new elevated railway

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

new elevated railway

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue May 15, 2018 3:02 am

I spent the weekend to build the elevated railway. The original bedding was built on wood; after 5 years, they got rotted, and honestly speaking by that time, I was not knowledgeable enough to build a good bedding for the tracks. This new one is made of all PVC material, the tracks were recycled from the old system, which used R1 tracks, for small trains only. I just tested the train today, so far so good, and I am still trying to figure out how to level them; specifically, a grade at a tight curve makes a bad combination. It is not simple though even I have a lever. Any idea please let me know.
https://gardenrails.org/forum/download/ ... ew&id=3578
Attachments
etrain1.jpg
etrain1.jpg (199.61 KiB) Viewed 10444 times
etrain2.jpg
etrain2.jpg (209.85 KiB) Viewed 10444 times
etrain5.jpg
etrain5.jpg (196.25 KiB) Viewed 10444 times
0514181927a-EFFECTS.jpg
0514181927a-EFFECTS.jpg (223.57 KiB) Viewed 10437 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: new elevated railway

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 15, 2018 7:30 am

Interesting idea. Not sure about the levelling issue. Are the the legs telescopic - ie does one section fit inside another? If so, that could give you a method for adjusting the height.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue May 15, 2018 1:10 pm

ge_rik wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:30 am Interesting idea. Not sure about the levelling issue. Are the the legs telescopic - ie does one section fit inside another? If so, that could give you a method for adjusting the height.

Rik
Rik,
I learned this construction technique from Ron Karlsson. Yes, the legs are telescopic, I can adjust the height by raising up or down. I guess, the leveling process needs two persons and we have to undo several legs at one time. It's challenging for a one-person job. Probably, I will call my daughter out for a hand.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 15, 2018 6:35 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:10 pm Rik,
I learned this construction technique from Ron Karlsson. Yes, the legs are telescopic, I can adjust the height by raising up or down. I guess, the leveling process needs two persons and we have to undo several legs at one time. It's challenging for a one-person job. Probably, I will call my daughter out for a hand.
Looks like it's a case of a long spirit level. I'd have thought though, that it's a case of adjusting one leg at a time. Once you've decided which post is your datum, you need only adjust one leg at a time starting from that one. If your spirit level is accurate, by the time you get back round to the first leg, all the posts should be level.

Rik
------------------------

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Wed May 16, 2018 2:23 am

ge_rik wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:35 pm
mymodeltrain wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:10 pm Rik,
Looks like it's a case of a long spirit level. I'd have thought though, that it's a case of adjusting one leg at a time. Once you've decided which post is your datum, you need only adjust one leg at a time starting from that one. If your spirit level is accurate, by the time you get back round to the first leg, all the posts should be level.

Rik
After all I don't need a lever, instead, I observed the train speed and adjust the post where its speed is reduced; overall not very scientific but it works.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 31, 2018 7:35 am

If it works that great news, but I like Rik would put a spirit level on the track just to make sure. Also it would be an idea to put it widthways across the track, as you may find it could be curving out or in, both a recipe for falling off. At the height it is, it wouldn’t be any good for your locos…

Corsur
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Corsur » Thu May 31, 2018 10:19 am

Looks good to me :D Well done.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Thu May 31, 2018 2:34 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:35 am If it works that great news, but I like Rik would put a spirit level on the track just to make sure. Also it would be an idea to put it widthways across the track, as you may find it could be curving out or in, both a recipe for falling off. At the height it is, it wouldn’t be any good for your locos…
Thanks for suggestion; It's still not perfectly level yet; I still observe and adjust here and there but thanks for the suggestion of curving in/out; in fact, the cars fell off a few times because of that; it's painful for that height.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Thu May 31, 2018 3:05 pm

Corsur wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:19 am Looks good to me :D Well done.
Yes, it is much more better than the previous construct; this system is robust, easy to build and stable. I don't have to worry about rotten wood issues as we have so much rain in here in Nashville; everyday can be a raining day. After 5 years, every wood construct is done; it doesn't matter how much we try to re-paint/touchup yearly. My preference now is no more wood structures in the garden railway, it must be either plastic, pvc, acrylic or cement.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:07 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:02 am I spent the weekend to build the elevated railway. The original bedding was built on wood; after 5 years, they got rotted, and honestly speaking by that time, I was not knowledgeable enough to build a good bedding for the tracks. This new one is made of all PVC material, the tracks were recycled from the old system, which used R1 tracks, for small trains only. I just tested the train today, so far so good, and I am still trying to figure out how to level them; specifically, a grade at a tight curve makes a bad combination. It is not simple though even I have a lever. Any idea please let me know.
Here is the first movie of the elevate railway, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gnb2Se ... e=youtu.be

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:08 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:07 pm
mymodeltrain wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:02 am I spent the weekend to build the elevated railway. The original bedding was built on wood; after 5 years, they got rotted, and honestly speaking by that time, I was not knowledgeable enough to build a good bedding for the tracks. This new one is made of all PVC material, the tracks were recycled from the old system, which used R1 tracks, for small trains only. I just tested the train today, so far so good, and I am still trying to figure out how to level them; specifically, a grade at a tight curve makes a bad combination. It is not simple though even I have a lever. Any idea please let me know.
Here is the first movie of the elevated railway, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gnb2Se ... e=youtu.be

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:52 pm

That raised section is a nice piece of work, the Stainz was running quite smoothly so it looks like your track is fairly level.Nice to watch, thanks.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Looks like you've evened out the dips and bumps. I like that pub building.

Rik
------------------------

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:23 am

bazzer42 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:52 pm That raised section is a nice piece of work, the Stainz was running quite smoothly so it looks like your track is fairly level.Nice to watch, thanks.
Thanks, it is indeed very fun to watch the train running on the new construct every evening. Sometimes, I look back and surprised that I could do that much with little amount of time.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:30 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm Looks like you've evened out the dips and bumps. I like that pub building.

Rik
Rik,
Yes, it is leveled now; the building is weathered naturally after staying outdoor for a few years. I hope to see it lasts until the next decade.