Some late fall renovations and putting the line to bed

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Some late fall renovations and putting the line to bed

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:02 pm

In the mid 50's here today, so time to clean off all the leaves now the tree is mostly bare, put the fountain that goes in the middle away till spring and do some renovation. The old Aristocraft depot never fit the Austrian/German theme, so I removed it and replaced it with a Pola station(still need to make a new name board for it), revamped the platform and reinstalled my Bier Garten complete with the "lady of the night" up on the balcony. I got all the lights hooked back up but will wait for spring to glue people back on the platform. Not sure the glue would cure before rain moves in later today. In the spring I will built the extension loop that will go around the tree and tie into the exhisting layout. This will give me room for my covered bridge and complete Pola Becks Brewery complex to come out of storage.
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Big Jim

Re: Some late fall renovations and putting the line to bed

Post by Big Jim » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:53 am

This is not something I have to worry about yet. The only winter prep that happens for the PMR is to turn the heater in the shed onto frost protection.
It is nice to hear that plans for an extension are already in hand.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:02 pm

It can and does get brutally cold here in the winter with wind chills -20 to -40'F or lower and snow. In fact, wind chills tomorrow morning when I go to work, wind chills will be in the single digits. I had hoped to build the extension this fall, but it didn't come to pass, so hopefully in the spring. Mike

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:11 am

I am surprised by how cold it gets here in the Valley of Virginia, but nothing like those Midwestern numbers. Mind you we did have a 0F last year and that was on a still day! Now the frost has killed off the skeeters and the no-see-ums time to think about some outdoor construction work...

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:52 pm

If it wasn't so darn swampy and mucky in the railway area, I would do some extension work now, I dont mind the cold as I dislike sweating like crazy in the typical summer humidity we have. But we had such a wet fall that the yard is like a swamp till we stay below freezing for a few days. Mike

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:44 am

Since our usually hot summer here, all that I am experiencing since up here is winds and rain. There has been the odd couple of days where it's been nice, but too cold for me to do anything. So our line hasn't been used much at all lately.

Hope you can get something done on the modelling side though while your line is in hibernation....

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Plenty of winter projects, the 2 Regner live steamers I just bought need some things done, RC and whistle installed in the Stainz and a wood cab kit built for the Konrad, along with a nice Euro style lantern in front of the chimney. I have an HO scale layout indoors that gets attention thru the long winter months. Mike the Aspie