos for Anne and I. Cropping and resizing is done by most people now anyway, if they owned up to it.

Just go ahead with it Phillip, but leave out wording such as "Competition". I am sure it would be a great success and fun if we just accept our failing...... :lol:

Just Julie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Just Julie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:12 pm

My vote is yes, :thumbright: It is for fun after all. Personally I think it should be kept basic or just cropping allowed, but If you forget about the quality of the photograph and see into the theme of it, I think everything should work out fine. :D

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:30 am

I have already stated my position on this matter but perhaps not explained my reasoning, which I think I have only just thought about deeply enough to pass on to you. My background has always been associated with fine art.... paintings, sculpture etc. and have said many times on the Forum, I consider myself an artist, not an engineer, so I think that should already put you in the picture. (....that was a joke!)

Example....... When the French Impressionists first offered their paintings to exhibition organisers/galleries, they weren't told that in order to conform to the public taste they would have to allow their work to be over-painted or modified in any way, their work was the way they saw their world. If those pictures had been doctored they certainly would not be worth the countless millions of pounds they sell for today. I'm not in any way suggesting that we are in that league, but that what we see and capture in our cameras is how we view our miniature world, and the image is our own personal work of art.
We are all creative in many fields, all we need to do is use our imagination when composing and framing the subject matter, rather than relying on technology to help us out after the event.
That's it from me!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:51 am

Agree Peter.

And that's it from me also.